James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for IPad 2 owners:

When you're finished using/playing games on, your IPad, do you turn it off (power it down), or just let it go into sleep mode?

How about if you're taking a break for just a couple of hours, do you still power it down or let it sleep?

If you just let it go into sleep mode, what time limit would be enough for you to decide to power it down instead?

My wife and I were discussing this and I thought to myself, "Well, I'll just ask the fine folks at BGG CC!"

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
By powering down do you mean holding both buttons to get the slider to shut it completely down? Or just pushing the top button to turn it off?

I never power it down all the way unless I feel it needs to be rebooted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the intention was for users to always have it sleep when not in use. Reboots/powering-down and then turning on again are very rare in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
By powering down do you mean holding both buttons to get the slider to shut it completely down? Or just pushing the top button to turn it off?

By powering down, I meant holding down the power button until the slider appears that turns the unit completely off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
KSensei wrote:

By powering down, I meant holding down the power button until the slider appears that turns the unit completely off...
I never do this unless something is seriously wonky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
KSensei wrote:

I never do this unless something is seriously wonky.

Can only speak to the iPhones at the moment, but principle is the same.

Never turn it off.

Waiting for the thing to boot up on a cold power-up just about destroys the casual utility of the device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another non-power-downer here.

I use mine every day - it is my main device for casual browsing etc at home - so I want the instant-on factor; but I don't recall ever noticing the power being lower the next evening than when I left it (unless I leave it logged into Skype, and not always then), so I don't see any point in powering down. In fact I would say that, for my usage, the screen is the biggest power drain, so as long as that is off ...

Of course, I don't have many things that constantly check stuff in the background (even the email is set to manual checks) as that is what the iPhone is for. And yes, that can mean that I sometimes hear the iPhone "ping" for a new mail, and then retrieve and open it on the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to "never turn it off"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also never turn it off. I have one of those folding magnetic covers from Apple, that automatically puts it in sleep mode when closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Also never turn it off. I have one of those folding magnetic covers from Apple, that automatically puts it in sleep mode when closed.

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
never turn it off.

i will shut down programs running in the background tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always shut down programs running in the background. About once a week I'll "reset" my ipad b/c I'm convinced that's good for it.

One of the main benefits of using an ipad is that it's always on for you. No waiting for it to boot. Need to take a note or type something up real quick? Just do it and keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.