Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm a fan of Cooperative games and this one has piqued my interest, but I have no idea how the game actually plays and if it plays well. Supposedly there is a prototype copy available for play at the WBC. Can anyone who's played it reveal a bit more about gameplay and if it is FUN? Thanks!

I'm also a pretty good tipper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play it at WBC and it is now my most anticipated game.

First of all you should know that I'm odd in the fact that I love co-op games, but usually only as opportunities to have a solo gaming experience. I've just had too many co-op sessions where either one player dictates everything, or, even more annoying to me, people aren't paying attention, playing on their phones, etc., and when it comes to their turn they want to just be told what to do. So now I usually just look forward to getting good co-op games that allow for solo play.

But based on my one play with the designer, I think this game may excel as both a solo and co-op experience.

At it's heart it's a set collection game. You are working with the other players to collect quantities of specific cards (colors which represent various Navy Seal skills or strengths) to overcome the goals of the current operation. Multiple operations lead up to the final main scenario event card. There is a timing element that only allows you a certain number of draws. The main aspect that I thought made it a good co-op game, and goes a good distance toward solving the perpetual "boss" problem of most co-ops is that one player is chosen as the leader (or Lieutenant I think), and hand information is only shared when he chooses to do a "role call". When this happens, each player chooses a color from their hand (or even one they don't have any cards of) and states how many of this color they can contribute toward completing the operation. The key is they must state the max amount they contribute, including wild cards and other special cards. Well, the wild cards can also count toward other colors, but they must be included in the role call. So you get an idea of what other players have, but you have to be careful in sharing information also because it can easily be misleading. Think Hanabi (if you've ever played that) in that only small pieces of information are shared at a time and you have to piece together what your fellow players may have.

Once the timer runs down (the number of draws you get), or before if the Lieutenant thinks you can handle it, you can try to complete the current operation by first facing a number of event cards that scales up with every operation. These can cause you to discard cards, lose health, or make certain skill checks by drawing 3 cards from the deck looking for a specific color. Hopefully you can make it through the events and still have enough of the specified cards to complete the goals of the operation. And eventually you have to keep an eye on the end goal of the entire scenario because you must be ready to face it immediately upon completing the final operation.

I played with the designer, Mike Fitzgerald, and it was a very fun co-op experience. It really felt like we were working together toward the goals. There was a great amount of tension at certain points. Even when we felt like the end game was going to be a breeze based on what we had in our hands, a couple of unexpected events tripped us up and wound up costing us the game. But it made me appreciate the game's challenge.

Each of the 5 scenarios (I think the game comes with 5) requires a certain number of operations, a different end goal, a specific scenario event that may pop up at different times, and possibly other twists. Mike was playing one of the scenarios solo when I walked up that included him trying to rescue someone behind enemy lines. I think this was simulated by shuffling a captured soldier into the deck and waiting for it to surface before you faced the final event card. So it seems like there is good variability among the different scenarios.

He also said the solo game was designed first, and I know I will appreciate that. I would have bought it from him on the spot if I could have, but it's not out until November. Also the solo game scales down so you don't have to play multiple hands like some co-op games. I can't wait to buy it to play solo, but I also think this may be the co-op that I finally actually enjoy playing with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Winterfella wrote:

First of all you should know that I'm odd in the fact that I love co-op games, but usually only as opportunities to have a solo gaming experience.

You're such a nerd, Jim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Neuschwander
United States
Hummelstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briskwinterspiss wrote:

You're such a nerd, Jim.

You say that as if it's something I'm unaware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alfred smith
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I am not a fan of Cooperative games, but I played this at WBC and really enjoyed it. I have told my friends, you know it must be a good game if it is a coop game and I enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play it, only read the rulebook.
After that, I was very disappointed. Mechanically, it seems more or less to be just collecting cards of different colours, with a little mechanic that creates some uncertainty about what exactly will be needed during the mission and another mechanism limiting the time available.
Apart from the description of the scenarios, I found really NO relation to the topic of the game, so I consider it to be thematically rather weak.
So I rated it down from "would really like to play" to "might give it a detailled look if it is recommended by quite some other gamers...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Michael, it may not be your kind of game. What I tried to do is capture the feel of a Navy Seal Team in preparation for a mission and how it never works out the way you plan. I was going for a general gaming audience so the theme details are abstracted. I do think the game is fun and plays better than you might think from the rule book. The different mechanics you mention do fit well together to add tension.
In the end it is abstract in theme with equipment and missions that are real added for feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, I do not doubt that the game might be fun (you never can say that after only reading the rules). Having played DVG's Hornet Leader and Thunderbolt Apache Leader extensively during the last weeks, I hoped for another game that is as much fun, that is also playable solitaire and being very thematically. Of course a game always has to abstract from reality, but I found Hooyah! to be too much abstracted, and that's why I feel disappointed.
But maybe we'll meet in Essen and I'll be able to have a closer look and maybe there's time for a short talk ;-) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it now.
Basically it's just card collecting and less thematic than I initially hoped it would be, but it was fun playing. Not the stuff my hardcore-fellow-gamers like, but as well solitaire as with some of my neighbours we had quite some fun.
Up to now, we had no problem finishing the missions successfully, but we didn't yet advance to the most difficult ones. And if two or three bad checks had happened - who knows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.