Subject: How do you keep potted houseplants alive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
I bought potted ivies, several palms for the patio, small potted bushes, catnip, ficus, and so on. Every single one of them is dying. I've experimented with watering once a week, once every other day, and various others for months. It seemed like they were drying up in this heat wave, so I tried watering them more often. I try more sun, less sun. I try following the instructions for each plant.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do. A houseplant comes near me, and it will be dead in less than three months.

Then I go to the local sushi joint and see the same types of plants, and they are just lush and vibrant and green. On a patio just like mine. My ex-neighbor's entire backyard (a narrow, shady space between two apts) is full of the same kinds of plants, and is also jungle-like.

Does anyone have any tips, advice, links, or books for learning this apparently occult art? How can this be so difficult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all my plants green and healthy with this one weird trick.

I buy artificial ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have a green thumb.

I seem to be able to pretty easily keep houseplants alive. They grow like crazy for me. There is no trick, I don't even try very hard. They just keep on growing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
My trick has two steps; if a plant dies I don't buy that kind again, if a plant does well in my care I get more of that kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife keeps quite a few houseplants and does very well with them. I don't know what her secret is, and I've never thought to ask. I just let her do her thing. Whenever her mother comes to visit, she always expresses jealousy at how well our plants are doing and that hers are always dying. I'll ask her if she has any tips and report back later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite indoor plant is Zamioculcas zamiifolia (aka ZZ plant). Not much watering is needed. They prefer warm environments. And I place them next to bright window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Not much watering is needed.

I have a snake plant that I rarely water and it does just fine.

Not my pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I own catcuses. (cactusi?)

Water them once a week, if that. Leave in sun and keep out of the cold.

Tadah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UndeadViking wrote:
I own catcuses. (cactusi?)

Cacti. Cactuses is also acceptable, according to Webster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to your neighbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Potted plants will live an average of 2-3 weeks longer than a bouquet of cut flowers in my home. Plants die indoors, it is their fate. I have come to accept this and once you do too your life will be happier and more productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really good with plants (I think I get this from my mom). I can confidently say the solution to your problem is... way to varied to sum up in an easy reply. Here is the best I can do quickly.

Some plants can be easily underwatered some can be easily overwatered. Some like full summer sun, others hate it. Some prefere to be outside in the summer some hate it.

Water... In general though the best tip I can give is make sure the pot and soil has very good drainage. Water over the sink until it is vey well saturated, and comes out of the bottom of the pot. Allow to drip out. When done dripping put somewhere. Do not allow to completely dry out so the soil is hard, but do not keep the soil moist it will rot the roots. Water again when it's starting to dry. Maybe once a week depending.

As for sun... put plants in an area with indirect sun. If it is not doing well or is growing at an angle towards more full sun, put it in a sunnier area. A plant that is living but is not green and lush may want more sun, one that is dying back and browning probably wants less.

Potting... every plant that is doing well, the roots will grow and fill the pot. This is called rootbound. The plant needs to be taken out of the pot the root ball broken up and cut back. Then placed in a pot with fresh soil. If you want a bigger plant put it in a bigger pot, the same size, back in the same pot. Even though the plant you just bought from where ever is new to you, it might have been in that pot a long time and need repotting. If you grab it by the stems/trunk/sections right above the soil and gently pull up, and the whole thing as a ball starts to come out of the pot, re-pot it.

Fertilizer...one word "miracle grow"

Buy from a good greenhouse/dealer/plant guy, and ask questions on how best to care for it. An experienced person can buy plants from Home Depot/Walmart/Target etc. for cheap and make it work by repotting and extra care. But a rookie needs to learn a little to make that work out a large percent of the time.

Keep trying and pay attention don't give up.

After you learn plants try Bonsai and then you will see how easy house plants are.

Edit: I forgot trimming... keep them trimmed a plant that gets long/tall will also get thin. If you want a plant that is full and lush near the pot you have to keep is short. Of course for some types this is impossible and that is why trimming has to be taken case by case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
hammiesink wrote:
I bought potted ivies, several palms for the patio, small potted bushes, catnip, ficus, and so on.

Ficus is latin for quick death.
in my house at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't.

Black thumb of plant death - includes lawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anymore, as my wife killed all of our indoor houseplants after we got married.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Start a Sushi bar.

If that is impracticable, just remember that plants need little more than some water and lots of light. If plants don't grow, it is probably a lack of light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... how are they dying? Are they turning brown / black / yellow, are they shrivelling up, drooping, dropping all their leaves, are the leaves brown & dry at the edges?

Quick thoughts:

Water them until water comes out the bottom onto the drainage dish. If the soil was dry when you did it, go away for 10 minutes or more, come back & repeat. That's how I know I've watered them enough.

Many plants droop when they need water. When I first get a plant, I watch for that, and that tells me how often to water it.

Ficuses don't like to be moved. They'll drop a bunch of leaves right off, but keep at it & they'll regrow them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UPDATE: I asked my wife what her secret was. She said she didn't have any. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a pothos or a spider plant.

Otherwise, move plants to a different house. Those are the only viable options for me. I've even killed a cactus. I'm not a gardener.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
UPDATE: I asked my wife what her secret was. She said she didn't have any. Sorry.
If she had a secret, and knew you were going to post it on the internet, would she really tell you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wmshub wrote:
Leezer wrote:
If she had a secret, and knew you were going to post it on the internet, would she really tell you?

I didn't tell her I was going to post it on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sing to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep potted house plants alive by leaving them in the store.

(Or rely on spider plants and those spindly palm tree things that seem to have a higher tolerance for neglect.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.