Subject: Lineage, a competitive card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, this game is currently more of a flutter of an idea, but I think it is one of my better ones.

Each player assumes control of an unnamed "God"

Before the game begins that player selects a Mother and Father from a large pool of God cards. IE a player's parents are Frigg and Poseidon and another player's parents are Anubis and Demeter.

The two Parent Gods remain face-up on your side of the game area, and provide bonuses, traits, skills, and access to schools of Magic and classifications of Relics.

Players then select 3 "Trial" cards from a large pool, these become the "goal" for the other player's "Hero" cards to overcome to defeat you. One trial should be a difficulty of 1, one should be a difficulty of 2, and the last should be 3. Flip the 2&3 face-down until an opponents' Hero defeats your level 1 Trial.

Players draw from a deck of cards composed of
-Heroes
-Relics
-Magic
-Areas
-Mythical Creatures & Traps
(of various classifications)

Heroes are used to defeat an opposing God's trials.

Relics are given by the Gods to their Heroes to aid them in their task.

Magic is used by the Gods to directly interact with the physical realm, either to aid their own Hero and efforts or hinder those of their opponent(s).

Area cards are cards that represent locations like "Alexandria" or "Minoa" etc. These cards have 2 values, an Exhaust value and an Expend value. Their population value is a numerical value from 1-4. When you exhaust it, you gain Power equal to your exhausted Population value.

Power is what Gods use to give Relics, cast Magic and deploy magical Creatures. A population that has been exhausted is unusable until it refreshes at the beginning of your turn. To exhaust a card turn it sideways.

Expending a population gives you Power (by Population Value) as well as an added effect as shown on the card. When you expend a card, it is turned sideways AND flipped over, on your next turn it is flipped over and considered "exhausted".

Mythical Beasts and Traps
These are cards that you deploy into your Trials to make them more difficult for the opponents' Heroes to overcome. IE the Minotaur, a Total Blackness trap etc.

To win, you must use your Hero(s) to progress through opposing Gods' trials and overcome them. Once a God's third Trial is defeated the God is beaten.

Now all that remains is deciding how the game will actually PLAY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, and it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
So I've been thinking about this one quite a lot lately, and I have an idea for a mechanic that I'm not sure has ever been used in a CCG (competitive card game).

It basically involves drawing a hand of 7 cards and playing one or two of them by exhausting your Cities (almost like mana) and discard that many cards.

IE your hand has 7 cards in it, one of them has a cost of 3.

You exhaust your City worth 1, and your City worth 2 and discard 3 of the cards in your hand to activate that card.

Now you have 3 cards in your hand, and 3 in the discard.

You have another city worth 3.

In your hand you have a card worth 2, so you tap your city worth 3 and discard 2 cards and play it.

At the end of your turn you discard any leftover cards, and you draw 7 more cards.

Player's decks would be small, on the order of 21 or 28 cards. Each time a player had discarded all his cards in his deck, he would reshuffle and re-form his deck out of his discard.

Also, here's the more refined version of the game.

Each player begins the game with 3 face up cities worth 1, 2, and 3, or 2, 2, and 2.

They also select a Mother God and Father God to be their parents, placing them on either side of the cities.

Also, select 3 Trials, of difficulties 1, 2 and 3.

A player's deck has Heroes and Intervention.

Some heroes have restrictions on what city they can "be from". So heroes can only come from certain cities, some heroes only from certain pantheons (greek, norse, etc.)

Intervention is everything the god does to influence the game. Whether it be Artifacts to give to the hero, Blessings, Wrath upon the enemies heroes and cities, or even monsters and traps put into your trials to make them even tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a player acquire additional Cities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
no, the idea is that you'll never need more than the cities you control

cities will also allow certain artifacts or heroes to be played

for instance Perseus must come from a greek city with a size of 3, whereas other heroes would have similar/less restrictions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
no, the idea is that you'll never need more than the cities you control

cities will also allow certain artifacts or heroes to be played

for instance Perseus must come from a greek city with a size of 3, whereas other heroes would have similar/less restrictions

But... what if I want more Cities? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
You wouldn't need them, and it would break the game ):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
You wouldn't need them, and it would break the game ):

Ah, I'm just joshing you.

So what is the ultimate goal of the game? How do these Trials work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
As young, eager-to-prove-themself gods you are trying to conquer opposing gods. Killing a god is never as easy as simply stabbing them in the back though, so you must raise heroes in your cities to conquer the opponent's trials to win the game.

To be honest, this is so early in development I'm not exactly sure how the trials will work yet. The biggest question I'm looking at answering right now is if they should be "one off" as in you once you are powerful enough you "Beat it", or if it something you make gradual progress on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your idea of how to use your cities and discarding cards as "mana". But why wouldn't the example player tap his city worth 3 for the 3-cost card and then tap his city worth 2 for the 2-cost card? Oh wait, now I see, because some heroes can only "come from" a certain city, right? Okay, that's cool. Two games I think you should look at are The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game and how they use "mana". It's quite interesting, and a little along the lines of what you're thinking. Here's another idea: tapping cities and discarding cards can be interchangeable "mana currency". If a card costs 5 mana, you can tap your city worth 3 and discard two cards. Maybe tapping a city to summon a hero gives it extra abilities or strength, etc.

With the players each representing a God, it could be cool if they got stronger by playing "prayer" or "praise" cards that "come from their Heroes. Like their requirements were: if you have Thor and Hercules on the table you can play this Prayer card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.