Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have all of the sets leading up to this one, and we have never used traps or treasures. We personally feel they complicate and randomize the game too much.

Since I heard that this expansion will be adding treasures, I'm concerned that some of the village, hero and monster cards will have effects regarding treasures. I'm hoping that this is not the case. We have seen earlier cards that make reference to traps, and they become lessened in their value when you don't play with traps.

Does anyone know yet to what extent these new cards specifically mention "treasures", and if treasures are still optional with this expansion?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
After a quick look through the cards in ThunderAID (a Thunderstone setup app for iOS) I can state that there are no cards that specifically mention Treasures or Traps.

From my quick perusal, you should be able to use any Caverns of Bane village, hero, or monster cards with no lessened effect if treasures are not in the set up.

They completely re-worked the way that treasures work now, which makes them much more "compatible" with the game. I felt before that traps and treasures were just an added after-thought to Thunderstone. Treasures in TS:A just fit more in line with the mechanics.

After everything I've seen and read so far, I think Treasures will be in almost every game we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
none of the village cards specifically reference treasures. there is a class that benefits from magic items in your hand. that's the closest i can think of.

there are no trap cards in CoB. that said, the ambusher / raid effects have trap like effects and CoB adds more of these.

as for including treasures in every game, i could certainly see this. they are done much better than they were in the original. that said there's almost no variety thus far so they may start to feel a bit redundant.

Treasures certainly add a big luck element. you don't want to be the person to reveal the treasure as you'll be the last to get a crack at that monster. then again even when you win the treasure, they aren't game warping by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Treasures act more like loot in Advance. When you run into one of them in the Hall, you attach it to the next monster on the dungeon stack. They get the buff from the treasure and if you defeat that monster, you gain the treasure and can use the trophy.

Its less random and feels much more flavorful. "the Troll found a sword, now he is more powerful but if you can kill him, you get the sword. yay team!"

You'll like it. Its much better than the original games treasures. plus the yellow/gold cards look fantastic and really 'pop' compared to the rest of the TS cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.