Popular Tags: [View All]
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a second play of REX my group and I feel that the game is definitely fun and well designed but there seems to be a few issues.
I will readily admit that we may not be cutthroat enough to play properly.

In both 5-player games an early three way alliance both including the Hakan player basically appeared to have an early victory and of course won.

The problem is that the allies are content with a shared victory, thus the meaning of not being cutthroat.

Likewise it does seem as I have read here on several posts that Hakan is far superior to nearly any other single race.

I did notice the rulebook has what I thought was a fix but I am pretty sure I am just reading it wrong.

The rulebook indicates that the Hakan only gain influence when allies deploy. But I believe this is a qualifying statement to the following sentence that explains the allies do not pay when using the Hakan ability.

I am sure we will play some more games but if anyone would care to pipe in and let me know how often they have seen a single or two player alliance win against a three way, I would appreciate it.

One other thing while I am thinking about it. Does the Xxcha player still win if he chooses one of an alliance to win and gets the player and turn correct? Its clear he does if that player wins the game outright but what if the winner is part of a winning alliance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:

One other thing while I am thinking about it. Does the Xxcha player still win if he chooses one of an alliance to win and gets the player and turn correct? Its clear he does if that player wins the game outright but what if the winner is part of a winning alliance?

Xxcha special victory condition override all other victories. So if Xxcha predicted correctly while he's in an alliance, he won the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
twthomas wrote:

Xxcha special victory condition override all other victories. So if Xxcha predicted correctly while he's in an alliance, he won the game.

Also yes te Xxcha also wins if the player they predicted is in a winning alliance. Beware of a Xxcha player that wants to help you win early. ;-)

This game is really made more fun when all the player are ruthless and backstabbing. You want ally to make it easy, but you can't really trust anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:
vardamir wrote:
twthomas wrote:

Also yes te Xxcha also wins if the player they predicted is in a winning alliance. Beware of a Xxcha player that wants to help you win early. ;-)

This game is really made more fun when all the player are ruthless and backstabbing. You want ally to make it easy, but you can't really trust anyone.

Yeah even Xxcha is in the defeated alliance... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is having trouble with 5 players as usually a 3 player alliance with the Hacan unbalances the game. Last time I played with the Hacan and didn't ally myself with anyone until the end of the game (and that was because I was almost forced to or I'd lose) and the game was very balanced with two 2 player alliances and the hacan.
In the end we couldn't finish the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Barnickle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about having every one pool $5 for the winner/s, might promote some more competitiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
landonb wrote:
What about having every one pool $5 for the winner/s, might promote some more competitiveness.

I'd rather have a great shot at 3 bucks than a 1/5 or less shot at 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the contrary, it sounds to me like your group IS playing cutthroat, competitive, and therefore properly . They're not letting "honor" get in the way of forming the strongest team they can muster and plowing through the underdogs.

The game heavily rewards teamwork, and to take advantage of it you want to form the strongest teams possible (changes from game to game and even later on within same game based on game state). That's actually pretty cool when you think about it because how many games let you do that? There are more than enough conquest games out there that let you do it alone.

That said, I've never played a 5 player game, but I'm guessing that 6 player games will have more interesting dynamics and shifting alliances since it maxes out at 3v3 instead of 3v2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.