Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone wants it but no one has said if it's any good. I doubt it's bad, but I'm just curious if it's worth 8 bucks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Mostly I've heard pretty negative things about it, but I'm sure lots like it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tech tile is pretty good and is regularly included.

As for the planet tiles, they present a pretty interesting gamble if they come out early. They are really good, but as the game goes on, there is more and more chance they will explode. However, because of how they work, I would not advise playing with the tech aliens and the planet tiles together. Also if someone gets both early on say round 1, they will have a huge leg up so there is some brokenness there, but there are ways to minimize this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Everyone wants it but no one has said if it's any good. I doubt it's bad, but I'm just curious if it's worth 8 bucks?

A lot of people chimed in in this thread.

Many more have spoken up in their rating comments; those are worth a look.

I decided to pick it up because I love the base game so much that I've decided I wanted to be a completist and feared regretting not purchasing it when I had the chance. It might be fun every now and then for a little variety, its limitations understood. Whether or not it's worth $7.50 to you is a more personal decision, going in with eyes open to all of the comments mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Discovery is decent, but the Supernova is definitely a promo for a reason. It's a bit gimmicky imo, and I find that it's very easy to forget about (you are supposed to roll at the end of every round to see if it explodes). For $7.50 though, I'd still buy it if I were in your situation....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to do it all over again, I'd still purchase it for the ion missiles tech.

Played with the supernova tiles twice, once in 2 player, and once in 7 player. The economy boost was pretty huge. Since hydrans had it in the 2 player game, it actually did not explode since research was kept very high. They are interesting tiles to shake things up, but I'm not sure I'd play with them on a regular basis. The ion missiles, on the other hand, are something I would never think to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't you do something like: Take 2 hexes per player out of the ring 3 pile; shuffle the 2 Supernova tiles into the remaining pile; shuffle and place the 2xplayers tiles on top.

Wha'la. Supernova tiles are still in there, but won't come out till the 2nd turn, and that's if your really lucky. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Why can't you do something like: Take 2 hexes per player out of the ring 3 pile; shuffle the 2 Supernova tiles into the remaining pile; shuffle and place the 2xplayers tiles on top.

Wha'la. Supernova tiles are still in there, but won't come out till the 2nd turn, and that's if your really lucky. . .

I don't know that it really "solves" anything, at least not with the (albeit) minor issues I have with the tile. I think the Supernova is akin to the Fairy Deck in Agricola (although not as large of a change) in that it is nice to throw in every once in awhile just to mix things up, but I don't think I'll necessarily be playing with it every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of ok-ish with a few experiences on vassel. i consider discovering involving lots of luck especially for the first few draws. i take it as part of the game so i am fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Haven't played with the supernova hexes in a long time. Hydran breaks them. Even barring that, they still introduce too much luck. They're fun to mess around with, but I find them generally contrary to a balanced game of Eclipse.

Ion Missile is great though, and the nova hexes are still fun to play with casually. Certainly worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The missile technology is a permanent addon to our research pool.

We have not used the hex tiles yet, but they seem to be fun if included in a session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They're fun - bit too powerful if they come out early, but we like playing with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a group that doesn't mind some additional flavor at the expense of more randomness, they're a fun tweak.

I just played twice - both times the hexes went Nova early and put the player counting on them in a bind. The most recent game had both of them show up, and both exploded on the same round! Even though I was one of the hex owners, I thought it was pretty funny.

And I even made it work to my advantage by making sure to have one III hex beyond the nova hex, so when it exploded I had a pretty safe zone I could expand into where no one else could reach. Add Orbitals and Monoliths and watch the victory points pile up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the supernova tiles every game and love them! We've only had the tech come out once so far but I don't see ever removing either tech or tiles from the game at all. Love it love it love it.

Only have a supernova explode once so far and that was on the last turn so no major problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have the supernovas mixed up with other sector 3 tiles. Since there's always at least 2 tiles that are not used, you never know if they're going to come out or not. Granted, they do add swinginess to the game but I prefer variety even if it does increase the luck element a bit. So, thumbs up from me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhael Weitzel
United States
Huntsvile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game with Supernova expansion. Both sector tiles came out in turn 1 and both blew up on turn 4. Wife and son each drew one, enjoyed them while they lasted and were disappointed, but OK when they blew up. Wife's had routes around it, and son's blocked him off from a sector with an ancient ship in it. Didn't seem to change the game play overly much. We will keep using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.