Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Battle of Red Cliffs» Forums » General

Subject: Why are you excited about this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I know there are some people excited about this game coming out, even though the forums are pretty quiet right now. But why? Exactly what makes The Battles of Red Cliffs worth looking forward to, and worth pledging to via Kickstarter?

(I have my reasons, and will explain them later... but am hoping to hear from others first.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ta-Te Wu
United States
ALHAMBRA
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
I know there are some people excited about this game coming out, even though the forums are pretty quiet right now. But why? Exactly what makes The Battles of Red Cliffs worth looking forward to, and worth pledging to via Kickstarter?

(I have my reasons, and will explain them later... but am hoping to hear from others first.)

Personally, since there is an option for mug, I just can't wait to see it! Very excited!!!

Besides that, if you like classic card games such as rummy, bridge, etc. and Mahjong you are gonna love Red Cliffs because Red Cliffs is much more flexible to play and more ways to win the game.

Mahjong is very random game because little cricket may accidently kick the master's xxxx by accident. On the other hand, Red Cliffs is definitely not ... unless you are a newbie too.

Plus, you have the options to play by yourself or a large group. And for advance players, it is so more fun when playing with Command cards and in teams too.

Overall, Red Cliffs is pretty easy to learn with a little curve to master. It is fun to play with so many different ways to interaction with every one during the game

I am excited about it and hope everyone feels the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure everyone needs another biased opinion but:

1) Tien Zi Que is a wonderfully portable version of Mahjong that my wife and I have enjoyed for years. But we couldn't enjoy it with our kids or large groups. Red Cliffs is allowing for that.

2) Red Cliffs is quite approachable for casual players and card game fans that don't necessarily play hobby games. Yet, there is enough strategy in the game for more serious gamers, too. The Command cards help add an additional level there.

3) The Score Tower works well to encourage clever play. Red Cliffs isn't just about collect sets as fast as you can and going out (running out of cards). Players need to think about the sets they are making and put together the right mix of cards to score sufficiently to get to the next level. Otherwise, they just fall back again. The Score Tower also helps a player who stumbled early catch up since the levels get harder.

4) I'm very fond of the art, particularly the Beauty cards. Red Cliffs just looks great and I can hardly wait for those final cards. I think Ta-Te did a wonderful job putting together the whole production.

5) The solo game is fun! I'm enjoying it more and more. Sure, I prefer to play games with my friends or family but sometimes it's nice to just knock out a game or two solo. Red Cliffs solo works really well and I've enjoyed the challenge. I've only won twice in about fifteen games, though...

Oh, sure - I'm excited to get the game out there and see those gorgeous mugs but mostly I just want to get the final game so we can play with the real cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hmm... I appreciate the posts so far (from the game designers) I'm disappointed there isn't more noise about this possible release.

Well, maybe it's time to talk about why I'm excited for Red Cliffs!

Long-ish Story
Years ago I picked up a simple little game called Tien Zi Que. It was an interesting take on a 2-player Mahjong variant where play during the game is complimented by choice about what type of scoring to pursue each round.

Tien Zi Que ended up quickly becoming a favorite to play with my wife. She loved the game, whether we were playing to a predetermined point total or as a light gambling game.

The only downside to this game were the limitations it provided - most notably, because it was exclusively a two-player game we never really got to enjoy playing with others. Tien Zi Que remained largely "our little secret" since it would rarely be brought out when friends or other family members were around.

So I'm really really excited about The Battle of Red Cliffs because it represents the next step in this game we already love: it adds a few interesting twists to gameplay that we already enjoy while opening up the game for a much larger audience!

TL;DR
* replaces a game that we already love with something slightly more "full bodied" and much more flexible when scaling for different groups
* fast and fun gameplay!
* easy for anyone to learn, but with enough strategy that playing well isn't always obvious
* unique game, but has a familiar feel that appeals to some of my friends and family who have experience playing Mahjong
* love the theme (even if it is loosely applied in some parts) and artwork

Here's hoping the Kickstarter campaign is successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.