Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Ogre» Forums » News

Subject: Ogre Designer's Edition - With Sneak Preview of Vulcan Ogre and Dice - KS Update #48 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised last time: the Vulcan! With its huge grabby arms! There are two of these in the Kickstarter edition of Ogre. The rules will appear online. I expect that there will be a supplement featuring Vulcans, combat engineers, and rules for changing the map in more subtle and controllable ways than "Cruise missile . . . launch!"

Dice! The smaller one at the far right is a regular 16mm Munchkin die for comparison. On the left are big (19mm) shiny acrylic Ogre dice. The box will have a Combine red and a Paneuropean blue. The black and green ones will be available separately. (The red Paneuro and blue Combine die are just what happens when the factory sends a bunch of samples.) And on the right are pyramid, Cthulhu, and Munchkin dice made in the same 19mm size. Prediction: You will eventually be able to buy these.

And here we have the 12 pages of the Scenarios book, laid out on the table to compare one version with the previous one. You can't really appreciate Richard Meaden's beautiful layout, let alone the artwork. It's just a lot of pages on the table. Trust me, though. "A lot of pages on the table" is a long ways from where we were at the end of the Kickstarter, and it's getting closer to "a book at print."

-- Steve Jackson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this will be an unpopular thing to say, BUT...

The more I see the '3d' units and buildings the less I like them. From an 'above the table' viewpoint you are going to see a lot of chipboard edges that are just ugly to me.

The dice look nice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:

The more I see the '3d' units and buildings the less I like them. From an 'above the table' viewpoint you are going to see a lot of chipboard edges that are just ugly to me.

I really have to agree on this one.

I thought the chipboard Ogres were clever at first, but this thing is just not good looking at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the Vulcan, but that goes all the way back to the beginning, has nothing to do with the current model.

I think that in actual play it will look a lot better. Remember, when playing you will be moving around, the units will be changing position, and things won't be so static, like a still picture.

Yeah, those dice look sweet.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im loving the 3D models. Totally unique! Even better, I wont have to worry about painting them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
Im loving the 3D models. Totally unique! Even better, I wont have to worry about painting them!

I'm not sure I buy off on 'totally unique'. Plenty of examples of a similar process used to make a '3D' object from a flat medium, the plasticard ships from a certain pirate game being just one example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the big giant arms thing
but I love the building of the models
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the 'giant grabby arms' has always put me off the Vulcan. This particular model is very nice, and I appreciate the work SJG has put into it, though. Can't wait to see some of the other stuff, especially the Dopp. Don't know why, but I love the look of that thing. Even stooped to playing PE in one game so I could use one, long long ago. Good unit.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:

Hmm, this might be a case of that infamous malady, 'miniaturethritis'?

(Blown-up shots of miniatures don't actually look as good as the real thing, because the blow-ups are so big)

This is the closest I can get to how it'll look at the real size:

The 3D models have a LOT of presence on the table compared to a flat counter -- it's one of the things which really gives Ogre Designer's Edition that immediate, visceral sense of 'a huge robot tank surrounded by smaller stuff' which you otherwise only get with actual miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:

You do realize that on an iPhone, that sucker's about as big as a dime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Talorien wrote:

You do realize that on an iPhone, that sucker's about as big as a dime...

I vaguely remember that the '3D' chip board OGREs were going to be close to the same size as their metal miniature counterparts. If that is an accurate memory and if it still holds true, on my screen, the piture in the opening post is prety darned close to actual size.

And if that is the case, the ugly edges are going to look ugly to me.

This is an opinion not based on just this picture by the way, but is based on all the reelased pictures of both the 3D ogres and buidings that I've seen so far. It is just my opinion, but the more of them I see, the more I realize I really don't like all the edges. The chip board is just too thick proportionally to the objects and the edges to visually distracting in my opinon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
I vaguely remember that the '3D' chip board OGREs were going to be close to the same size as their metal miniature counterparts. If that is an accurate memory and if it still holds true, on my screen, the piture in the opening post is prety darned close to actual size.

Guess it all depends on your screen sizing.

The actual length of the model should be about 3".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
jakecarol wrote:

Guess it all depends on your screen sizing.

The actual length of the model should be about 3".

On my screen the picture in the opening post I was responding to is just over 3 inches, the one you posted is just at 1 inch, so my point remains valid. The edges detract from the 'miniature' for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 3D models, but the forced perspective of the Vulcan's right arm (looks like it is angled forward when it is actually angled back) plays havoc with my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Donato
United States
Middletown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One trick for papercraft models is to use a black Sharpie to cover up the white edges. I am going to try it on the Ogre models and see how it looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ambridge78 wrote:
One trick for papercraft models is to use a black Sharpie to cover up the white edges. I am going to try it on the Ogre models and see how it looks.

I was wondering if e.g. a red Sharpie would work in this case.

Black's a good idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ambridge78 wrote:

I had thought of that but:

1. It is a lot more surface area to cover than similar paper models
2. The top down view would still detract from the 'miniature' in my mind

We'll see. I think it would be a lot of work to do this well (use matching colors in appropriate places vice a single color or black) but it may look good if done right.

I know at least one of the 'extra' counter sheets we can buy includes top down flat OGRE counters. I can't remember if there are more included in the Kickstarter sets but if so, I think they will be my default counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke Taylor
msg tools
With all due respect - does anyone else have a board game in their collection that made them want to color the edges of the counters with a sharpie?

There's a reason that chipboard counters have not taken the board game world by storm. They just don't look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American Elm wrote:
With all due respect - does anyone else have a board game in their collection that made them want to color the edges of the counters with a sharpie?

There's a reason that chipboard counters have not taken the board game world by storm. They just don't look good.

That may be.

The ones in The Stars Are Right were nice enough... and sturdy to boot.

If the 3D counters really do look tacky, I at least have a set of "classic" counters on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, there will be flat counters for a lot of OGREs thanks to one of the sponsor sheets. I don't remember if it's a $3k (included in the box) or a $4.5k (ordered separately like the ones from BGG). I also seem to remember that all the flat counters from that sheet will be 1 hex in size. So you get the Designer's Edition, and aesthetics that please you

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke Taylor
msg tools
The aesthetics that please me?

PLASTIC!

Just imagine a game of Memoir '44 with chipboard tanks . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American Elm wrote:
The aesthetics that please me?

PLASTIC!

Just imagine a game of Memoir '44 with chipboard tanks . . .

I've beaten that dead horse multiple times myself. It ought to be nicely tenderized by now. Interestingly enough, I still feel the urge to put the boot in again every once in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.