Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Restaurant Rush (Contest Ready)

Designed for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

You are a truck stop waitress who dreams of working for the Weekly Inquisitor. Collect enough tips to buy a camera and photograph the strange customers who come to your diner. You might get your big break!

Restaurant Rush contains 10 customer cards and 3 player mats (optional, but recommended for new players). Players must provide one six-sided die, 11 markers (bingo tokens, wooden cubes, etc.), and scratch paper (for keeping score). The game plays in under 30 minutes.

Download Link:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_SYEReJJaAHWkNHN3VERDJ4bW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read through the rules, and this looks really neat! I can see what you mean about using the play mats for the first few games.

When I check for new customers, do I get to choose in which row to place the new customer in column a?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Customers in column A can wait in any row or even below the player mat. You can seat any waiting customer at any available table. The important thing is that you never have five customers sitting at tables at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night. Nice intuitive rules. I enjoyed it. I won very easily though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whipped up a quick and dirty Vassal version of this to try out. It was fun, but it did seem a bit easy. I never really felt I was in any danger of not meeting my $30 goal. I ended up with $66.

Maybe the dice were just being kind, but there was only 1 occasion where I had a customer sitting and waiting for a table back in Column A. If the customers had started stacking up, perhaps I would have felt the pressure, but it felt like a leisurely day at the Diner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing!

I tried to set the target score so players would win about half the time. I used my own scores to calibrate, but I might have been playing with a sub-optimal strategy (or repeatedly gotten unlucky).

I'd say I lost an average of two customers each game. Deciding whom to serve when several customers are waiting is one of the most fun aspects of the game, in my opinion.

It is, of course, possible to try for your own personal best or to compete against scores others have posted. But I wanted to give some way for players to grade their performance even if they just play once.

If I were to change the victory condition, would you want it to be just barely attainable ($100, say) or winnable a large percentage of the time?

I appreciate your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

Damn, this actually sound good!
I really like the whole theme to serve food to strange customers.
Do you accept to draw fan-arts for your customers my friend just for fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you're asking whether I would accept fan-drawn art to use on future cards or whether I would draw art for a fan, so I'll answer both questions.

The artwork for the cards was done by Debra Marie, whom I hired through this website: http://fiverr.com/debramarie91

You can commission her to draw a "cute simple graphic" for $5. She was very professional, and I'm pleased with how her graphics turned out. I would recommend her highly.

I am interested in making additional cards available, and I would graciously accept any artwork anyone wants to contribute.

If the game is well-received in this contest, I will commission another five cards in the original style (so there are no duplicates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
benritter wrote:
I'm not sure if you're asking whether I would accept fan-drawn art to use on future cards or whether I would draw art for a fan, so I'll answer both questions.

The artwork for the cards was done by Debra Marie, whom I hired through this website: http://fiverr.com/debramarie91

You can commission her to draw a "cute simple graphic" for $5. She was very professional, and I'm pleased with how her graphics turned out. I would recommend her highly.

I am interested in making additional cards available, and I would graciously accept any artwork anyone wants to contribute.

If the game is well-received in this contest, I will commission another five cards in the original style (so there are no duplicates).

Hello there!
I just wanted to say I like the whole Theme of the game and I wnated if I have time of course a fan-art for your weird costumers you have in the game.
Here some old arts I done just for fun:

Something more simple of course ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
mbmbmbmbmb
Restaurant Rush was one of the games I wanted to try during the contest but never got to. Now, after finding the files again on my idiot box I thought this would make a nice and easy introduction into Vassal module building.

So, here it is - my first Vassal module (in Technicolor):

http://www.mediafire.com/?rtglwctm7klelcq
(Note: To pick up and move the cards with the markers on top, either frame the components with left click or use Shift to add them to the selection.)

-
As for the game itself, I have to agree with the others that it's far too easy to win: in my first play I got to $65 despite losing three customers in the process...
A winning condition of reaching at least $70 might help here, however I also found that the "endgame" to peter out without any tension - once no new customers are drawn there's no threat of losing control of the situation anymore. This might need some more tweaks.
As it is it's a nice breezy little diversion that takes a bit too long. (Say, three minutes too long )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.