BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: WW2 Card game for non-gamer brother? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a game to play with my brother who is a non-gamer one of his favorite themes is ww2, particularly the ground forces. I have recently bought and showed him wings of war and i saw a slight glint in his eye. I was hoping to find a CCG with the ww2 theme if one exists with similar tactical mechanics. My only concern with ccgs is the money sink they can be. other than that the idea of opening a pack of cards to find some axis riflemen and a few sherman tanks or even a rare plane would put a smile on his face for sure! That being said any ww2 card game could fit the bill.

-I got him to play one round of memoir 44, he thought it was ok but didnt like the set up time. so i dont think scenarios are that important to him.
-With wings of war i believe he liked the control he had over his units and the tactics involved i moving them into position.
-He is not very competitive, Im not sure how this affects game choice?
-Generally likes shorter games.

I know its going to be a long battle to find him a game but i am determined! so any leads will be appreciated! and if you need any more info i would be happy to fill you in.

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen The Battle for Hill 218 , it might fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spearpoint 1943 may also be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Airborne in my Pocket print and play, and if that's a hit, there's plenty of time to get in on the Kickstarter version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's out of print, but maybe Up Front

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Hill 218 is pretty good, cheap too. It's kind of abstract though and the images on the card for both the Allies and Axis are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Spearpoint 1943 may also be worth a look.

I'll second Joe's recommendation

WWII theme, card wargame, non-collectible (not a CCG), short duration (30 mins), and 1 sheet of rules. Scenarios online and a terrain-based expansion if you want to take it further...

Should fit the bill for your bro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.