Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, looking for some suggestions for 6 players. 2 of the group are new to gaming and have only played games like The Resistance and Werewolves of Millers Hollow.

We are 3 couples, 4 of us are pretty well versed in games. Def a social group so nothing too in depth. I do have our games listed on here, but looking to pick something else up. Most of my favorite games are 2-4 or 5 it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorks, I'd love to help, but I need a little more info about what you're looking for. You mentioned it's a social group. Does that mean you want a game that creates a talk-heavy, social experience? Do you want a Euro game? Do you want a dudes-on-a-map game? How long would you like the game to play? Etc.

The more info you can provide about games you think would work and the types of people/gamers you all are, the better we here in the recommendation forums can help.

I look forward to your response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the other 4 love:

Trajan
Castles of Burgundy
Quarriors
Dominion
Mage Knight (way too heavy for newbies though)
Puerto Rico
Merchant and Mauraders
Gloom

But most of them go to 5 players at the most.

What we hate
Munchin
Killer Bunnies
Flux

Hopefully that helps some. Social interaction is nice but not necessary. I am only a year into gaming, so I still not 100percent on what is a Euro or a Americ (Dice?) Game time should be under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a really social experience, Quelf will do the trick.
Dixit is a cross between Balderdash and Apples to Apples. It's a good game if you like bluffing and being creative with very funky looking cards (funky in a good way).
Scribblish is basically Telephone with pictures, which can be fun as a filler.
Malta is very easy to pick up, but does have some strategy as well. You might not like that it has the elimination mechanic though.

Hope any of these sound like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at house on the hill and incan gold are both excellent and easy to pick up for the non-gamer types

Dixit can be a lot of fun if it is the right group, also easily played by non-gamers

Dragon's goldisn't bad and pretty light (plays up to 6). I picked up the older edition of this for 5$ recently.

Bohnanza, Castle of the devil, pit, saboteur are all possibilities.

If you are feeling particularly silly Eat Poop you cat is fun and free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Power Grid. It's a Euro in Economic Train game clothing; the economic engine behind it is quite simplistic, as are the rules.

1) Auction off power plants,
2) buy resources to fuel those plants,
3) place cities
4) ?????
5) Profit!

It's nearly impossible to go bankrupt or lose money. Even if you power 0 cities, you make a bit of cash. There are also explicit rules to prevent runaway leaders. If someone experienced is handling the fiddliness (which can be easily done by printing off this pdf(all the fiddliness easily laid out for separately for 2/3/4/5/6 players) for reference), the other players shouldn't have much of an issue. I played it with 6 (some casuals) and it was a good social experience with some nice meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you love, I"d say be sure to check out the following games, all of which scale nicely up to 5 players:

Cosmic Encounter
Hansa Teutonica
Founding Fathers
Glen More
Caylus
The Speicherstadt
Carson City

For 6 players:
Cosmic Encounter (+ any 1 expansion)
Chicago Express
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Jamaica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other couple actualy owns Power Grid. I like the game, def an option. (Hate the maintence on it)

We really wanted to avoid "party games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DorksGoneWild wrote:
The other couple actualy owns Power Grid. I like the game, def an option. (Hate the maintence on it)

We really wanted to avoid "party games"

Check out the pdf I linked to. Every fiddly step laid out in an easy to read format per player count. Stuff like how much resources to replenish per round, when rounds change, starting amounts, etc etc. The fiddliness was quick, efficient, mindless automation for me using it from the very first game I played

It's color but I printed it out in B&W and it works perfectly well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do Moshe, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like your group likes medium/medium-heavy Euros. Awesome! That's what I love. If you want something similar, check out these that work with 6 players:

Power Grid - A very popular economic-based Euro. You should definitely check this one out.
Acquire - Classic simplified, stock-market game using tile-placement as the core mechanic.
7 Wonders - A bit light, but it makes for an interesting card game with a pleasant civilization theme.
Citadels - Secret role selection that once the whole group knows the game, there's quite a bit of bluffing and intrigue.
Cosmic Encounter +1 expansion - This is getting a little more theme-y. There's chaos and randomness, but it creates an atmosphere for fickle alliances and backstabbing. Good fun and very social.
Liberte - I've heard it gets brain-burning crazy with 6 players. I don't know; I've never played with that many.

Here are a couple that don't fit within your time frame with 6 players, but I think are worth mentioning:

Eclipse - I think it's overrated, but it might look good to you. It is probably the hottest game on BGG right now (ignoring The Hotness list).
Struggle of Empires - My favorite, epic, dudes-on-a-map, Euro game. Just brilliant. But it's longer than you want.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

[edit]

Ninja'd on PG and CE.

+1 Chicago Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is Chicago Express good with 6? I hear it's too random

Btw, here is the best description I ever read for Ameritrash/Euro/Wargame

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/18/cardboard-childre...

Quote:
TELL ME ABOUT THE SCENE

It’s easy to get yourself across the whole board game thing. There are two board games in board gaming. One of them is called Monopoly and the other one is called Cluedo. Oh, and there’s that other one, Risk. No, actually, that one’s too hard. Too long. Forget that one. There’s Monopoly and Cluedo. Stick them in the cupboard and lose all the bits and forget about them.

You would think so, wouldn’t you? The reason why most people hate the thought of playing a board game is because they’ve had some terrible experiences with them. They’ve played Monopoly using the wrong rules, probably. They’ve distractedly watched the telly while taking a couldn’t-give-a-fuck guess at which bit of plastic committed a murder in Cluedo. And, God help them, they’ve spent five hours lost in that nightmarish world of boredom and Lovecraftian, maddening frustration I like to call “Fucking Risk”. I should tell you right up front how I feel about that Holy Trinity Of The Thoughtless Christmas Gift. I love Monopoly. I dislike Cluedo. And I detest Fucking Risk. We’ll talk about Fucking Risk again further down the line, because it’s a fascinating tale of a million attempts at fixing a terrible game. And of how some of the attempts worked.

Let’s talk about what’s actually out there, by using some of the stupid generalisations that exist. Let’s talk Eurogames, Ameritrash and Wargames.

The games we call Eurogames usually have very little luck, and very little direct player interaction. Eurogamers react to dice like Damien reacts to that chapel visit in The Omen. These are games that will have you setting up efficient little economic or military engines on your table, like a right little Nazi. These are games that usually won’t allow any players to be eliminated, because BOO-HOO THAT’S NOT FAIR. These games will be gentle with you. Reiner Knizia is one of the best-known designers of this type of game. His games are often maths-based, and often shite. The Eurogame style is often pushed as the be-all and end-all of quality gaming. Ticket to Ride is a game that is known as a “gateway game” to other games. Yes. Other Eurogames, maybe. But building a fucking train track hardly prepares you for spewing bullets at an Ork. Eurogames are also commonly about farmers, camels, bits of fruit, planks of wood, koala bears and slaves. None of which are very easy to get passionate about. It often doesn’t matter what a Eurogame is about, though, because very rarely does a Eurogame’s mechanic express a game’s theme well. (Dr Knizia, please stand up.) Eurogames are the board games you can play in polite company, over a bowl of wine and cheese flavour Monster Munch. There are, however, some spectacularly brilliant games in the Eurogame style. And the definition itself is ridiculous anyway, so ignore everything I said.

Then we have Ameritrash. In typical American fashion, many of the greatest Ameritrash games are British in origin, but they call them “Ameritrash” anyway. Ameritrash games are all about theme, and player interaction, and lashings of delicious luck. Almost all of the great games you played as a young boy or girl will have been Ameritrash. Heroquest? Yes. Space Hulk? Yes. Thunder Road? Yes. If you’ve ever rolled a dice to hit the guy sitting to your left with a poisoned lance, causing him to storm out of the door and march back to his mum’s house with tears in his eyes, you’ve played some prime Ameritrash. Ameritrash games are looked down on by many Eurogamers, because it’s all just luck and stupid goblins and chain guns and toys and for God’s sake grow up and help me increase the workrate of these slaves in my plum orchard. Just so you know where I stand, I’m an Ameritrash man at heart. And I actually like the word “Ameritrash”. It’s full of tackiness and self-deprecation and humour, and it fits just fine. But it’s a ridiculous definition, so ignore everything I said.

Then we have Wargames. Played by grim-faced men in darkened basements. Millions of poorly illustrated counters laid across boards the size of a squash court. Games that take three months to play to completion. Games steeped in accurate historical representations of some of the most horrible times in mankind’s existence. Wargamers look on as Eurogamers and Ameritrashers squabble about “games”, and smirk at the folly of it all. Then, they turn up the collars of their coats, and walk into the wind, head bowed, fists clenched. The weight of the world on their shoulders. Fading into the distance. One look back. A smile at us. A nod. “Leave this to me.” A tear? Maybe just a trick of the light. And then gone, never to be seen again.

This is all rubbish, of course. But it’s kinda sorta the scene. You need to know the scene, the battle lines, if you want to be part of this whole mess. This whole expensive mess. And where we are right now is that Eurogames were running the show for a while there, but Ameritrash games are having a bit of a resurgence. And Wargames are still in the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Is Chicago Express good with 6? I hear it's too random

Works great with 6 players, runs quickly, and it's not really random at all, not sure why you would think so. My experience with this is that beginners enjoy this game since it plays fast with little downtime. As a bonus the strategies differ with every game based on the stock allocation from auctions. If you can't tell, I think this a great game.

You could also check out Antike, a rondel based game. I've only played it once (and a 6 player game at that). It goes fast, and I don't remember it being hard to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I've had my eye on CE and it looks great for a quick economic fix. However: 65.8% of the voters do not recommend it with 6 and this thread also advises against it: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/410230/of-players-advice-nee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

hi...we also game with 6 a lot (3 couples), and i would suggest:

- Dracon (it may seem/sound a little silly, but it's a blast! we play with family/friends from 7 years old to 77, and they all have enjoyed it)

- Age of Empires w/expansion is a great game with 4-6; not too easy and not too hard, and gets requested a lot

- and Longshot (horse racing/betting) and Top Race (auto racing, 4 races on 4 diff boards/tracks) are also AA+

have fun!

DorksGoneWild wrote:
Hello, looking for some suggestions for 6 players. 2 of the group are new to gaming and have only played games like The Resistance and Werewolves of Millers Hollow.

We are 3 couples, 4 of us are pretty well versed in games. Def a social group so nothing too in depth. I do have our games listed on here, but looking to pick something else up. Most of my favorite games are 2-4 or 5 it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions, doing a bunch of research

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Show Manager

Long Shot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery with Empires: Builder Expansion plays up to 6 and is playable in less than 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Seven Sisters can be played with 3-6 players, and only takes 60-75 minutes. It can be very strategic for a quick game, and uses hand-management and worker-placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I've had my eye on CE and it looks great for a quick economic fix. However: 65.8% of the voters do not recommend it with 6 and this thread also advises against it: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/410230/of-players-advice-nee...

I would suggest that having 5 or 6 players makes this more interesting if you like games that force interaction, and less less interesting if you like games where you can build things without much interaction. This is my view of why you get comments like you reference. This doesn't make them wrong, it's just understanding the bias and if you fit in the bias or not.

I'm happy to take this offline, not trying to derail (pun intended) any of the original posters question.

I'll also add a +1 to Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, I have NOT played this with 6, only 5, but it works well also. May take a little longer for new players to catch on, and will run you 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Mintkawetz
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longshot is a good game for a bigger group. Wits and Wagers is good fun too. Things in a box is a favourite at our couples games nights also.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 Wonders. Looks intimidating to casual gamers at first, but they usually get it after the first play and say "Ok, now I got it, let's try it again!"

How about BANG!? It's pretty light and short; might feel a bit too similar to Munchkin.

Also, RoboRally can be extremely fun. It offers lots of interesting modes like 3 vs 3, 2 vs 2 vs 2 or Capture the Flag in addition to the standard gameplay. Not too complicated, can be pretty chaotic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend Jet Set and Scotland Yard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorks GoneWild
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these forums with all the great suggestions

watched a bunch of videos last night of some of the games mentioned. Now I need to win the lottery to buy all of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Bohnanza
+1 The Castle of the Devil
(+1) 7 Wonders - Pretty intimidating at first. It also suffers in unbalanced groups (weak players "help" neighbors). If you feel you can play it regularly or if you are comfortable with getting it only for the 4 "pros" ok - otherwise I'd personally skip this one.

Dog - If you're regularly exactly 4 or 6 people then this is a great, reasonably light but interesting Pachisi variant with teams. One of our favorite games back home.
Wizard - A light trick taking game with some twists
Get Bit! - A short bluffing game.
The Great Dalmuti - A light climbing game.
Pickomino - A light, slightly silly, push your luck dice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.