Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts after only a few games (not a review, really, so I`m not going into the rules per se) – Coerceo is a capturing abstract, with a classic feel and stunning look. There`s really two games going on simultaneously, though – the attempt to surround and capture your opponents pieces, and the attempt to vacate tiles, `capturing` them – a pair of tiles can be exchanged for an automatic capture of an opponents piece.

From a purely logical standpoint, this would seem to favour capturing pieces over tiles, however I have found that you ignore the latter strategy at your own risk! Tiles are the `currency` of the game, and a well played tile exchange can be devastating.

I read a review here that described the game as extremely open at the beginning, but at some point in the game, decisions and individual moves seem to be exponentially more important. After only a few plays, I would agree with this, and to be honest, I think the player who can anticipate that transition more accurately will be the one who tends to come out on top.
Capturing pieces is not, as I`ve found, an exercise in brute force – moving pieces to the front lines does not always result in a capture, even with greater numbers. With hexagonal tiles divided into alternating black-white triangles, the battlefield can become cramped, and your own pieces can seem to block your overall positional progress – breaking a front line to move behind your opponents pieces can result in an easy capture for them if you aren`t careful.

During one game at home, my daughter, well-versed in abstracts, claimed that the game was a, `mix of Chess and Hive` - It does seem to (to some degree) combine the hexagonal `thinking` and surrounding of Hive with the classic positional battle of Chess.
The simple rules of this game, along with the layered strategy and gorgeous look make me think that this is a game worth of the Mensa award it won this year. I`d like to re-visit this after more plays, but as of now, I would HIGHLY recommend this game to any abstract fans.
In my dream world, it is picked up by boardspace, giving them a worthy addition, and this great game some much-deserved exposure!
I`d appreciate any thoughts from anyone else that has been fortunate enough to try this – its a GREAT find, and I look forward to seeing its progress through the world of abstracts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very impressed with Coerceo. Hopefully it will become more accessible soon so more can enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your comments 100%. A fantastic abstract that's easy to learn, fun to play, and beautiful to look at. My 10-year-old asked to play it last night (because he beat me last time!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.