Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Play #13 of my 100 Play Challenge.

Units =Blue, Red, Yellow
Void Lock = 1 Player, Solo
Location 2 = Dark Catacombs
Location 3 = Wrath of Baal Chapel
Location 4 = Genestealer Lair

Result = Win
Survival Rate = 83%, 5 marines

VOID LOCK / 4 GS on formation

Turn 1
Yellow, Support, +1 ST to B. Claudio
Blue, Move & Activate, +1 ST to Door
Red, Attack

B. Valencio vs 2 GS = (0)
B. Leon vs 2 GS = (2), (3) = two kills

2 GS vs. B. Claudio = (2), -1 ST, (1) = miss due to “Defensive Stance”

Out of Thin Air

From the beginning, I want to increase the use of support tokens (ST). This has been lacking in my previous plays. Because of this, I think this may be one of the very few times I’ve actually used the “Defensive Stance.” I’m glad I did as B. Claudio probably would have been lost if this was an earlier attempt. And I use Red Unit to help reduce some of the swarms of Genestealers (GS).

Turn 2
Red, Support, +1 ST to Sgt. Lorenzo
Yellow, Move & Activate, +1 ST to Door
Blue, Attack

Sgt. Lorenzo vs 3 GS = (3) = 1 kill and +1 ST to B. Denio
B. Denio vs 2 GS = (0), -1 ST, (2) = 1 kill

2 GS vs Sgt. Lorenzo = (5)
1 GS vs B. Valencio = (4)
1 GS vs B. Denio = (5)

For My Battle Brothers, Sgt. Lorezo, -1 ST = 1 kill

Location Change, Door -2 ST = 2 kills

Again, I am trying to be better about my support token use. All three teams add a token throughout this turn, and they come in handy. B. Denio is able to turn a miss into a kill. I am finally able to use the For My Battle Brothers event card for a “free” GS kill. And the two Door tokens lessen the GS number for the next location. So that’s four ST for four GS this turn. I’m pretty happy with that!

DARK CATACOMBS / 5 GS

Turn 3
Blue, Support, +1 ST to B. Denio
Red, Move & Activate, +2 ST to Door
Yellow, Attack

B. Claudio = 3 kills = (3)

1 GS vs Sgt. Lorenzo = (0), dead
1 GS vs B. Denio = (0), -1 ST, (5)

Full Scan, remove 1 card from a blip pile

My first soldier is lost here. Blue Unit’s special ability, “Counter Attack,” failed me this turn. The only roll that would have killed Sgt. Lorenzo was a 0, and there it was. Nothing you can do about that. B. Denio makes use of another support token, this time to save himself.

Turn 4
Yellow, Move & Activate, +1 ST to Door
Blue, Attack

B. Denio vs 2 GS = (1) = 1 kill, +1 ST to B. Denio

Red, Attack

B. Leon vs 2 GS = (1), (1) = 2 kills
B. Valencio vs 2 GS = (3) = 1 kill

1 GS vs B. Denio = (2)
1 GS vs B. Goriel = (0), dead

Rescue Space Marine, Sgt. Lorenzo

Location Change, Door -3 ST = 3 kills

I lose another marine, but one is revived! This is my third “good” event card in a row. It must be my lucky day. With the previous Full Scan event card helping to reduce one of the blip piles, I knew I’d probably be moving on this turn, so I wanted to be sure to squeeze in one more ST on the Door. And I felt like there were too many GS swarms on the formation, so I used two Units for attacking this turn. Again, I must have a lucky streak going because more rolls are going my way than not. I’ll take it!

WRATH OF BAAL CHAPEL / 3 GS

Turn 5
Blue, Move & Activate, Artefact moved to my hand
Yellow, Attack

B. Claudio = 3 kills = (5)

Cleansing Flames

Wow, this is amazing...another “good” event card. Unfortunately (okay, not really), there are zero GS on the formation when this card arrives, so its Instinct action goes unused. I continue to activate the Door when there are no other pressing matters at hand. And I pick up the Artefact for later use.

Turn 6
Yellow, Support, +1 ST to B. Leon
Blue, Attack

B. Denio vs 2 GS, (2) = 1 kill, +1 ST to Sgt. Lorenzo
Sgt. Lorenzo vs 1 GS = (0), -1 ST, (1) = 1 kill

Red, Attack

B. Valencio vs 2 GS = (4)
B. Leon vs 2 GS = (4), (3), (5), -1 ST, (0) = 1 kill

1 GS vs B. Valencio = (1), but use Artefact to make it a miss

Quick Instincts, B. Valencio vs 1 GS = (5)

Someone must have stacked the deck in my favor...yet one more event card that gives me a chance to improve my situation. Too bad B. Valencio missed, but that's okay. I'm just glad to know I had the opportunity. Here, again, Blue Unit's special attack ability, Lead by Example, comes in handy. It adds a ST to Sgt. Lorenzo, and he immediately turns it around to change a missed attack into a kill. Red Unit's attack, however, was not so successful. With five rolls of the die, they only hit 1 GS.

Turn 7
Red, Support, +1 ST to B. Valencio
Blue, Move & Activate, +1 ST to Door

Intimidation = (5), all GS on the formation are moved back to the blip pile

Yellow, Attack

Surrounded

I decide to use Blue Unit's “Intimidation” action. My hope was to move one or two GS back to the blip pile and let B. Claudio slay the remaining ones. However, I end up rolling a (5). The card says “shuffle that many” not “up to that many,” so I felt I had to move all five of the GS (which all happened to be on Blue Unit's marines) back to the smallest blip pile. This caused Yellow Unit's attack to go unused. However, it also meant that there were no GS on the formation when the Surrounded event card arrive, also making that action go unused.

Turn 8
Yellow, Support, +1 ST to B. Claudio
Blue, Attack

B. Denio vs 1 GS = (5), -1 ST, (4)

1 GS vs B. Claudio = (1), -1 ST, (4)
1 GS vs B. Valencio = (1), -1 ST, (5)

They're Everywhere

Location Change, Door -5 ST = 5 kills

Yes! Thank you to myself for using lots of ST this game. Two more marines survive because of their use. Also, I knew I was close to moving on to the final location, so I wanted to get Red Unit activating the Door again. This turns out to be a great move as at the end of this turn, there are a total of 5 GS on the formation...all of which are slain by the Door during the location change. I am ready for whatever the final location may bring...

GENESTEALER LAIR / 2 Brood Lords, 0 GS

Turn 9
Blue, Move & Activate, Spore Chimney = (3), remove terrain card
Red, Attack

B. Leon vs 1 BL = (2) = 1 kill

Yellow, Attack

B. Claudio = 1 BL kill = (1)

Woo-hoo!! Victory!! With no GS on the formation, it was a fairly easy choice to make this turn. I used Blue Unit to remove the Spore Chimney...just in case. Then both Red and Yellow Units make their attacks. B. Leon only needed one of his three rolls to slay the one BL, while B. Claudio's Heroic Charge allows him to slay the other. And with his survival roll of (1), I am victorious with five space marines remaining. My thirteenth play of this fun game is both my luckiest and most successful attempt yet.

Let's hope my good fortune continues....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
... I felt I had to move all five of the GS (which all happened to be on Blue Unit's marines) back to the smallest blip pile. This caused Yellow Unit's attack to go unused.

At least that was one less chance for Brother Claudio to kill himself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:

At least that was one less chance for Brother Claudio to kill himself

Exactly! He went three for three this game. I'd probably be pushing it with a fourth attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.