Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah and I sat down to two games of Dungeon Command yesterday, using the Drow and Adventurer warbands we'd previously constructed, although we've swapped out a couple of cards in the Drow order deck for better, defensive ones.

Sarah began the game, and immediately set out with her two Drow Wizards and House Guard in search of treasure. I had a War Wizard and a Half-Orc Thug on my side of the battlefield.

Morale: Merric 14, Sarah 15

There was a basic problem with where Sarah had left one of her Wizards: out in the open where my War Wizard could destroy it. I promptly did so, using an Into the Fray to move further than Sarah expected. My Thug double-moved (using my Commander's special power) to stand in front of my War Wizard and protect it. I felt pretty safe.

Until Sarah played a Shadow Mastiff next to my Wizard in the corridor, so I couldn't move away to hit it at range. Oh, dear! Meanwhile, her House Guard was using Spring Attack through a Secret Passage to hurt my characters!

Morale: Merric 14, Sarah 13

The Mastiff and Spring-Attacking House Guard combined to take out my Half-Orc Thug, while keeping my War Wizard trapped. I played Behind the Lines to deploy a second War Wizard in Sarah's starting area, and used it to destroyed her second Drow Wizard. I deployed a Dwarven Defender, and - despite the problems with my first War Wizard - I felt pretty good about the situation. Sarah would have real problems dealing with my new War Wizard, and soon my reinforcements would be able to turn the tables on her.

Then she deployed an Umber Hulk, and my hopes went out the window.

You'll notice that my morale has gone down a lot more than you might have thought: I was using Cowering to keep my War Wizard alive, but Sarah was using Quick Jab cards to make it hurt even more. Oh, and she managed to attach a Faerie Fire as well...

Morale: Merric 6, Sarah 13

My second War Wizard backed away from the Umber Hulk and hit it for 30 damage. My Dwarven Defender and first War Wizard teamed up, and I regretted that the Defender couldn't move one square more! I used a healing potion to regain some hit points on the War Wizard, and finally managed to hit the Mastiff for significant damage.

Then Umber Hulk really sealed the deal for Sarah, as it targeted the dangerously vulnerable War Wizard. Sarah used the Hulk's Confusing Gaze to pin the War Wizard against the wall, and I began wishing for a teleportation card!

Morale: Merric 4, Sarah 13

I was able to make a number of really big attacks on the Mastiff now, and Sarah cowered - a lot - to save it. How much? Well, her morale dropped from 13 to 6, so that's a lot of damage prevented!

This was a big game for cowering - the advantage of the figures being where they were outweighed the morale loss. Mostly. Certainly, Sarah needed to keep the pressure on my existing figures, and 'losing' a couple of turns to bring new figures forward would have allowed me time to recoup and recover (and gain some treasure). My decision to cower the War Wizards was more questionable.

However, with the Shadow Mastiff still in play, Sarah was able to use the remaining order cards in hand to take out the first War Wizard - I couldn't cower, but just watched it die. Final morale: Merric 0, Sarah 6.

The game took about 25 minutes. With optimized decks (and occasionally poor playing decisions) this game is running a lot faster than our original games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report... they definitely help me grok the game in ways not always apparent on a first play. Reminds me of the first edition of magic and trying to work out just what it meant to try different routes.

Keep them comin' !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try! The game really rewards repeated plays. I'm going to really enjoy it once more people around here have built warbands.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.