Popular Tags: [View All]
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom recently approached me and requested any ideas for games she could play by herself when she needed to fill a little time.

A little background:
My mom played many generic board games with me as I grew up in the 80s and 90s. She humored me quite a bit back then, but we still play games often when we come to visit. My mom loved Scrabble for many years, and played this solo for decades. As she's retired from most everything now, she's gotten bored with Scrabble.

Multi-player games she enjoys:
Almost any word games--Quiddler, Bananagrams she likes.
Ticket to Ride
Thebes We introduced her to this last night, and though it took some explaining, she enjoyed it, and I think she'll come to like this one a lot.
She'll try almost anything once.

Solo Games I've thought of she might like
Friday. How's the complexity?

Recommendation Requirements:
1) Can play in about an hour tops
2) Not too complicated. Thebes and Ticket to Ride are about right.
3) No dungeons/scifi/fantasy themes. Killing and blowing things up is not her style.

Thanks for any ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. might I suggest Agricola.

The "family game" version plays about the same weight as those in your sample. If she gets bored with it, she will have the parts to boost it up in difficulty.

It plays very well one play and the theme might just be right up her alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she likes word games, you might consider BuyWord. It's a very nice Sid Sackson design and comes with a solitaire variant.

Friday is supposed to be top-notch (I haven't played my copy yet), and it's not terribly complex. But be sure to download the plain-English rules from its BGG page. The rules that come in the box are pretty hard to follow.

Onirim is also supposed to be good.

For many more ideas, check out this GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale with this variant:

For $olitaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread's title. You would def have to learn it and teach it to her given her limited background in "newer" games.

Excellent game though. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of TtR solo variants worth suggesting: An attempt at a solo game & SoloPlay Variant Available for TtR and TtR Europe

Or maybe something like At the Gates of Loyang, or Forbidden Island if the themes are to her liking meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Johnson
United States
Fortville
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It's a light civilization building game with dice rolling like Yahtzee. You play a number of rounds and then count up your score at the end. Replayability comes from attempting to beat your previous scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies thus far. Lots of good ideas to look into. I had never heard of Buyword until now. Much to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Urbion is a good solo player card game ... it is the successor to Onirim by the same author.

Also ... I love to play the ios version of scrabble on the ipad. If she has access to an ipad download the app "W.E.L.D.E.R" ... a very innovative word game that is quite fun where you have so many moves to create words in different directions to create cascades of words and score enough points to earn more moves.It is wildly addicting and enjoyable for an ex-scrabble player. I am sure your Mother would get into this game. I play very few app games on the ipad but this is one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday. An awesome solo game!

For something on the lighter side, I would recommand Mage Knight's solo campaign whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Friday and Onirim

You might want to look at Bananagrams - it can be played solo.

Oceania is a light tile-laying game that is for 1 or 2. Very easy to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
Hmmmm. might I suggest Agricola.

The "family game" version plays about the same weight as those in your sample. If she gets bored with it, she will have the parts to boost it up in difficulty.

It plays very well one play and the theme might just be right up her alley.

In a similar vein I would recommend Le Havre.
There is a specifically designed 1 player game, and playing a long game with special buildings gives heaps of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camidon wrote:
Thanks for the replies thus far. Lots of good ideas to look into. I had never heard of Buyword until now. Much to consider.

A lot of Sackson games have solitaire variants - Bazaar does as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would definitely suggest Onirim. It's quick, not too complicated, doesn't take up too much space and has a slightly addictive quality. The art is also great. Pretty cheep too and very portable.

The only downside is the constant shuffling but that is easy to bypass by having some colored markers like glass bead of the same colors as the doors. Just whenever you get a door by the main process of laying 3 cards of the same color, place one of the tokens to keep as the door instead of searching the deck and re-shuffling. Then when you encounter a door of that color, just replace the marker with the actual card. This is what I do and it works pretty well.

Not totally sure if it fits the requirements, but Red November is pretty good solo and is about gnomes on a submarine who are trying to fix problems. There is no combat involved but there is vodka.

Haven't gotten to try Urbion yet, but It is probably a good bet if she tries Onirim and likes it.

Also (shameless plug), if she likes traditional card game solitaire that's a bit different (plus poker) I recently created Royal Haunts for the solitaire pnp contest: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/829186/royal-haunts-2012-sol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since she likes Bananagrams, look at the books for it. Over 500 puzzles in each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Le Havre - feels rewarding when the game ended. Takes about an hour.
+1 Roll Through the Ages

- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the suggestions. There's definitely a few things that I think would work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.