Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Keywords & Taglines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new edition there will be a lot of "subtypes" of cards going around, with the traditional CCG use of "taglines" or "keywords" allowing existing or future cards to have powerful niche uses, for thematic play and to expand the available gamespace for expansions and such.

This intends to be a living (read: I won't be done with it right now, and some of it is conjecture/guessing) article that tries to codify the keywords that we know, and what their meaning is, from a mechanical and thematic standpoint.

CORPORATION

IDENTITY
Megacorp: Identity is a mega-corporation.

ICE
Main Types
Sentry: Ice is an self-actuated construct that confronts intruders.
Code Gate: Ice is an encryption scheme that prevents access/data transfer without the use of a key or passcode.
Barrier: Ice is a hardcoded set of restrictions that prevent access.
Trap: Ice is designed specifically to ambush the runner through deception.
Additional Descriptors
Bioroid: Ice is actually an android with its own sentience and directives. Bioroid ice tend to be more powerful for less rez cost within their main ice type, but also can have their subroutines broken if the runner spends additional clicks(actions).
Tracer: Ice contains subroutines that initiate a Trace.
Destroyer: Ice contains subroutines that cause a Runner's programs to be trashed.
Observer: Ice allows the Corp to take a responsive action when the Runner encounters it.
AP: Anti-Personnel. Ice is designed to physically harm the runner.

AGENDA
Research: Agenda deals with gathering data to achieve a breakthrough or gain an advantage.
Expansion: Agenda deals with growing the infrastructure or market share of the corporation.
Security: Agenda deals with stopping hacker intrusions or protecting hard assets.

ASSET
Advertisement: Asset is designed to increase brand awareness of a product, earning the corporation additional credits in sales.

UPGRADE

OPERATION
Gray Ops: Activity/effect is of questionable legality/ethically ambiguous.
Black Ops: Activity/effect is felonious in nature and is patently illegal.
Transaction: Activity/effect provides instant credits.

RUNNER

IDENTITY
G-Mod: Runner is a genetically-modified being.
Natural: Runner is a normal human with a talent for hacking.

PROGRAM
Icebreaker: Program is able to manipulate and/or subvert the effects of ice.
Fracter: Program is an icebreaker designed to breach Barrier ice.
Decoder: Program is an icebreaker designed to breach Code Gate ice.
Killer: Program is an icebreaker designed to defeat Sentry ice.
AI: Program is able to adapt itself and learn based on experience.
Virus: Program is designed to damage the Corporation's systems, by forcing them to perform actions.

HARDWARE
Chip: Hardware is a single electronic component of which several can be installed at once.
Console: Hardware is a dedicated personal computing device used to enhance hacking abilities in some fashion.

RESOURCE
Link: Card improves the Runner's base link or alters the way in which the Runner spends Credits to increase their link bid.
Location: Resource is a physical location the Runner is able to visit to gain its benefit.
Virtual: Resource is a network entity that is not tied to a specific place in meat-space (the physical world).
Connection: Location is related to a specific person or group with assets/abilities.
Seedy: Resource is lower-class, poorly-monitored and contains unscrupulous characters.
Ritzy: Resource is upper-class, well-known and contains socially influential characters.

EVENT
Run: Event includes making a run and modifying the way it is performed.
Mod: Event modifies an existing action by making it cheaper (less credits), faster (less clicks), or more effective (higher strength or wider application of its effects).
9 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not technically a keyword, but:

♦ : Unique Symbol, only one of these may be in play at a time.

I also expect to see:

PROGRAM
Virus: Program is malicious code intended to perform harm to the Corporation.

LOCATION
Ritzy: Location is upscale, highly monitored and most likely protected by security.

ICE
Trap: ICE is intended to do direct harm to the Runner and cannot be affected by traditional icebreaker programs.
AP: Short for Anti Personnel - ICE designed to do damage to the Runner, bypassing traditional defenses.

__
Edit: Corrected AP
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Not technically a keyword, but:

AP: Short for Armor Piercing - ICE designed to do damage to the Runner, bypassing traditional defenses.


I thought AP was 'Anti-Personnel'....?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
Avatar
mb
AP is anti-personnel. It was a keyword for ICE in classic and even had it's own ice breaker.

It's also already appeared on the Trap ICE we've seen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Can we mark (italicize? different color?) any speculative keyword that hasn't been seen yet?

(Which admittedly is most of my list)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ones we've not seen are Ritzy and Virus, and Virus is implied by cards we've already seen. Ritzy makes sense because it uses the same terminology used in Android (along with Seedy). I think we'll see more and more Android TBG assets and locations in the game as cards get revealed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New OPERATION keyword:

Transaction: Activity/effect is intended to make money

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a proposed concept word, but doubt it will be a keyword...

Function: A capability of an ICEBREAKER. Functions, except self-buffing effects, cannot be used unless the Strength of the ICEBREAKER equals or exceeds the Strength of the target ICE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Function: A capability of an ICEBREAKER. Functions, except self-buffing effects, cannot be used unless the Strength of the ICEBREAKER equals or exceeds the Strength of the target ICE.


For example, Wyrm has 2 functions, and 1 self-buffing routine. I think it comes down to whether the text refers to the ice as the recipient of an effect or not.

(Could get really nerdy and refer to them as Public and Private methods.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But then we'd have:


Wyrm

+ $3: Break subroutine on ICE of strength 0 or less
+ $1: Reduce ICE strength by 1
- $1: +1 Strength
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still haven't seen Daemon. Huh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Still haven't seen Daemon. Huh.


It was hinted at in one of the recent overviews.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Opie wrote:
Still haven't seen Daemon. Huh.


It was hinted at in one of the recent overviews.


I wonder if the name will remain. I remember at least one parent for whom that was the breaking point, even after the explanation of a daemon process.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Opie wrote:
Still haven't seen Daemon. Huh.

It was hinted at in one of the recent overviews.

I wonder if the name will remain. I remember at least one parent for whom that was the breaking point, even after the explanation of a daemon process.

I guess those parents don't like using computers then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine there'll be an in-depth Runner article to match the Corp one we just had, either today or tomorrow.

Optimistic me says the Runner article today, rules tomorrow
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
I imagine there'll be an in-depth Runner article to match the Corp one we just had, either today or tomorrow.

Optimistic me says the Runner article today, rules tomorrow


Optimist.

(Didn't I say that before and then we got what we wanted? Here's hoping it works again.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Opie' wrote:
I wonder if the name will remain. I remember at least one parent for whom that was the breaking point, even after the explanation of a daemon process.

I guess those parents don't like using computers then?


This is the USA. We're currently in civil war regarding chicken sandwiches. We don't do 'nuance' well. laugh
5 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
haslo wrote:
Opie' wrote:
I wonder if the name will remain. I remember at least one parent for whom that was the breaking point, even after the explanation of a daemon process.

I guess those parents don't like using computers then?


This is the USA. We're currently in civil war regarding chicken sandwiches. We don't do 'nuance' well. laugh


Indeed. When I was a kid I made some sprite comics. My mom had a fit and wouldn't let me explain that an image used in a video game is much closer to a refreshing lemon-lime soda than to a small faerie-like creature.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No lemon lime soda allowed in your house, eh?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
No lemon lime soda allowed in your house, eh?


No, she was just against anything resembling magic, even in name only. It was a laugh and a half.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BDSb wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
No lemon lime soda allowed in your house, eh?


No, she was just against anything resembling magic, even in name only. It was a laugh and a half.


Did you ever point out the contradiction that imploring an invisible being that follows its own mysterious rules to help you in your daily struggles is essentially what magic is all about?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingjames01 wrote:
BDSb wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
No lemon lime soda allowed in your house, eh?

No, she was just against anything resembling magic, even in name only. It was a laugh and a half.

Did you ever point out the contradiction that imploring an invisible being that follows its own mysterious rules to help you in your daily struggles is essentially what magic is all about?

Let's not go there
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
kingjames01 wrote:
BDSb wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
No lemon lime soda allowed in your house, eh?

No, she was just against anything resembling magic, even in name only. It was a laugh and a half.

Did you ever point out the contradiction that imploring an invisible being that follows its own mysterious rules to help you in your daily struggles is essentially what magic is all about?

Let's not go there


I didn't want to. However, a can of lemon lime pop made me do it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few new words, both on the Runner's side...

EVENT
Sabotage

RESOURCE
Remote
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.