Subject: Von Neustadt is turning over in his grave. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can certainly play this game as a Sludge hauler or a mineral/food collector but it will take a long time to get to 50 points and will be about as much fun as watching paint dry. Moving your ship and dumping cargo/crew is just preparation for the core of this game which is the Guild Council and specifically the deliberations. You have 2 minutes to up the price of the goods in your hold and lower the price of goods you are planning to buy. You need to consider what other players want and always be mindful, pad wan learner, of the "bounce" and the maximum dice. A lot to think about in a short period of time. You may not always get what you want but it sure is fun to pull off a deal and rake in 120+ credits in a single turn.
Is the game or the economic model broken, I don’t think so but it is clearly very subtle. If you want beer and pretzels then don’t buy this game. If you want a bit of thinking and deal making then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Umm... so, do you like it or not? In the opening, you say its fun level is akin to watching paint dry, but then give it a thumbs up if you aren't just looking for a beer/pretzel game.

You must've had some purpose when you sat down and wrote this. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what it was.

The OP said:

mbausman wrote:
You can certainly play this game as a Sludge hauler or a mineral/food collector but it will take a long time to get to 50 points and will be about as much fun as watching paint dry.

The post did not indicate that the game is as fun as watching paint dry. It implies that if you only trade in Sludge or Mineral/Food the pace is slow.

If your life was hanging in the balance based on your interpretation of the OP... See ya!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This reply demonstrates the point I was trying to make. Sky Traders is not about hauling Sludge. If you choose to play that way you will have a long and boring experience. I enjoy games that make me think a bit and I enjoyed this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.