Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Massing at Osgiliath» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Agonizingly Close rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agonizingly close, but alas, no victory. Like we could see Minas Tirith just up the road a bit, only to be cut down like chattel by the foul Witch King at the last possible moment.

I used the deck I call “Rohan Stealth”— heroes are Eowyn, Theodred, and Dunhere, and all allies are Rohan (with the exception of a pair of Northern Trackers). Starting threat is 25, although for some quests I leave out Dunhere in order to have a starting threat of 17 and take advantage of the Secrecy cards I have in the deck early in the game. Even with Dunhere in I can usually get threat down to the secrecy threshold in 3-5 turns. For this quest, I did include Dunhere in order to pick off enemies in the staging area (I’ve tried it without Dunhere, and the early scouts stick around too long).

Things started out well, and I sped my way to card 4B (Race to Minas Tirith) by turn 5. I had Eowyn & Theodred leading the questers (with Theo driving the extra resource each time), and Dunhere was picking off enemies in the staging area with the help of a Dunedain Mark. I had the first Ranger show up in a Shadow card, so I had him available to sacrifice on Anduin Crossing. The only early setback I had in the first 5 turns was losing Gandalf from my hand to “Cut Off” in turn 4 (although I had already Sneak Attacked him once).

After reaching 4B on turn 5 Quest Phase, I optionally engaged the Witch King in the Encounter Phase. I had 2 “Out of Sights” in hand, and on turn 5 my threat was exactly 20 so I was able to cheaply keep the Witch King from attacking (and therefore avoid the 3 threat penalty to keep him engaged).

Turn 6 was the set up for victory. When I crossed the Anduin the previous turn, I had Pelennor fields in the staging area, and was forced to travel there this turn. With the help of Ride to Ruin, I was able to eliminate Pelennor Fields and get 4 progress tokens on the quest card. I played my second Out of Sight (at full cost this time), and kept the Witch King at bay another turn. Turn 7 would be the turn I would win the game.

Unfortunately, Turn 7 is where it all went to hell. I had 4/15 on the quest card and the Witch King engaged (but he had as yet failed to attack). The staging area was showing 3 threat (Uruk Vanguard, Morgulduin).

With Astonishing Speed plus Eowyn’s discard bonus, my intrepid band of horselords brought 17 Willpower to the quest. I needed 11 to win. My 17 minus the 3 in staging equaled 14, so I had a buffer of 3. If the encounter deck brought Captured Watchtower, I would come up short by 1, but could take a hit from the Witch King and probably muster enough willpower to squeak the win on the next turn’s Questing Phase. Any other location card and I would be ok.

Of the treacheries, Cut Off wouldn’t keep me from victory, and Dark Pursuit or Massing at Osgiliath would depend on the surge card (see above and below).

Of the enemies, the only 3+ threat enemy in the encounter deck is Wainrider Captain— and 2 out of 3 were sitting in the discard pile.

I drew Wainrider Captain.

And, of course, he brings back the top 2 enemy scouts from the discard pile. Which were both Wainriders. So now, staging area threat has gone from 3 to 10. I only put 7 on the quest card for a total of 11, or 4 short, for those of you keeping score at home.

There was no way to hold off the Witch King any longer—he was going to start picking off allies & heroes. Wolves from Mordor showed up in turn 8 (I hate Wolves from Mordor).

Dunhere knocked a Wainriders out of the staging area on Turn 8, but the other one engaged on turn 9. Theodred and Dunhere both went down in Turn 9. Eowyn went down in Turn 10, having managed to put a couple more (but still a couple short) on the quest card.

Looking back, it was losing Gandalf on turn 4 that could have made the difference. I lost him to Cut Off as the only ally in my hand, and while I was disappointed I didn’t think it would be a game breaker. And I lost the game on turn 7 when I came up short the 4 Willpower Gandalf would have brought.

All in all, though, still a satisfying experience—it came down to a last grand gesture for victory, and I drew the single card from the encounter deck that could beat me. That’s how it goes sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CamelCity wrote:
Turn 6 was the set up for victory. When I crossed the Anduin the previous turn, I had Pelennor fields in the staging area, and was forced to travel there this turn. With the help of Ride to Ruin, I was able to eliminate Pelennor Fields and get 4 progress tokens on the quest card. I played my second Out of Sight (at full cost this time), and kept the Witch King at bay another turn. Turn 7 would be the turn I would win the game.

Why were you forced to travel to PF? Sounds like your threat was low enough that you could've instead taken the 3 threat bump and not travelled there, thus having it in the staging area contributing 1 threat instead of having to burn 7 progress to clear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Why were you forced to travel to PF? Sounds like your threat was low enough that you could've instead taken the 3 threat bump and not travelled there, thus having it in the staging area contributing 1 threat instead of having to burn 7 progress to clear it.

That's an excellent observation, and I've second guessed that myself. I've gone back to my notes and replayed it (on paper) as you've described, and I don't think it would have made a difference.

I used Ride to Ruin on Turn 6 to put 3 Progress on Pelennor Fields when it was the active location, discarding Snowbourn Scout (who wasn't contributing Willpower anyway). That left 4 to burn on Pelennor. If Pelennor was still in staging, it would add 1, so net result would have been +3 to the quest card in my favor.

Playing the Quest math out, I still come up short 2 Willpower on turn 7, and now I have enemies that have to be dealt with. Witch King is engaged, so he's going to take out an ally next turn. Turn 8 finds me with a ton of threat in staging, and not nearly enough Willpower, so my threat starts shooting up.

In the end, I don't think my decision to travel to Pelennor (and use Ride to Ruin to knock it back a bit), rather than keep it in Staging, made any difference. I had worked my way in to a position where there was 1 card left in the encounter deck that could beat me on the encounter draw, and as luck would have it, that's the card I drew. When I saw that, I knew all was lost, but I played it out anyway, hoping that my card draw at the start of each turn would provide a new option (Eomund might have helped here-- everyone to the quest but Eomund, sacrifice Eomund to Witch King, all my characters ready to deal with enemies!).

Thanks for the comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.