Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Usual questions for those who prefer solitaire play.

Solitaire doable?

Any chance of solitaire rules? I know, I know it comes with cards, but ...Why not?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm evolving the system and it will probably not come with cards. I believe it will be playable solitarily as most games are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kanger wrote:
I'm evolving the system and it will probably not come with cards.

Sad to hear that.

The open game turn system seemed to be a pretty unique and refreshing feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After awhile I realised two things. First, basically, the only options by the VM was barrage and assault, and by the French reactive barrage and assault. This made it difficult to create different kinds of phases to choose from. Second, there were so many aspects concerning movement, inside or outside trenches, when barrage took place, and how assaults were made by the two sides, that forced me to script the game turn in order to make it work. But don't worry, it will be a good game

But, I will keep the open game turn idea on a nice corner in my mind, ready to be pulled out when the right occasion comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, will the game finally have no FoW or C&C limitations of any kind?

If that happens to be the case, what would you say are the features that make it different from the typical hex and counter stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be a hex and counter game in many senses but there will be a couple of nice features in it.

The French will have a war of logistics. There will be three tracks; Ammo, gas and food, and neither of them should, for good reasons, reach zero (although ammo probably will a few times). At the same time, there is a matrix with 18 slots (3x6) representing air freight, on which the French player places a mix supply and reinforcement counters (ammo, gas, food, reinforcements, replacements). But a random third will abort and you never know beforehand which ones exactly. So, you will never know what will not arrive this game turn and therefore what you will be in dire need of (which might force you to send extra of something, just in case). Well, you will be in dire need of everything basically since you can't really afford loosing a third. What balances it is that ammo replacements for the VM is not that quick either.

Another thing will be VM moral. VM will have a lot of troop replacements but when a division receives a certain amount of step replacements its battalions will start to suffer a worsening morale. This will be balanced by taking strongpoints (which, of course, often results in taking losses as well). What is not good is when you start taking losses without taking the strongpoint.

These are two examples of features in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting close to ordering this, a nice desperate action if I've ever heard of one!

But I also am most likely to play it solitaire, so how would you say that work given the current evolution of the design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, pretty good. There are no chits, hidden units, cards or whatever that has to be hidden from an opponent. So, solitaire play is no problem.

The game has a surprisingly high replay value. It has so many stategy options, even though it depicts a specific battle. I find myself trying out totally different approaches to see if there is a sure killer strategy among them. This is a good thing, since one then wants to play it again because a better idea dawns upon you. Another pleasant thing is the feeling of movie drama. The units are few and small. The hexes are just 150 across. When you push out a company from a dug in, to save your comrades in a strongpoint a few hundred meters away and bring them some supply, then it all becomes very real.

I have played the campaign a few times and what I'm happy to say that the fortune of battle (or rather the feeling of fortune) usually changes back and forth between the players a few times. You feel you are ahead and in a flow, and then you make a mistake and a bunch of your units are terribly massacred by enemy artillery fire. Later on though, it may have returned to your back alley again. So, you never know what waits behind the corner, you never know how an assault will end, and you never know what tomorrow will bring. You can plan and increase your chances, and you should. But there are no sure answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great Kim. Appreciate the quick answer and it sounds like a fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.