Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking for a new game to play and we were really interested in Dominion. My question is... Would it be better to buy Dominion and expansions if we like it or start with an intro pack of MTG (or duel decks) and work our way from there?

Alternatively, do you guys have any other recommendations for us?

Thanks and have a nice day !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend M:TG these days.

Here's the primary card games I would look at.

Dominion. It's the granddaddy of deck builders and has huge replay value. Can be found online.
Android: Netrunner. It is coming out and is a re-implementing one of the modern classic card games.
Summoner Wars: Master Set. 16 factions gives tons of replay value. Out on iOS devices.
Race for the Galaxy. It has a number of expansions, but the first one is one of the few I would honestly look at. The game is icon heavy so there is a learning curve there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You found the right games. Magic and Dominion are probably my two all-time favourites.

It depends a bit on what you are looking for. Magic is a lot more confrontational than Dominion because you directly fight your opponent. While Dominion does have attack cards, there is nothing like stealing or destroying your opponent's cards.

A bit of a rundown for both:

Magic:
- pretty complex, requires a lot of time to really get into the finer rules details and strategies
- has direct conflict
- absolutely NEEDS lots of cards; just one Intro Deck for each player won't give you a lot of replayability
- can be dangerous to your wallet depending on how greedy you get for new cards
- very deep strategically, but as said, will require lots of time and cards to really get there
- extremely high variety
- fantasy theme of medium strength
- will never truly feel "complete" as there is no way you will ever aquire nearly all of the cards available

Dominion:
- simple rules-wise, also appeals to casual gamers and non-gamers
- no direct conflict (some people complain about it being "multi-player solitaire")
- gets better with expansions, but has plenty of replay value in the base game
- ultimately less variety than Magic, but is a lot cheaper and offers a lot of strategic depth as well
- medieval theme that feels tacked on
- offers a "complete" game on the basic box

Maybe this can help you make a decision.
If you are leaning more towards Magic, but have no experience with the genre of customizable card games yet, I'd like to point you towards Warhammer: Invasion. The game is very similar to Magic, but is a lot easier to get into in my opinion. The Core Set will also feel more complete than some Duel Decks of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Matt!

1. Why do you not recommend MTG these days?

2. My girlfriend quickly discarded RftG due to her not liking the theme.

3. Here are my concerns on other card games than MTG:

I'm not sure that there's a lot of people in our region (Montreal) so much interested in other games than CCGs (MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, WoW etc.). Will we be stuck playing each other all the time if we buy any of those other games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Liang
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the "wouldn't recommend MTG". Even with all the years I've had of playing MTG and enjoying it...

Anyway, if you like deck building games, Dominion is of course a strong choice. I would recommend picking up Intrigue and Seaside as well. (Intrigue is a standalone expansion, but I prefer mixing it with base Dominion.) While there are tons more expansions, I feel that those 3 sets (which are also the first 3 in the Dominion series) work very well together and provide a good feel for the Dominion games.

I also enjoy Ascension and Quarriors, both of which I prefer if there are only 2 people playing. Dominion gets a bit dry, and especially with 2 players, it can be easy to get into "monkey see, monkey do" where the ultimate winner is the person with luckier card draw. With Ascension, what each player does actually affects the game board itself, and Quarriors is a dice game, so built in randomization. Ascension has an iOS port as well. Chronicle of the Godslayer is the base set, but Storm of Souls is a great standalone expansion. Return of the Fallen is an expansion that works well with either.

Race for the Galaxy isn't a deck building game, but it is a great card-based game. All of the expansions are fun as well (I personally don't play with the optional takeover rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
@Trantor42

Great post, lots of valid points, it will help my decision tremendously! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Liang
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyda wrote:

I'm not sure that there's a lot of people in our region (Montreal) so much interested in other games than CCGs (MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, WoW etc.). Will we be stuck playing each other all the time if we buy any of those other games?

1. Not sure we want to get into this discussion. The quick and dirty is that with 1 core set release and 3 expansions per year, it gets expensive if you want to stay current. Also, I feel that the recent releases haven't been good enough to warrant money spent.

2. That's unfortunate, but yeah, understandable. My girlfriend doesn't do "strategy".

3. I am almost positive that there is a pretty large board gaming scene in Montreal. But yeah, look at my previous reply about 2 player deck building board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Nyda.

For what it's worth, I disagree that Magic isn't worth it anymore. The quality of recent sets (well, all sets) is very much subjective. Yeah, I liked it better in 2005-2006, too, especially the tournament scene, but I still like the game very much today. I don't mean to start a discussion, I merely want to point out that there is no general opinion on the current state of the game in the Magic community.

I'd like to comment on Summoner Wars since it was mentioned. That game is great, too, it's like a cross between Chess and Magic. It's super-simple rules-wise and has quite some depth to it. Definitely check it out.

As for Dominion, there are a lot of games that imitate its concept, like Thunderstone, Ascension or Nightfall, but I think none of them come close to the original. I like Ascension best of all those clones, but the other ones always felt very meh to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pace
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hey! I'd be happy to send you a few sample cards for Raiding Parties http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99286/raiding-partiesa fun, quick head to head game with strategy, luck and amazing pirate art by the guy who did the Captain Morgan logo. Just shoot me a message if interested, thanks!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/136088207/raiding-partie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who replied, we will look more closely into Dominion, Summoner Wars and the other card building games you guys have suggested.

I agree that Magic would be way more expensive especially since we both have to build our own decks (as opposed to splitting money on a board game) and that it would be hard to catch up to the masses. On another note, is the online game (Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013) available on steam worth it? For 10$ we could play vs. other people online and even in local?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Liang
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyda wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied, we will look more closely into Dominion, Summoner Wars and the other card building games you guys have suggested.

I agree that Magic would be way more expensive especially since we both have to build our own decks (as opposed to splitting money on a board game) and that it would be hard to catch up to the masses. On another note, is the online game (Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013) available on steam worth it? For 10$ we could play vs. other people online and even in local?

I have had a decent amount of fun playing the Duels of the Planeswalkers series. If anything, they are a good introduction to the actual game. I haven't tried out 2013 yet, but from what I've read from reviews, it improves on previous ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Duel of the Planeswalkers myself, but from what I know, it's basically only you against the AI. There is no building decks in it - you just start with a deck and can unlock certain cards that then improve your deck. Also, it offers some other modes like a complex puzzle that needs to be solved ("survive this attack and then win the next turn!"). Several magic players seem to like it, but don't expect it to be the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyda wrote:

1. It's a money sink. Sure, you can fight off the urge, but it's not a game built on balance and dynamic gameplay with little investment. Magic and other CCGs are built on the idea that you buy more and more.

3. Dominion is incredibly easy to teach in terms of mechanics. There is a learning curve due to the lack of theme and the sheer variance the number of cards offer. Repeated plays get past that. Dominion is actually a good kind of detox card game from CCGs. You might actually find people really liking it since everybody starts with the same hand and then the ones who build their decks the best win out.

Netrunner. If there is an issue, it's really built to be played with two players. The advantage here is that one of you could aid a new player learning to play it.

Summoner Wars. Also deemed primarily a two player game but a second board can be had to play four player. The mechanics are near Dominion easy to learn. I refuse to believe people who really like games like M:TG will somehow not like SW so getting others interested shouldn't be hard. Plus, the board aspect should raise eyebrows and wondering what you are playing.

The typical decks for the colors in M:TG are a green creature deck, the undead/raise dead do damage to ourselves for a bigger benefit black deck, red damage deck, blue control deck, and a white angelic healing deck. Yep, those are in SW and there are 11 others including the two more dynamic decks being the "Vine Wall" deck and the Filth who mutate.

All faction decks are ready to go and balanced as well as 16 factions can be. If a person wants to tweak their deck, reinforcement packs are there. The eventual Second Summoners are going to further add variety. Unlike M:TG, one can buy a faction deck to play along and be perfectly OK even against a seasoned veteran who has everything. The same can't said for M:TG. There's a reason why M:TG sits at #137 and SW is at #26 and rapidly climbing.

You can go and watch a whole game played here, series item is #9.
Watch It Played Video Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Liang
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last thought. If you wanted to play MTG against people online, you can take a look at Magic: The Gathering Online (MTGO). However, it costs money to play (buying boosters, etc.)

@Matt, you are making me seriously consider Summoner Wars as a purchase now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyda wrote:

Not bad for a $10 investment, but it's limited due to the low cost and there being the full blown Magic Online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Another very well put reply. God I love this community haha! One simple question: Have they put a real board to Summoner Wars or is it still a paper board like I've seen on YouTube? You really made me consider Summoner Wars as well ^^

Edit: Very nice video and series (Watched it played). I'll definitely check more of their videos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer: It depends. If you get a regular Summoner Wars starter set (Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs or Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins), you'll get the paper mat. If you buy the Master Set, you will have a board, plus 6 factions. I've only heard terrific stuff about the Master Set; how I wish it were released in Germany. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Coffman
United States
Timberville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the Lord of the Rings LCG a go. It's the most unique card game I've ever played. Players work together against quests, dealing every turn with enemies and events from an encounter deck. Every month or so a new expansion is released, granting new cards to construct both player decks and quest decks. Each has different objectives, difficulties, and unique encounters. Also, since its a LCG from Fantasy FLight Games, you know exactly what is in each expansion you buy. There's no luck or guesswork, and isn't nearly as much of a money sink.

The LOTR card game is my newest obsession. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gruhm Axebattler
msg tools
matthean wrote:
I refuse to believe people who really like games like M:TG will somehow not like SW so getting others interested shouldn't be hard. Watch It Played Video Series
As Gruhm am someone who like M:TG Gruhm can confirm SW is garbage. It have no business being a card game, it feel more like a underdeveloped minis game without budget to afford actual minis. However, SW cards do taste good with salsa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Summoner Wars and the Watch It Played video. I was on the fence about buying Summoner Wars until I watched Rodney and Andrea play it. Since then I have purchased most of the factions available.

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mattlokk
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both games.

Just buy them both.

If I could choose just one, I would buy a lot/collection of MTG from eBay. MTG is so deep and so customizable. There are far more hours of enjoyment from MTG than from Dominion. Especially if you enjoy the art of deck creation. Look for value and don't pay retail (sorry retailers) if possible (unless you really want new cards).

I have banded together with other dubious ne'er-do-wells to purchase large lots of cards (sometimes just rares) and then have a card draft. That alone has been a ton of fun... even the time I dumped a beer on all the card lots and then knocked them to the floor (total accident... honestly... my brother will never forgive me for that).

Ultimately this conundrum is win/win.

Edit for ne'er-do-well... c'mon... no one knows how to spell that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryhl wrote:
@Matt, you are making me seriously consider Summoner Wars as a purchase now.

$38 for the Master set via Amazon Prime so shipping is included.

ninja

I had to relook what come in that set. Shadow Elves are the definition of shifty in their movements. One of their event cards, Into Darkness, allows them to discard two of their opponents commons if the SE have fewer guys. Benders = blue control deck. Vargath are about leadership and kind of moving as a pack while being aggressive. Sand Goblins have the power of the desert. They can use an event card to taunt creatures closer to your summoner and then he can cast a sandstorm on them. Deep Dwarves are magic driven creatures since pretty much any ability requires use of magic. The good news is they get an event that allows them to use their abilities essentially for free. Swamp Orcs = vine wall deck. Not only does a faction have to deal with the SO creatures, SO create vine walls that act as living things themselves and have abilities based around interacting with said walls.

Note, that's a mere surface level of what the factions do. One final thing, creatures have a magic cost to be played. The only way to create magic, is via destroying your opponents cards, events, or discarding your own cards to your magic pile. Do you play the card or offer it up as magic for something better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Answer: It depends. If you get a regular Summoner Wars starter set (Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs or Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins), you'll get the paper mat. If you buy the Master Set, you will have a board, plus 6 factions. I've only heard terrific stuff about the Master Set; how I wish it were released in Germany. cry

Thanks, will definitely get the Master Set now ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruhm wrote:
matthean wrote:
I refuse to believe people who really like games like M:TG will somehow not like SW so getting others interested shouldn't be hard. Watch It Played Video Series
As Gruhm am someone who like M:TG Gruhm can confirm SW is garbage. It have no business being a card game, it feel more like a underdeveloped minis game without budget to afford actual minis. However, SW cards do taste good with salsa.

Even if I wanted to play a CCG, L5R is a far better game, IMO. Why line up and beat on each other until we see who wins when I can do that, or duel, or achieve victory in a number of ways including gaining honor or dishonoring my opponent? Magic:TG is influential. It's far from the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize its not a collectable game at all, but as a former CCG-enthusiast I think it means something when I say that Innovation is the best card game I've ever played for 2 or 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.