Subject: Planned Parenthood? (a 28-action win) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
A 28-action 4p win has got to be an uncommon thing (maybe someone with play-agricola stats can weigh in on that), so I thought this was worth sharing.

This one was played over at Boîte à Jeux, and started off with an EIK draft, advanced mode. Advanced mode just means that all cards currently implemented at BaJ are included (the list is here - not sure if it’s up to date).

Draft
Oc: Animal Handler, Chief’s Daughter, Frame Builder, House Steward, Seed Seller, Social Climber, Storehouse Clerk
Mn: Clay Supports, Cooking Hearth, Cooking Corner, Hand Mill, House Goat, Mansion, Schnaps Distillery

I’d seen a Storehouse Clerk game run before (that player won), and I’ve wanted to run one ever since. It isn’t too difficult to get at least the wood engine going, and maybe the clay, too (though I didn’t here), but the reed and stone are a little more difficult. The trick is having the discipline not to spend those gathering resources. The other trick, of course, is that you need a way to turn those gathering resources into points. Using Clay Supports, Frame Builder, and Mansion, I planned to build a big-ass house. I used a spreadsheet to calculate how many of each resource I’d need for various house sizes (because this is a fun game, right?). At this point I still harbored a fantasy of growing my family (in R10 maybe) and using the extra actions to fill out my farm. Fantasy indeed.

Part of what’s interesting about this game is how little I had to wrestle with the other players to get my work done. I’m using that as an excuse to be lazy and only write out my own actions (my hope is that it’s actually a little easier to read). Here’s the game record (with full history) for anyone curious about what else was going on. On with it, then...

+3f (3rd player)

R1: Sheep
1.1 rsf
1.2 2w

Knowing that stone and reed will be the most difficult to get going, I’m happy to get rsf here.

R2: MIMI
2.1 Oc: House Steward (+4w)
2.2 Oc: Storehouse Clerk (-1f)

I was a little surprised to get both of these out in one round.

R3: Fences
3.1 3w
3.2 SP + House Goat

The 3w gets Storehouse Clerk going. House Goat is just good, of course.

R4: Sow +/ Bake
[+1w (Storehouse Clerk)]
4.1 4c
4.2 4f

At this point I wasn’t sure if I’d want to get a clay run going. I only strictly needed 5c (2 for renovation, 3 for Mansion), but I had vague plans to get a Fireplace, upgrade to the minor Cooking Hearth, then upgrade to the Cooking Corner, all using some Family Growth actions that I imagined would come somewhere around round 10 or 11. Considering that I don’t use the clay until R7, perhaps rsf would have been a better first action.

Harvest:
Feed: [+1f (House Goat)] -4f
Supply: 4f/10w/4c/1r/1s
Farm: 2fm/2wr/13un

R5: FG + Mn
[+1w (Storehouse Clerk)]
5.1 rsf
5.2 Oc: Social Climber (-1f)

Family Growth is out early (I call R5 early and R7 late). Since I’m not growing anytime soon, I’d’ve preferred it to come in R7. Social Climber will help with the stone I need for a big renovation.

R6: Stone1
[+1w (Storehouse Clerk)]
6.1 rsf
6.2 SP + Clay Supports (-2w)

Around this time I’m watching other people BR and FG, and it begins to feel like I’m playing another game off by myself. Here I realize even more that reed is a chokepoint, so all I care about is getting the Storehouse Clerk to produce it. Clay Supports had to come out sometime, and here I hoped to use SP to get 2r.

R7: Reno + MIMI
[+1w (Storehouse Clerk)]
7.1 2r
7.2 Reno (-2c -1r -2wr +2cr) [+3s (Social Climber)] + Building Material (+1w)

I got the the 2r, and renoed while Social Climber would give the full 3s payout. Another player played Pieceworker, and for a moment I fantasized about how much quicker my engine would’ve gotten going using that card. Then I remembered I was just scraping by in terms of feeding, so Pieceworker might’n’t have worked very well anyway.

Harvest:
Supply: 2f/12w/2c/4r/6s
Farm: 2fm/2cr/13un

R8: Vegetable
[+1w +1s (Storehouse Clerk)]
8.1 rsf
8.2 1r

I was at my most doubtful when I took the single reed. I didn’t think my plan was going to work, but I figured that backing out here would result in a middling farm and a 3rd or 4th place finish. At least my reed engine was finally running.

R9: Wild Boar
[+1w +1r +1s (Storehouse Clerk)]
9.1 4c
9.2 3f

I was still 1c shy of Mansion, so taking 4c gave me a shot at the 3c Fireplace. Otherwise, scrounging.

Harvest:
Supply: 3f/14w/6c/7r/9s

R10: Cattle
10.1 Oc: Frame Builder (-1f)
10.2 3f

Frame Builder was the final cog in my cheap room engine, bringing the cost of a clay room down to 2w1r. Otherwise, more scrounging.

R11: Stone2
11.1 2r
11.2 3w

I considered building rooms here, but decided to hold off one more round. Taking wood allowed me to build an additional room, and the 2r (plus the 1r from another round of Storehouse Clerk) was the last bit of reed I needed for my plan.

Harvest:
Supply: 2f/19w/6c/11r/11s

R12: Plow +/ Sow
12.1 BRx9 (-18w -9r (Clay Supports, Frame Builder) +9cr)
12.2 Reno (-1r -11s -11cr +11sr) [+3s (Social Climber)] + FP (-3c)

KABLAM!! Nine clay rooms added. KABLAM!! Renovated to stone. I finally grabbed a cookery, and I got the second 3s Social Climber payout.

R13: FG w/o
13.1 2ca [Cook (-2ca +6f)]
13.2 3w

I needed food for, ya know, feeding, and I still lacked 1w for Mansion. I strongly considered FGing instead of taking the wood, but I couldn’t get it to add up to more points. If I’d grown here, then in R14 my three actions would likely have been: wood, food, FG + Mansion. The only way I could see this path leading to more points is if the food action had consisted of taking two animals, cooking one, and keeping the other for points. Since House Goat precluded that, I chose the safer route - taking the wood and guaranteeing Mansion.

Harvest:
Supply: 5f/2w/3c/2r/4s
Farm: 2fm/11sr/4un

R14: Reno + Fences
14.1 FG w/o (+1fm)
14.2 FG (+1fm) + Mansion (-3w -3c -2r -3s)
[Oc: Chief’s Daughter (Chief was played)]

Thanks to Wet Nurse, Head of the Family, and Chamberlain, everyone else had 5 family members in R14 - leaving both FG spots open. I knew I was going to FG + Mansion, so my only real decision this round was whether to use my other action to FG w/o or play Chief’s Daughter. The score was going to be close, and playing an occupation is a mild block, so I was leaning toward CD. Then I remembered her special ability and decided to give the other stone house player a chance to play Chief. After FGing twice and finally dropping Mansion, Chief actually came out - nice!

Harvest:
Feed: [+1f (House Goat)] -6f
Supply: 2w/1s
Farm: 4fm/11sr/4un

My farm:

My scorecard:

fi: -1
pa: -1
g: -1
v: -1
sh: -1
wb: -1
ca: -1
fs: 0
un: -4
rm: 22
fm: 12
cd: 2
(Fireplace: 1, House Goat: 1)
bp: 28 (Chief’s Daughter: 3, House Steward: 3, Mansion: 22)
total: 53

The final score was 53 - 48 - 47 - 35.

Agricola can be won in some odd ways. I don’t have much else to offer in the way of post-game analysis - besides, typing up all these actions and links is enough work as it is (just ask MisterG). I’m proud of my 28-action win - that string of negatives just makes it sweeter.

Questions and discussion are welcome, and of course, thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Utterly awesome. For those who care, that's a phenomenal 1.893 PPA, very possibly the highest I've ever seen. Outstanding! Thanks for a great report, Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
And, btw, so much for the game forcing players to diversify. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
When I saw this headline, I didn't realize I was in this game, because I never even noticed that you stayed with 2 family members the whole way. BaJ has given me some very bad habits.

I think can remember this happening once on play-agricola.com, but I don't think it was a pure EIK game. I also think I've seen it a couple of times in FotM games, where zlorfik was just dominant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I created an account here just so I could register how impressed I was by this game. Well done!

Also, I'm having a lot of fun imagining this game in the real world. The snobby, business-savvy, doesn't-want-to-get-their-hands-dirty power couple sniffing at the hard-working honest folk around them, choosing instead to focus on building a ridiculously opulent mansion to impress the neighbors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
FG + Mansion was a 25-point play. I don't think I've ever seen a player's score swing so heavily in a single action before, outside of solo games.

Nice work! And I like that you snaked the house across your farmyard instead of just building a big block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, and for taking the time to include all those links. I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it is much appreciated by your readers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:
FG + Mansion was a 25-point play. I don't think I've ever seen a player's score swing so heavily in a single action before, outside of solo games.

I've definitely got the log of a 39-point play somewhere in a 2P game. 6 room renovation with chief & mansion (24 points) plus one large pasture (2 points) covering 9 spaces (9 points) with manger (4 points). I went from being 42-14 down to winning by 11!

But what I like best about this thread is the cool snake-shaped house. Who wouldn't want to live in that!

EDIT: Hey we both scored 53 as well - spooooky....zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
But what I like best about this thread is the cool snake-shaped house. Who wouldn't want to live in that!

That was my exact thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you cheated in round 13ish when you took cattle and baked them without housing them. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
I think you cheated in round 13ish when you took cattle and baked them without housing them. Am I right?
No. You can take animals from the board and immediately cook them. The only time you cannot receive an animal and immediately cook it without housing it is during the breeding phase of the Harvest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sapiro
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tremendous, who says you have to diversify to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:

Seriously?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback everybody!

bjwells wrote:
byrdru wrote:

Seriously?!

The confusion surrounding cooking animals from the board is quite tenacious indeed:

Feb 2008: Cooking animals without having pastures?
Dec 2008: If you haven't space for animals can you cook them?
Jan 2009: Cooking Animals
Feb 2009: Slaughtering animals taken from an action card without space
Jun 2009: Slaughtering animals, meaning of "first occupation" and required and optional actions
Sep 2009: Taking animals and slaughtering them?
Dec 2009: No Pastures and Animals to Food
Mar 2010: Converting Animeeples to Food
Dec 2010: Cooking Animals No Room in Field/House
Feb 2011: Killing animals without room in your home?
Jun 2011: Taking animals without having room for them
Aug 2011: Bring animals to slaughter without pastures?
Jul 2012: Cooking Animals Straight from the Board

I'll quote a recent post by

Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools

"In the next edition of the game, they should just put it in bold, on the cover: You may use a Fireplace or Cooking Hearth to cook animals straight from the board, even without room for them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere, I have a screenshot of a BaJ game where my opponent compared me to a Holocaust denialist for taking sheep straight off the board and cooking them.

Which I thought was a bit of an overreaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno; Holocaust deniers are a pretty low bunch. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
CJ, I asked over at play-agricola.com about 28 action wins, with a link to your amazing victory.

Since the start of 2011, there have been 7 such victories, out of 16,500 games. So yeah, it is a very rare feat.

Here is the link for the p-a forum thread: http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=3367.0

And here is a game that is a VERY close match to what you did: a Clay Supports/Thatcher/Storehouse Clerk/Mansion game... but he outscored you by 2 points!

http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/GameLogs/allturnserver.php...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
smcmike wrote:
CJ, I asked over at play-agricola.com about 28 action wins, with a link to your amazing victory.

Since the start of 2011, there have been 7 such victories, out of 16,500 games. So yeah, it is a very rare feat.

Here is the link for the p-a forum thread: http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=3367.0

And here is a game that is a VERY close match to what you did: a Clay Supports/Thatcher/Storehouse Clerk/Mansion game... but he outscored you by 2 points!

http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/GameLogs/allturnserver.php...

Nice. Thatcher would've been a big help in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thatcher's a big help in ANY game, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
ousgg wrote:
Thatcher's a big help in ANY game, isn't it?
No. It can be nice to have, but I wouldn't call it a big help. In a typical game where you build 2 rooms and reno twice, Thatcher saves you 4r. That's about 2 actions of reed collecting, and it still cost an action to play Thatcher.

In this game, I spent 13r (9 rooms (Clay Supports), 2 renos, Mansion). If I had Thatcher, I would've needed just a single reed for Mansion. That's why I said big help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Thatcher's main use is in helping to ensure early expansion or in enabling a double-build. In the former case, practically nobody is going to make grabbing 1R a priority so you can be sure that you'll have access to the reed you need to grow. In the latter case, grabbing 4R is typically more than twice as hard as grabbing 2R in the early game; Thatcher lets you focus on getting all the wood you need for a double build instead.

I had a fun game last week where I had Thatcher, Wood Hut Builder, and the Axe. Wooden rooms as good as clay rooms for 2W1R apiece. Thatcher only saved me 3R in that game though, since I wasn't renovating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:

Which is so rare to accomplish, it gets a special thread about it. cool

Not to mention, to pull it off requires a bunch of 4+ player cards that are illegal to be in the deck when I play.

So no, this doesn't change my opinion any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
MisterG wrote:

Not to mention, to pull it off requires a bunch of 4+ player cards that are illegal to be in the deck when I play.

Aw, man - that's what I made this whole thread for! Back to the drawing board... cool

(But really, you're on the Agricola boards an awful lot considering how much you seem to hate the game. Just sayin'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Foerster
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjfoster wrote:
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
MisterG wrote:

Aw, man - that's what I made this whole thread for! Back to the drawing board... cool

(But really, you're on the Agricola boards an awful lot considering how much you seem to hate the game. Just sayin'.)

This is a fair point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.