Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: When is travel deck reshuffled? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Hey,

When is the travel deck reshuffled. We play that it is reshuffled after each quest, but does it state it in the rulebook???

-MV
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We also (re)shuffle before travel but AFAIK the rulebook does not state when the deck has to be shuffled.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruelsader wrote:
We also (re)shuffle before travel but AFAIK the rulebook does not state when the deck has to be shuffled.

+1
TK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Given that technically a quest is probably intended to potentially fill a session (the fact that many will be addicted long-sessioneers nonwithstanding) and you might pack up afterwards (and would shuffle again after unpacking again next session), I'm inclined to consider reshuffle ALL THE THINGS after each quest a given, even if you don't call it a day.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering this myself as well as when to reshuffle the Search and Shop decks. We've been doing it between every encounter, but it isn't specifically stated anywhere in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
Was wondering this myself as well as when to reshuffle the Search and Shop decks. We've been doing it between every encounter, but it isn't specifically stated anywhere in the rules.

If you're playing a campaign I believe you should NOT shuffle the shop and search decks between encounters. The heroes can't cash in the search cards for gold until AFTER a quest is complete.
TK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You only draw travel cards on the way to the first encounter.

After the second encounter, when you've finished the quest, you draw no cards "on the way home".

So, the travel deck is only shuffled/used while traveling "to" your first enounter of a quest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
BakaMattSu wrote:
Was wondering this myself as well as when to reshuffle the Search and Shop decks. We've been doing it between every encounter, but it isn't specifically stated anywhere in the rules.

If you're playing a campaign I believe you should NOT shuffle the shop and search decks between encounters. The heroes can't cash in the search cards for gold until AFTER a quest is complete.
TK


The only cards that could get shuffled back in are the treasure chest and nothing cards, so I'd agree that they should stay out of the deck. The heroes don't need to get a second freebie item in the middle of the quest :p
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
tkelly wrote:
BakaMattSu wrote:
Was wondering this myself as well as when to reshuffle the Search and Shop decks. We've been doing it between every encounter, but it isn't specifically stated anywhere in the rules.

If you're playing a campaign I believe you should NOT shuffle the shop and search decks between encounters. The heroes can't cash in the search cards for gold until AFTER a quest is complete.
TK


The only cards that could get shuffled back in are the treasure chest and nothing cards, so I'd agree that they should stay out of the deck. The heroes don't need to get a second freebie item in the middle of the quest

I was wondering if this was clarified somewhere as well, although it seems quite obvious. As heroes keep their one-offs from the search deck between encounters the only thing that makes sense to me is reshuffling prior to travel. Then not touching it until the quest is over.

If you reshuffle before each encounter it is theoretically possible for the heroes to draw something like three treasure chests in one quest (if you draw one on the travel cards).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
Hi Martin,

The Travel Event cards are shuffled back together at the end of the Campaign phase.

Thanks,
Adam Sadler
Managing Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! So it's a fresh deck every time one travels.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.