Popular Tags: [View All]
Ali Ardekani
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am looking to buy the Ultimate Werewolf games and noticed there are many different "Ultimate Werewolf" but I'm not sure which one is the best one.

a) Ultimate Werewolf with Night expansions
b) Ultimate Werewolf
c) Ultimaet Werewolf Artifacts

Please Advise.

Ali

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
babaali wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to buy the Ultimate Werewolf games and noticed there are many different "Ultimate Werewolf" but I'm not sure which one is the best one.

a) Ultimate Werewolf with Night expansions
b) Ultimate Werewolf
c) Ultimaet Werewolf Artifacts

Please Advise.

Ali

Hi Ali, Not UW but there is also The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow: The Village!

Perhaps people could better assist if you advised us what you are looking for in your "best one"?

edit:spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should probably be moved to the Werewolf Family or Ultimate Werewolf forum. This forum is for PBEM games.

As to the actual question, Artifacts isn't a game in itself, it's an expansion. Ultimate Werewolf Ultimate Edition is certainly a better buy than the alternatives (Millers Hollow, Are You A Werewolf, Lupus In Tabula). However, there have been three printings of UWUE, differing by six cards each:

2008 version had more duplicate cards (four extra Werewolves, a Magician that duplicated the Witch, and an extra blank card)

2010 version had Classic Movie Monsters (Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, the Teenage Werewolf, etc)

Current 2011 version has Night Terrors (Beholder, Dreamwolf, Insomniac, etc)

In my opinion, some of the expansion roles have not been well thought out for competitive play, but NT is probably better than CMM. CMM might have more appeal for the casual crowd, though, due to the name recognition. NT and CMM were available as standalone expansions as well, although I'm not sure if they're still widely available.

Oh, and the 2008 vrsion had no rules text on the cards, while later ones did. That has advantages and disadvantages; I'd say a version with rules text is better for casual groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Ardekani
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg for the info. What confuses me is that the Ultimate Werewolf sold with NT cost about $12 less than the one without it. Am I missing something here?

$31 Ultimate Werewolf WITH NT
http://www.amazon.com/Bezier-Games-BEZ00001-Ultimate-Werewol...

$19 Ultimate Werewolf WITHOUT NT
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Werewolf-Night-Terror-Expansi...

My friends have never played Werewolf before so I wanted to get a good set with interesting characters (roles).

Ali

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The version without NT has CMM instead. It's probably just got a higher price because it's the older version and not as easy to find. They're from different sellers as well.

Even dscounting that I think the NT roles are better than the CMM ones, it's certainly not worth paying $30 for the CMM version when it had an RRP of $25 in the first place. You can also get the half-a-dozen CMM cards on their own for $10 direct from the maker if you decide you really want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.