Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have cable, and never tried to get hooked up with a digital antenna. Thus, we don't watch much TV, aside from a few shows available online through Hulu or Netflix. But I really regret not having come up with a plan before the Olympics this year so my 5 year old daughter could see what it's all about.

Is there any way to watch these events after the fact? I'm talking about the whole event, as covered on TV, not just the news highlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or how about even a decent treatment of the 1996 gymnastics, for example, with complete programs..? Surely that must exist somewhere, but a Google attempt failed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not watching the Olympics but I read an article about circumventing NBC's tight control over the programming. Maybe it will be of some help to you.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/us-olympics-tech-wo...

They talk about getting live streaming video as the events happen. I don't know if it will help you locate after-the-fact tapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Celebrated my son's "Star Wars" birthday and was properly kilted!
mbmbmbmbmb
BBC baby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this article as well: http://lifehacker.com/5930437/how-an-american-can-stream-the...

I got this site to work, too: http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/others.html

There are Olympic highlight dvds, but I couldn't find complete coverage. You are probably stuck with NBC's propganda version. Here's the one for this year: http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/nbcs-london-2012-olympic-hi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys rock. Thanks also to the former emperors in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I'm talking about the whole event, as covered on TV

The TV coverage sucks. I do like volleyball, and swimming is popular, but where's the badminton? Or table tennis? There was an American girl who won bronze in Judo. They brought her out for a few seconds during some other segment to congratulate her, but of course they never bothered to air her competition while it was happening. (Unless it was at 3am - I don't know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
There is also http://www.vipbox.tv/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you've said you don't have a digital antenna, if you have any kind of antenna, give it a shot and see if it works. I have an old antenna designed for analog TV and the local NBC station comes through fine in high definition letting me watch the Olympics. On the TV in the other room, I stuck a powered analog antenna designed to pick up FM radio stations, but that lets me tune it in too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rodspade wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

The TV coverage sucks. I do like volleyball, and swimming is popular, but where's the badminton? Or table tennis? There was an American girl who won bronze in Judo. They brought her out for a few seconds during some other segment to congratulate her, but of course they never bothered to air her competition while it was happening. (Unless it was at 3am - I don't know.)

Rod, agreed.

With all the focus on Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Gaby Douglas, Missy Franklin, more Michael Phelps, they didn't really cover two stories I found quite fascinating.

One was the female shooter (Kim Rhode is her name) who became the first US Olympian to medal in five straight Olympics, outdoing such greats as Carl Lewis, Al Oerter and Phelps himself. I heard about it on the radio but didn't see it mentioned at all on that evening's prime time coverage, although I did miss the first 15 minutes or so.

And, for our neighbors to the North, there was Ian Millar, who at 65 became the first to compete in 10 Olyhmpics (having medaled for the first time at age 61 in China, 2008). His sport: Equestrian, Show Jumping, which does get more coverage than many of the sports you mention.

The ones I like to see that always get short shrift are, in no particular order: Weightlifting, Track Cycling and Fencing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
rodspade wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Rod, agreed.

With all the focus on Michael Phelps, Michael Phelps, Gaby Douglas, Missy Franklin, more Michael Phelps, they didn't really cover two stories I found quite fascinating.

One was the female shooter (Kim Rhode is her name) who became the first US Olympian to medal in five straight Olympics, outdoing such greats as Carl Lewis, Al Oerter and Phelps himself. I heard about it on the radio but didn't see it mentioned at all on that evening's prime time coverage, although I did miss the first 15 minutes or so.

And, for our neighbors to the North, there was Ian Millar, who at 65 became the first to compete in 10 Olyhmpics (having medaled for the first time at age 61 in China, 2008). His sport: Equestrian, Show Jumping, which does get more coverage than many of the sports you mention.

The ones I like to see that always get short shrift are, in no particular order: Weightlifting, Track Cycling and Fencing.

I'm curious, did US TV cover Oscar Pistorius' story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferdinand Took wrote:
John Weber wrote:
rodspade wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Rod, agreed.

I'm curious, did US TV cover Oscar Pistorius' story?

Yes, including the very gracious moment when he and the eventual gold medal winner (Kirani James of Grenada) exchanged runner tags after the semifinal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.