Subject: Suggestions for a better game over Stratego? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea behind Stratego, but I'm looking for a board game that uses the same type of layout, but better. I was thinking of buying "Commands and Colors Ancients" because it's a 2 player war game with simple mechanics.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Commands and Colors Ancients is one of my favorite games and I would recommend it to anyone but not as an upgrade from Stratego. If you are not familiar with the rules of CC Ancients, do yourself a favor and check out the rules here before you buy it:

http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/CC_Rules_2009.pdf

I just don't want you to buy a game that is not what you are expecting it to be. It is relatively simple when compared to other wargames but it is significantly advanced compared to Stratego.

The games that Kelly mentioned above might be a better step up for you.

And welcome to BGG! Have some Geek Gold!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 LOTR The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasdc3po wrote:
I like the idea behind Stratego, but I'm looking for a board game that uses the same type of layout, but better. I was thinking of buying "Commands and Colors Ancients" because it's a 2 player war game with simple mechanics.

Any suggestions?

C&C:Ancients is a great system, but if you're thinking of the hidden information aspect of Stratego, it's not there. Most block wargames do use hidden info, but the Commands & Colors family of games are an exception.

I agree with the posters above that LotR: the Confrontation is a superb game. It's Stratego roots are obvious, but it has subtle changes which have a big impact and provide a surprisingly successful thematic experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another interesting game from the Stratego family that might be difficult to find, but I'll give you the link anyway in case you'd like to check it out: Senjutsu: Dynamic Samurai Combat.

There is also an excellent card game which often gets compared to Stratego: Hera and Zeus. It also might be hard to find these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you want a block wargame with fog of war, look at Napoleon's Triumph or Hammer of the Scots.

IF you want Stratego, get Confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
If you want a block wargame with fog of war, look at Napoleon's Triumph or Hammer of the Scots.

I love Napoleon's Triumph, but hesitated to suggest it because it is far more difficult to learn than Stratego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
+1 to LotR: the Confrontation, but Commands and Colors will be also a great choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For an easier block game to get into, check into Julius Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

I love Napoleon's Triumph, but hesitated to suggest it because it is far more difficult to learn than Stratego.

I should add more information to this thread. The most complex game I can play without a problem is Twilight Struggle, so that's my experience with game difficulty. Now that I think about it, I think the fog of war aspect is what I don't like about Stratego, which is why I'm looking for a "replacement". So Commands and Colors would do well in that category. I also don't like how all the soldiers are bunched up on top of each other, limiting movement of the pieces.

I looked up all the games listed in this thread, which I really appreciate, and I could understand how Confrontation is the best choice, but it's nearly $100.

Thanks for all of the help. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention I've played Twilight Struggle many times, so hopefully CC Ancients won't be too hard to learn. Also, I looked up the rules, and I like how you know the opponent's forces as well as your own, which makes the strategy more focused on maneuver that how to guess the other person's peaces correctly.

And thank you for the Geek Gold. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good starter games for the block system:
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815
War of 1812
Quebec 1759

If you like 'em you can move on to the heavier stuff.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Or Strike of the Eagle since it's the first game in a new series called Fog of War. The manual is short and comes with player aids as well so it should be rather easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle TS, and don't want fog of war, then definitely CCA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Julius Caesar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hera and Zeus: It is a cardgame with more luck than Stratego but faster and more funny (at least for us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no problem with Twilight Struggle you will be just fine with Ancients. Get it if you can! You won't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (Deluxe Edition). Definitely. Plays like Stratego except that each player only gets 9 units, they can only move forwards (most of the time), each unit has a unique ability, and a combat card is played in battle to keep the strategy and tension level high. Short and sweet, and you will definitely want to play more than one game. Once you know how to play, you can easily fit 3 games into an hour's worth of playtime. Surprisingly good for a game that's short.

Someone on the geek (a reviewer I believe) said that it's like Stratego on steroids.

Edit: "Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is Stratego on steroids (or, put another way, what Stratego Legends wished it could have been)." -- Josh Edwards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.