Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about picking this up for an upcoming trip to Europe, and I was wondering if this is a game that could comfortably be played on two fold down seat trays on an airplane? From the pictures, it looks to me like it would work, but I've never played the game, so it's hard to judge how much the bits all spread out on a table during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is doable. There are 5 cards out in the display, a draw deck, and each player has a stack of camels on the table. All other cards are in hands.

The only other table space you need is for the cardboard chits. I doubt you would have enough space to fan them out which is usually how we play. However there should be plenty of room to have them in stacks, it's not ideal but it shouldn't disrupt things too much to glance through the stacks now and then.

If you play the game a couple of times in advance then you'll have a pretty good idea of the chits anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that would be a pain is if you accidentally knocked some chits on the floor - getting stuff off the floor, especially when your tray tables have stuff on them, is kind of a pain. Other than that, I think it should fit - I've managed Race for the Galaxy on 2 airplane tables...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. And Chris, I'd give an extra thumb if I could for the Cal microbadge. Go Bears!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others that it would be very doable. I would keep the token supplies inside the lid of the box to keep them contained. And I would have each player set up a secure location to store tokens they have taken. (A pocket perhaps?)

Of course as with any card game that has "hands", you'll have to keep them angled away from your opponent, and try to avert your eyes to avoid getting an accidental look at your opponent's hand. However, since all but the first 5 cards are trackable public knowledge, your hands aren't as secret as in many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can cut down on the number of tokens needed by keeping track of the goods tokens on a piece of paper, since these are not hidden information. For example:

I had tried to figure out how to also do this with the (randomly valued) bonus chips, although taking away the fact that these are hidden information, but I never came up with a good solution. That's why you see them on the picture above. I had thought about rolling a die to pick one of the still available bonus chip values, but that would require a d7, d6 and d5. And as far as I'm aware there is no easily available d7 or d5. I suppose you could use a random number generator (on a phone, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea ralie!

A die could be used instead of the chips for sure. In the interest of simplicity I would say just roll the die and forget about recording which chip it was. The chips are finite so can't produce infinitely long strings of similar results like the dice can. However in practice you don't draw that many chips so the approximation isn't too bad. You can also wait until the end of the game to roll the die if you want extra suspense

The 3 card chips are valued 1,2,3.
The 4 card chips are valued 4,5,6.
The 5 card chips are valued 8,9,10.

I would suggest a single D6 is all you need. On a result of 1 or 2 you get the worst valued chip, on 3 or 4 you get the middle valued chip, and on 5 or 6 you get the best valued chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great solution, Jon!

I like the rolling of the die at the end of the game, as that preserves the "hidden information" aspect of the chips. I'm sure a purist would say that it's not the same getting the points at the end versus knowing the value(s) during the course of the game, but we're talking about playing this on a plane so sacrifices must be made, right? I mean, would someone really not always play to get the maximum number of points in this game based on the values of the bonus chips?

Good point regarding the fact that each category of chip has 3 distinct values and that a d6 could be used. I would use the sheet to mark off which values/chips had already been claimed, so that if both of the "1" valued "chips" had been claimed, any future rolls of 1-2 would be ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses and tips. Unfortunately, my FLGS was out of Jaipur, and we leave tomorrow. I picked up Haggis and Citadels, and along with Dominant Species: The Card Game, which I already own, I think we'll have plenty of card games for the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.