Subject: Super dungeon Explore or Descent 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, I am looking for advice on witch game to get. Super dungeon Explore or Descent Second Edition. I have watch reviews of both games and it seems as though SDE is more of a light hearted game and that doesn't bother me. It's the feel of the dungeon and scenarios that I guess I'm looking more for. Hell I don't know what I'm thinking, that's probably why am asking for some advice. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Descent if you will get to play often.
Descent has story driven quests with a slower character leveling system that will provide much more replay value. It looks like the 2nd ed is much more balanced.

Winning for the heroes in SDE is very dice dependent. The game is much more lighthearted and Character leveling is faster but every game feels the samey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmb
As a former owner of SDE, I would go with Descent 2nd ed. I was hyped about SDE, but the gameplay was not cutting it for the wife and I. Descent on the other hand is great! Just an opinion though :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
If it's scenarios and story you're looking for, SDE doesn't have any to speak of.

[Edit: Note... I like SDE quite a bit. But that's just not what it provides.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered both .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damean Rendell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I just had both turn up in the mail. Woo Hoo!

....Now I have to paint all those minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched the D&D board games and gears of war to?

There's no upcoming game which is similar?

Not much information for that Level 7 one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I gather Descent is a much deeper,more involved game. Would you say SDE would be like a beginner step into a dungeon crawler?
Right now my family "well the wife and daughter anyway" like the more family light board games like adventurers,tobago,ticket to ride etc. And those are fine but I would like to go more into something like this and was wondering would you think this would be a better fit for a first time dungeon type game? My original plans was to just get Claustrophobia and play with son,and then with the wife to see how everyone liked it then maybe slowly evolve into Descent type of game if it took well. I just thought since we all can play at once it might be better,rather then just a 2 player game. Im not a fan of anime at all but I hear its a pretty decent game,just wondering your thoughts on which way you think I should go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore is not really a dungeon crawler type of a board game. It actually feels more like a miniatures war game (like when I played Mage Knight a long time back)with some campy arcade ideas added in.

I find that it is quite a bit of fun and easier to get younger players into. That being said, if you are looking for a game that is more of a dungeon crawl type of game, then Descent is definately the better choice.

(If possible....nab both tho'...hehee!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.