Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Stupid Zombie!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my copy of Descent the other week and everything looks great...except for one zombie that is leaning really hard to the left in a very unintimidating manner. I read a few other posts on how to fix him using near-boiling water followed by almost immediate submersion in ice-cold water. I have done that several times now.

I submerge him (originally just his legs, later his whole body) in the near-boiling water for about 8 seconds. He comes out kind of rubbery. I put him in the proper shape and quickly put him in ice water. I leave him in there for about 5 minutes. When I take him out he is solid and perfectly oriented. But about 8 hours later, he is back in his original shape. I have been repeating this every day for about a week.

So my question...should I use hotter water? Keep him in longer? Put him in the freezer? Or just accept the fact that this zombie will be winning the Limbo competition at the Overlord Christmas party every year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
just imagine he's a zombie from Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get a replacement piece from FFG if that one won't stay upright.

http://parts.fantasyflightgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do what everyone does for their plastic Warhammer models.

Boil some hot water, use some pliers or tongs to dip the model in the boiling water for something like 5-10 seconds. Adjust the model to how you want it, and then dip it into cold water. Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
Just do what everyone does for their plastic Warhammer models.

Boil some hot water, use some pliers or tongs to dip the model in the boiling water for something like 5-10 seconds. Adjust the model to how you want it, and then dip it into cold water. Done!

At what point would you like the OP to do something other than he has already described?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the cold water undoes some of the bending for me. I run in hot tap water (ours is really hot), then I carefully hold it in place (a tiny bit bent in the opposite direction it was). No cold water here.

Has worked every time so far.

Perhaps "your" zombie has a pulled decaying calf muscle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Proto Persona wrote:
You can get a replacement piece from FFG if that one won't stay upright.

http://parts.fantasyflightgames.com/

Nice! I too have leaning zombies and archers. The water trick but helped but it's bending back over. I might resort to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get replacements from FFG's excellent customer service if the hot water trick isn't working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has saved my zombie mini. That and Purple Paladin's advice.

I heated him up in near-boiling water again, but this time I left him submerged for about 20 seconds instead of 8. Then, instead of immediately cooling him in ice-water, I just held him in shape for about 30 seconds until he cooled enough for me to let go without him falling over.

Then I used my DVD boxes for the complete first and second seasons of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (one on either side...on the mini's base and just slightly touching his body) to hold him in place while I went to work. Ten hours later, I removed the cases. I waited another 12 hours, and he appears to have maintained his shape with just the slightest bend to the left, which is good enough for me.

So if any of you are having the same problem, you should definitely try letting them cool a bit more slowly with something holding them in place the entire time instead of the ice-water dunk. That seems to do the trick with the stubborn ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have Season 1 from Lost will it help or will it have to be the Prince??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost you can just throw in the boiling water.

--
Buggy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
I had this problem too with 3 of my 5 zombies. I just put them between 2 books in a bookcase for 2 days and they straightened out.

The pose was a stupid choice and is what is causing the problem. Not a very well thought out mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real cause of the problem is the way they are handled or stored in the minutes after their ejection from he injection moulding machine that made them. They're not being given enough time to cool in the proper pose before lateral pressure is put on them, deforming the figures from the upright pose. It could be something as simple as increasing the cycle times on the injection moulders so the figures cool a few degrees more before being dumped in a big bin with others - but such a measure (like better QC) costs money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.