Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: "Rulebooks on your Table: August 2012" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is the first of the month again and we're in the middle of summer/winter.

The games that I'm currently "learning" are:

Ambush! - Almost finished scenario 1. My Asst. Sq. Leader has just been shot! Then it's back to the Rulebook for those additional rules for scenario two!

Burma - I've got most of OCS rules down (although I still reference when in doubt), but I'm trying to get my head around the map and these module rules!

Here I Stand - Trying to play as England and using the rulebook in an attempt to figure out what the other players are doing: Piracy, NT conversion, Religious Debates?

I'm not sure what new game I'll "introduce", but I'll be sure to post here later this month.

What rulebooks are on your table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Actually on the bedside table:

Angola: Fondling stage.

Close at hand at all times:

Virgin Queen: Definitely needed for my PBEM game. Just what am I doing anyway???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Serbia the Defiant / Romania: Transylvanian Gambit
Burma
Liberty Roads reread
Schlieffen Plan playtest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:

Unhappy King Charles! (sorry Richard, I know it's taking *FOREVER* - still doesn't fit my brain)

I had some issues with it, too, but a moment came when everything clicked and started to constitute a fairly coherent picture. When you actually start playing, you will probably see that it's easier than it initially looks. Now, with certain experience with the game, I tend to think that it is actually one of the better rulebooks, very clean, with almost no need for errata, clarifications and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
"White Death."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
still working on Rise and Decline of the Third Reich

prepping Devil's Horsemen (excited about trying this one next week)

and keeping Guelphs and Ghibellines, Cataphract, and SPQR (Deluxe Edition) all close at hand for ongoing games (first two PBEM, the last is solo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
1914: Twilight in the East, purchased and should arrive next week.

Pursuit of Glory, based on my liking of Paths of Glory, reading these rules to see if it's worth a buy.

Andean Abyss, brushing up so I'm ready to go when the pre-order arrives.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently received my copy of Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 so I'm getting ready to play this game once my current PBEM games finish up.

Also stumbled upon this Shiloh: April 1862 so I'm going to see if its worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue vs. Gray
Europe Engulfed
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

Thunderbolt Apache Leader

Great reviews on this one - can't wait to get a few plays in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPQR (Deluxe Edition) (again, preparing to play this time)
Silent War (again, seriously thinking about buying reprint)
Musket & Pike Battle Series (hopefully playing soon)

Update:

Europe Engulfed (cuz Phil bought it)
Road to Enlightenment (war-ish-ish)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gaddie
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still working my way through Squad Leader. I have finished the first two scenarios and now I am getting prepared for AFV rules.

Also plan on reading through the rules for Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a loooooong time since I played any of the ancient naval games (have always been a landlubber), so I've pulled out the old Richard Berg's "Chicken of the Sea" and AH's "Trireme." No armor, no airborne, just ramming and boarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's still Advanced Squad Leader. I'm now trying to grasp Chapter E, so I can play the various SSR-heavy scenarios, and Chapter H so I can make some scenarios of my own.

Speaking of which, the scenario book from Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin is close to hand for some inspiration, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ardennes '44, this should be arriving soon.

I've just cleared Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 off my table after a 2 week binge. I'm so into this game I'm sure it'll come out again before the end of the week. Looking for Vassal opponents.

Burma is beckoning quietly from the shelf, along with Liberty Roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent last weekend reading through the "rule book" for a Canon Powershot SX150 IS camera that my wife bought me to replace the trusty old Casio that gave me sterling service for eight years before it expired. I have read the instructions over five times.

I believe it counts as a wargame as I use it solely to upload images of my figures to BGG and, treating it like a rule book has certainly produced results:

Regards,

Jim
Est. 1949

PS: I am also reading the rules for the Memoir '44: Equipment Pack in anticipation of buying it upon release... and before the purists start, I consider it a wargame albeit a very light one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe is at the top of my rules reading list because I'm starting a game. Not overly complicated, but some unusual approaches so I really need to read-as-I-go to understand it. There are some COOL flowcharts included which help a lot.

Also got Virgin Queen rules on my desktop for my two PBEM games. Ditto Angola, though that is not nearly as complex, and after a couple of battles (combat is the most complex bit of the game), things are starting to flow more easily. And at some point I want to read Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291, newly arrived.

Oh and World in Flames rules too, mostly to answer questions here on BGG but also to clarify things in my ongoing game... like whether the damned Italians have to be in supply to activate the bloody Persians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I just printed out RAF and Ambush
I am still reading EotS, not sure I will be playing this.

Recently I was invited to play a umpired 2nd Fleet, those rules I have read, time for a re read.

I continue to read and re read the OCS, GBII rules looking for clarity and insight more than anything else.

Angola is being played later this month so I think that counts, we played last weekend, lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of Thunderbolt Apache Leader today and I've immediately rip the shrink and gotten into it. There are some changes from the original Thunderbolt/Apache Leader and the bits are much nicer... I will have it on the table in a hour's time.

The original was my favorite of the Leader series from GMT by far (even when compare to the new remakes of Phantom & Hornet Leader & U-boat Leader.) So really looking forward to this reboot.

(and yes, I am on to book 2 on trench warfare for La Grande Guerre 14-18, just need a quick break from reading that monstrosity!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't want another CDG, however good it might look. No, really. Oh, goodie, that looks interesting, Amateurs to Arms!, let me download the rules and see if I want to buy it... shake
Other than that, Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Zacharjasz
Poland
Jablonna
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939, Where Eagles Dare and No Question of Surrender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virgin Queen
Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL Chapter A.

God help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totensonntag: Re-reading in preparation of playing via PBeM soon.
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses: Not on the list to play anytime soon, but curious to see how Columbia has tweaked their standard rules for this title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.