United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not affiliated with this [url=http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/7-wonders-companion/id504797218?mt=8]app[url], or a marketer for this app (though I probably should be given my genuine enthusiasm). It's an absolutely fantastic board-game supplement that provides, as stolen from the description:
Quote:
• A NEW EXCLUSIVE WONDER
>> Play with Cupertino, created specially for the occasion!

• RANDOM DRAWING OF WONDERS
>> For a quick game setup. You can also choose not to play with some wonders

• EFFICIENT SCORING CALCULATION
>> Total your points in an easy way with a system that's designed and optimized specifically for 7 Wonders

• KEEP TRACK OF YOUR STATISTICS
>> Record your games and look at the evolution of your scores over time

• QUICK ACCESS TO THE SCIENCE SCORING TOTAL AND THE BUILDING CHAIN
>> Don't lose any more time, and be more precise in your forecasts during the game

• EXPANSION SUPPORT
>> Also helps when playing with Leaders or Cities!

Most importantly, it's really improved my enjoyment of the game. All the fiddly stuff like end-game scoring for everyone, or cool stuff like "I wonder what card types most of my scoring comes from" for every single player ever, as well as persistent stat-tracking, is all in the app.

I've actually posted some threads seeking out cool board-game tools, but haven't received much response. This app is pretty much precisely what I was looking for. I used to track games on BGG, but just felt like I wasn't getting enough value out of the commitment required to actually execute. That value comes through in spades here -- for one, the app just makes scoring quicker, certainly for me, and then all the great stat-tracking is done automatically.

What it really makes me wish for is for more games to have similar apps. I don't think $2 is an unreasonable price to ask for either, or to simply have it be a feature of the game. Example: Everyone knows about Ghost Stories and Arkham Horror scoring and the potential for fun in stat-tracking in those games (who has been our toughest boss? what characters die the most? etc.), but a minuscule number of people actually bother to go through the effort. An app for games like these that handles scoring and stat-tracking seamlessly would be absolutely killer.

I like the idea of a first-party doing it as well since that way the publisher gets rewarded, and there is really some direct investment and a stake in the app from the publisher side (e.g., Cities has already been added into the app, whereas most Dominion-randomizer apps -- even the most popular -- are many expansions out of date), as well as just generally a higher level of quality (ideally, and certainly in practice with the 7W app).

I see the potential for some really great board-game supplements here, and I hope people take the 7W app as a guide on how to execute well in this space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is the arkham horror toolkit that helps keep track of one character during a game and has the ability to draw cards from the encounter decks, but alas no game to game stat tracking.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AH Toolkit is interesting to me. It seems to replace functionality that, doesn't really need replacing? Like rolling dice and stuff. Not to say it's a bad app, just so much of it seems redundant. I like all the value-add that 7W provides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use the die roller, but for me it speeds up set up. You don't have to put out ANY of the location cards, nor deal with shuffling them back in.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
I do like Agricola Buddy for Android. Makes scoring a snap.

And some folks like the Mage Knight Dummy Player app for playing solo or cooperative. (Without the app, players must flip cards of a dummy player's deck, periodically adding special cards to the deck and tokens to its play area.)

But I wouldn't pay money for these. The same way I wouldn't pay someone for their printed player aids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted about this app back in June when it first launched... It came out of nowhere, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's still not perfect (no card gallery? The tech/card tree should be more interactive, still some oddness with assigning players to specific wonders), but it's a nice product. After reading all of the San Juan pricing nonsense, I don't want to get into a debate about the cost... $2 is worth it to me.

iOS: Official 7 Wonders Companion App?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
I do like Agricola Buddy for Android. Makes scoring a snap.

And some folks like the Mage Knight Dummy Player app for playing solo or cooperative. (Without the app, players must flip cards of a dummy player's deck, periodically adding special cards to the deck and tokens to its play area.)

But I wouldn't pay money for these. The same way I wouldn't pay someone for their printed player aids.

Ah yes, I have that as well. I was actually quite surprised to find more board-game helpers for my Android phone than my shiny new iPad, but I suppose it's because many just haven't gotten on board with the tablet form factor. I have no issue whatsoever with paying, provided I am paying for quality & utility, both of which this app has in spades.

Quote:
I posted about this app back in June when it first launched... It came out of nowhere, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's still not perfect (no card gallery? The tech/card tree should be more interactive, still some oddness with assigning players to specific wonders), but it's a nice product. After reading all of the San Juan pricing nonsense, I don't want to get into a debate about the cost... $2 is worth it to me.

Yeah, if you look at how much just went into this last update, it gives me confidence that they will continue to improve it. It's already head-and-shoulders above any board-game-aid app I've ever used, and I've used a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.