Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing GMT's Flying Colors and enjoying it immensely (mostly due to how well it handles fleet level action). I just ordered the two expansions which include scenarios during the American Revolutionary war and the rise of the American Navy.

I'm interested in pimping the game out with miniatures. I don't mind doing some painting but I'm not a hardcore historical miniatures wargamer. I'm not interested in working with a larger scale, assembly of white metal models, rigging. I'm looking for the best, all in one, out of the box solution while still providing a miniatures experience. Basically, the ships don't have to be historically accurate, but close would be nice. My focus is on building large fleets quickly, and relatively easily.

I found Forged in Battle's English and Franco/Spanish 1/3000 scale fleet sets online (LINK: http://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?cPath=21). These are the perfect solution for using with the base game (as I want to upgrade from counters but not be so hardcore that I have to do rigging on the models of a larger scale) is probably the quickest route to playing Trafalgar with miniatures. My question is if I buy an additional fleet set from Forged in Battle, which is closest to representing American Revolution (and privateer) ships of the line with mere paint jobs? This should include ships found in the scenarios in Serpents of the Seas. I understand that some companies offer 1/3000 American ships on an individual basis but I'd rather just modify one (or both) of these sets.

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure there is a reasonable answer within the parameters of the question. The American navy is almost entirely frigates, some quite large frigates, but the Great Lakes scenarios are generally much smaller vessels, Gunboats, galleys and converted merchants.

So the large frigates from the Franco-Spanish fleet would work for the Constitution, President and so forth, but I see nothing for the small vessels. The main naval protagonist of the British in the American War of Independence was the French (Chesapeake, Saints etc.) which will match what is in the Trafalgar pack.

FWIW, I think it would be far cheaper to buy a few small ships (Schooners, Ketchs and Cutters) from NavWar http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/default.asp?MMID=64 to round out the FiB sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
not sure there is a reasonable answer within the parameters of the question. The American navy is almost entirely frigates, some quite large frigates, but the Great Lakes scenarios are generally much smaller vessels, Gunboats, galleys and converted merchants.

So the large frigates from the Franco-Spanish fleet would work for the Constitution, President and so forth, but I see nothing for the small vessels. The main naval protagonist of the British in the American War of Independence was the French (Chesapeake, Saints etc.) which will match what is in the Trafalgar pack.

FWIW, I think it would be far cheaper to buy a few small ships (Schooners, Ketchs and Cutters) from NavWar http://www.navwar.co.uk/nav/default.asp?MMID=64 to round out the FiB sets.

Perfect. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.