20 Posts

Samurai Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Samurai Battles FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Bell
msg tools
Hello all,

Short introduction, I have been working with Richard on Command and Colors games for a few years now. You can find me listed on plenty of credits, especially for Mem'44, if you go digging far enough. I just tend to avoid forums so I have only ever lurked here.

Samurai Battles is something Richard and I have been working on for a while, and in between conventions we hashed out a "Digest Rules and FAQ" for general consumption. It includes a list of questions I came up with, along with answers to a few of the questions I found on this forum. It should address everything up to the 20th of July (i.e. Commander Figures and Ambush vs. First Strike.)

I will keep it updated as often as possible and start checking the forum on a regular basis, since I can make it more often than Richard. I have a slew of new official scenarios that need Richard's blessing, and there are plenty of new units planned, so stay tuned for good things to come.

The link for the PDF of the FAQ is:
(www.bellgamers.com/downloads/sam_bat_faq.pdf)

Let me know if there are any issues with the file.

Until next time, keep your katana sharp!

Talespinner
(aka Brad)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brad.

You are most welcome here !

Looking forwards to seeing more SB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Talespinner2 wrote:
Hello all,

Short introduction, I have been working with Richard on Command and Colors games for a few years now. You can find me listed on plenty of credits, especially for Mem'44, if you go digging far enough. I just tend to avoid forums so I have only ever lurked here.

Samurai Battles is something Richard and I have been working on for a while, and in between conventions we hashed out a "Digest Rules and FAQ" for general consumption. It includes a list of questions I came up with, along with answers to a few of the questions I found on this forum. It should address everything up to the 20th of July (i.e. Commander Figures and Ambush vs. First Strike.)

I will keep it updated as often as possible and start checking the forum on a regular basis, since I can make it more often than Richard. I have a slew of new official scenarios that need Richard's blessing, and there are plenty of new units planned, so stay tuned for good things to come.

The link for the PDF of the FAQ is:
(www.bellgamers.com/downloads/sam_bat_faq.pdf)

Let me know if there are any issues with the file.

Until next time, keep your katana sharp!

Talespinner
(aka Brad)

Sweet! Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to see what you all have coming down the pike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Domyoji 1615 - Heights of Komatsuyama (page 7)
o TheUesugiSamuraiInfantryunitsymbolbehindthehillshouldactuallybea
Samurai Cavalry unit symbol.

The scenario book does not use Uesugi, but calls that side "Osaka" army.

Which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
kduke wrote:
Quote:
Domyoji 1615 - Heights of Komatsuyama (page 7)
o TheUesugiSamuraiInfantryunitsymbolbehindthehillshouldactuallybea
Samurai Cavalry unit symbol.

The scenario book does not use Uesugi, but calls that side "Osaka" army.

Which is it?

Okay, I hang my head in shame there. That should not have made it past me.

In 1615 it would have been the Osaka Army, which was nominally led by the son of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The Uesugi clan by then would have been off in Echigo and nowhere near the battle. Assume it is the Osaka side, I will double check, and also correct it in the next version of the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is a SB FAQ, will the AoT side of things get covered as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
matthean wrote:

At this time, no.
I am not sure about Richard, but I am not familiar enough with AoT or the intent behind some of the mechanics enough to be comfortable answering questions about it.

Or, to put it another way, "Your guess is as good as mine."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

This is not Richard's or Brad's responsibility.

The AOT FAQs will only get done if a)Zvezda comes forward and produces them or b)if a bbg fan creates them. Since I have seen a "zero" presence from Zvezda in the first 2-3 months of the game's intial launch, then I suspect a) is not looking promising.

Thank you Brad and Richard for supplying your gaming community with great customer service... It's appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brad-

Thanks so much for doing this!

Here are a few issues for the FAQ. You can find more ore the original discussions about these if you browse the posts in this forum.

1) Mounted leader inspiration: Is the cost one Honor per adjacent unit or just one for all. Richard told me per unit at H-con but it's not in the rulebook.
2) Can inspiration occur whenever the unit battles... offensively or defensively?
3) Do samurai cavalry ignore one sword against other samurai cavalry?
4) If the leader figure in the Command Tent Unit is destroyed by a card effect (ninja, etc.) and there are still remaining bodyguard figures, does the command tent remain on the table and provide all normal bonuses, etc?

Richard answered another here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9714937#9714937

I'll add more as I find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
Black Knight wrote:
Hi Brad-

1) Mounted leader inspiration: Is the cost one Honor per adjacent unit or just one for all. Richard told me per unit at H-con but it's not in the rulebook.
2) Can inspiration occur whenever the unit battles... offensively or defensively?
3) Do samurai cavalry ignore one sword against other samurai cavalry?
4) If the leader figure in the Command Tent Unit is destroyed by a card effect (ninja, etc.) and there are still remaining bodyguard figures, does the command tent remain on the table and provide all normal bonuses, etc?

Thanks for digging these up.

1) It is per unit. This is actually one of the clarifications from the General Rules, page 1 of the download. "A cavalry leader may spend 1 Honor and Fortune to add one die to the attached unit or an adjacent friendly unit’s combat dice. A cavalry leader can spend 1 Honor and Fortune on each unit if desired."
2) Yes, you can use Inspiration on your turn or the other player's turn.
3) My assumption is "no" that the samurai cavalry, being equal stature and rank, would not ignore any swords rolled by another samurai cavalry. Richard, of course, could contradict me.
4) Richard's Command Tent answers will be included in the next version of the FAQ, which should be up in later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
Hello all,

Mostly good news all around.
I have updated the Samurai Battles FAQ (same link as above) with a few new items.

I do not have an official answer from Richard yet on the question, "If the leader figure in the Command Tent Unit is destroyed by a card effect (ninja, etc.) and there are still remaining bodyguard figures, does the command tent remain on the table and provide all normal bonuses, etc?"

However, Richard and I will both be at GenCon next week. So I suggest the following:

1) Any rules questions that people post before 1800 EST Tuesday will get added to my list of things Richard and I need to work out. They will all be answered in the first FAQ I post after GenCon.
2) If you are at GenCon Indy, feel free to flag either of us down and ask questions. Both of us can field most any question about the C&C system, but I have been repeatedly told that getting sneak peeks out of Richard is easier than me.

Thank you everyone for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
The first post GenCon FAQ is up, use the link above to get the latest version.

As always, if you have any questions, post them in the forum here and I will get them answered. Or I will track Richard down and get an answer from him for the ones that I do not know.

Thanks for your support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your faq.

There is one error concerning the "Strike Fear" dragon card.
Richard Borg has brought some light on that card here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/836276/dragon-card-strik...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find this section of the forum and figured it might be of some use.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/List_of_game_FAQs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
I've been out for a bit, but the FAQ has now been updated with the latest additions from Richard and a couple corrections that have been mailed to me.

Also, note that the Strike Fear card has been subject to Errata as noted in the link by King Bing and that has been updated on the FAQ.

If there are any issues or problems with it let me know.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a Zvezda rep posted a new scenario, I tossed them a PM about getting support for the AoT side of the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
The FAQ has been updated. You can use the Link above to get it right away. I also submitted it to be added to the Samurai Battles page with the other files, once it is there I will keep that one updated and remove the other link.

Thank you everyone for your continued support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
Hello all,

I have submitted an updated FAQ with today. In a couple days it should show up for download. The file is named "CC_Sam_Bat_Rules_FAQ_27MAR13.pdf" and the additions are marked in BOLD with the word NEW at the start of the section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talespinner2 wrote:
I have submitted an updated FAQ with today. In a couple days it should show up for download. The file is named "CC_Sam_Bat_Rules_FAQ_27MAR13.pdf" and the additions are marked in BOLD with the word NEW at the start of the section.

Or much earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.