United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Syllas (it's one of the cards).

It should not award any points at the end of the game in my opinion. It's too powerful in the right hands.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I think the game is just fine and I really like it. The more players the tighter. Plus there will no doubt be expansions and variants of this one...

Syllas is powerful, but so are some others ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

It should not award any points at the end of the game in my opinion. It's too powerful in the right hands.

Thoughts?

Doesn't it award a TON of points at the end too?! (24 or something?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Thoughts?

Doesn't it award a TON of points at the end too?! (24 or something?)

Syllas makes all opponents discard an item from their display, and gives 17 points at the end.

For the record, I am absolutely loving the game. This one card seems especially dastardly is all. It won't keep me from playing though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is turning out to have an addictive nature. I agree :

Syllas is a bastard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syllas is powerful, but a lot of cards are scary in the right hands.
For me the most annoying card is demon of argos, who takes away 1 summoning gauge while giving you an extra card.

Just when you thought you had enough slots to finish your combo.... cry (speaking from experience)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Olaf’s Blessed Statue/Cursed Treatise of Arus are good counters which also combos well with Amsung Longneck... or just draft it given the opportunity.

I consider Thieving Fairies and Mirror of the Seasons to be more problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
Syllas is powerful, but a lot of cards are scary in the right hands.
For me the most annoying card is demon of argos, who takes away 1 summoning gauge while giving you an extra card.

Just when you thought you had enough slots to finish your combo.... cry (speaking from experience)

Getting that played on you, on the last turn is harsh for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Thieving Fairies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Muranty
Poland
Pruszkow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe Syllas is not so bad, he's quite expensive and, as others pointed out, there are ways to play around him... it's a matter of getting used to the fact that such a card exists. I mean, he's a tempo booster and all kinds of fun when you play him yourself, so personally I'm happy that such a card exists, especially that it introduces a lot of interaction and variety.

I get my hind parts kicked way more often by Temporal Boots .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hvcfl wrote:
I believe Syllas is not so bad, he's quite expensive and, as others pointed out, there are ways to play around him... it's a matter of getting used to the fact that such a card exists. I mean, he's a tempo booster and all kinds of fun when you play him yourself, so personally I'm happy that such a card exists, especially that it introduces a lot of interaction and variety.

I get my hind parts kicked way more often by Temporal Boots .

Temporal Boots is my favorite card in the game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played and teach around 20 games of Seasons at the WBC, the Temporal Boots is the card the most difficult to manage for a rookie, and the most deadliest when played by a player with experience.

One game they ask to play hard, they are Magic:TG players so no problem for the rules. Last turn it was Temporal boots (+3), Avarious Whelp (each player must return a magic item), Temporal Boots back in my hand, played again Temporal boots (+3), and a 3 dots die, I was the last player of that round, the marker was at 5 (second green)game over.

The most underestimated is the Brimstone Grimoire. On a first turn, this card is way better then it looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stefan B wrote:
I just played and teach around 20 games of Seasons at the WBC, the Temporal Boots is the card the most difficult to manage for a rookie, and the most deadliest when played by a player with experience.

One game they ask to play hard, they are Magic:TG players so no problem for the rules. Last turn it was Temporal boots (+3), Avarious Whelp (each player must return a magic item), Temporal Boots back in my hand, played again Temporal boots (+3), and a 3 dots die, I was the last player of that round, the marker was at 5 (second green)game over.

The most underestimated is the Brimstone Grimoire. On a first turn, this card is way better then it looks like.

Awesome.

Yes, I do not think that Syllas is as bad after experience. I was able to win one game holding back cards, acquiring summon gauge increases and then dumping most all of my cards in the last couple of turns.

My opponent had Syllas, but I was able to actually trick them into turning all of my tokens into Air Tokens (I wanted them to) through the draft process, and then play the card that costs 3 Air Tokens twice!! in the last season, getting the bonus twice. Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
Temporal Boots is my favorite card in the game devil

Took me a few games to realize that having Temporal Boots in your Year III hand was way more effective than in your Year I hand. And that it's eeeeeevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Muranty
Poland
Pruszkow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After a few more plays I started having doubts about Scepter of Greatness... theoretically you have to adjust your game to it, but 'playing cards' doesn't seem a terrible sacrifice in a game focused mostly on, well, playing cards .

I guess what I want to say is that the point swings this thing is capable of generating seem a little bit troubling, and while I wouldn't like to cry 'broken' prior to having at least 30 games under my belt, I was nevertheless curious whether anyone else had a similar impression ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'm bothered by how good some cards are as much as I am by how BAD other cards are. I had Dragon Skull today and found out the hard way what a dog that one was. I had thought I'd be cleaning cards out of my HAND, not my tableau, but once played online you just have to suck it up and play it through. I'm glad that I've been able to play this game online though. It has certainly affected my decision on whether or not to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Muranty
Poland
Pruszkow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I don't know if I'm bothered by how good some cards are as much as I am by how BAD other cards are. I had Dragon Skull today and found out the hard way what a dog that one was. I had thought I'd be cleaning cards out of my HAND, not my tableau, but once played online you just have to suck it up and play it through. I'm glad that I've been able to play this game online though. It has certainly affected my decision on whether or not to buy the game.

Yep, Skull seems very mediocre and situational, mostly good for cleaning out the Cursed Treatise... Anyway, after a few more games I've changed my mind a little on the Scepter - it did win me one game, but didn't make a difference in a few other ones.

All in all the game grows on me after each play and I keep appreciating the fine details more and more, so I must say I'm also very glad to be able to try it out .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think Thieving Fairies is one of the strongest cards in the game. Every time your opponent activates a card you're netting 3 points ahead of him assuming he has any VP. Fairies will:

-Give you more points than someone who activates Dice of Malice
-Make you only lose 1 VP to Kairne
-Put you 3 - 6 VP ahead of a Tree of Life user
-Make Crystal Ball peeking undesirable for your opponent unless you're going to place a free card
-Net you more points than someone who completes a Glutton Cauldron
-Make Idol of the Familiar net the opponent no points unless they have a minimum of 4 familiars
-Make Mirror of the Seasons less desirable to use
-Make Damned Soul of Onys a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' proposition.

Pretty crazy little card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R.

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
hvcfl wrote:
I guess what I want to say is that the point swings this thing is capable of generating seem a little bit troubling, and while I wouldn't like to cry 'broken' prior to having at least 30 games under my belt, I was nevertheless curious whether anyone else had a similar impression ?

It bothers me a little bit, only because lots of times it makes the endgame feel rushed and the rest of the game less interesting. Saving your Temporal Boots and Amsug Longneck or whatever so you can force the game to end abruptly just doesn't feel to me as satisfying a strategy as formulating a plan and executing it. Years 1 and 2 tend to pass without much meaningful interaction or play of cards and year 3 just feels like a mad rush to make combos. I liked the game a lot my first few plays but the more I play on Board Game Arena the less I'm enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hvcfl wrote:
After a few more plays I started having doubts about Scepter of Greatness... theoretically you have to adjust your game to it, but 'playing cards' doesn't seem a terrible sacrifice in a game focused mostly on, well, playing cards .

It depends on which level are you playing really. As long as you're drafting cards, there's a high chance that you can see the card before it gets picked up. That way you KNOW it's gonna come, hence you can prepare yourself for the point swing. Sure your opponent might get lucky and took it for his 1st card, but that's a high risk too as (IMO) picking something like potion of knowledge (5 energy when sacrificed)for an early advantage should always be prioritized over late game magic items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting is the key, there's some good card alone, and some a litlle less easy to play. But with a good draft and some card draw in the game, all cards are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Muranty
Poland
Pruszkow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While we're talking individual cards and such, there's one thing that's been on my mind for some time:

can anyone think of a good reason not to play the Demon of Argos on your last turn (or the penultimate one, if you suspect Temporal shenanigans) ?

I've tried to create some sort of tempo disadvantage/gauge stifling situations for my opponents, but there are just so many ways to increase your gauge, that basically I just ended up giving them an extra card.

Is your experience with the card similar, or am I missing something here, apart from an odd case when you desperately need to cut something up with the Kriss ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance of Ishtar is probably my least favorite card. It's negative points. Four resources for 12 crystals? I can do that normally if in the right season with a transmutation. Yeah, it bypasses those two requirements but you still need to have 4 of the same... your max is 7. Unless you have Mirror it's probably not that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purse is good. 6 points for 2 energy is already way better than Ishtar. You'll often be able to do some mass transmutation at some point in the game via: Necrotic Kriss, Vampiric Crown, Pendant of Ragnor, Potion of Knowledge, Amulet of Water, and more. So, that adds points to those conversions plus adds more points as you transmute here and there throughout the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thieving Fairies is my favorite. I'm don't necessarily think it's the best card but I just like that it shuts down a lot of other cards or at least makes their use unappealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.