BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Does Small World play well with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nancy Ann
United States
California
flag msg tools
We have several card type games that play well with 2 people but this one seems a bit more interesting. Just wondering how well it plays out with 2?

Does it also play well with 3?

Thanks a bunch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it works great. Just take out the Diplomat ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I personally don't like the game at all ... so I'm going to say it doesn't play well with any no. of players.

Evo's a much better game by the same designer ... (if you have to try Small World then get an ipad and play the IOS version of the game first to see if you like it before you buy)

or try Tobago if you're looking for a good game that plays well with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes with maps for those specific amount of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is fairly new to our house. I have played it with 2, 3, and 5. You have a little more control when there are just 2 players, and there is more opportunity to really learn the characters and abilities. A little more relaxed game but still fun. With 5 players, it was very wild and fun but a longer game, some chaos, some waiting between turns. 3-player game fell in the middle. I liked it with every number of players!
So, now we have added expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it's definitely "okay" with 2, but it was really designed to sing with more. The most noticeable loss is the increasing value of less interesting race/ability combos. The more players you have, the faster those get coins piled up on them, and the more tempting they are to take, leading to surprising results. In 2p, that's really not much of a major factor.

And with only one opponent, the gameplay quickly gets into the "I hit you, you hit me, I hit you, you hit me" routine. With more players (even 3) it's much more exciting to when you have shifting allegiances and more options overall.

Okay with 2, but muchmuchmuchmuch better with more. It's why we traded it away in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, it plays just fine with 2. Not saying it isn't better with more, but playing with 2 at least removes the kingmaking issue, which is probably one of the biggest problems of multiplayer Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dynamic of Small World is conflict. So while the board ' scales' to two or three players..it isn't ANY fun with two...marginal at best with three. This games shines with 4 our more.

If you don't have enough players to inspire conflict...there are better games for 2 or 3 players. MUCH better games....

But for 4 or more...it is great...

Course...that's just MHO...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Small World comes with specific maps for the number of players in the game. There is a map for 2 players included. It works quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Apart from being great with 2 which you already know from previous posts, it features expansion Small World: Realms, which allows you to create custom maps for different player numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasss333 wrote:
(if you have to try Small World then get an ipad and play the IOS version of the game first to see if you like it before you buy)

Go buy a 600 dollar piece of hardware...to try out a 40 dollar game before you buy?

What am I missing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
Yeah it works great. Just take out the Diplomat ability.

Agreed....

You can try out the game with the Small World IoS app first (if you have the device already of course)....since it is just for 2 players...

In 2P, just watch out if your opponent is very aggressive and is second. If you don't stack up on your entry areas he can eat you up immediately...the IoS AI likes to do this a lot so I learned this lesson the hard way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will no longer suggest Small World with more than two players. I think it is the ideal number of players. For one reason. Downtime. There is next to nothing to do when it is not your turn. And it is loooooooong. I prefer long games as a general rule, but only if playtime is meaningful. In Small World, the more players there are, the less turns you play, the more you have to wait between them, and the longer playtime becomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2, it is one of my wife's favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Ann
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the input. I will put it on my list. I am not super hyped about it but it does seem different and interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think Small World is much better as a 2-player game than a multiplayer game; I say this having played a modest amount of both.

There is more opportunity for strategy and planning in the 2-player game as there aren't radical swings in the boardstate from turn to turn. And you plan around the availavle race-power combos much better and get nice synergies going between your active + decline race while considering the pacing of your opponent.

Overall, the 2-player game is much more thinky, strategic, and cutthroat (in a chess sort of way), and I like it better. Multiplayer is still fun, although the level of chaos makes it a bit lighter feeling. Downtime can be an issue with more players too depending on your group's AP levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think SmallWorld plays great with 2 players, and I might even say that it is my favourite number to play with. Not saying that is not great with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played SW 2 and 3 and I prefer 3. 2 is good, but my big problem is that in 2p, if one person gets one really good turn and starts to pull ahead, it is almost impossible to catch up. At least that's what I've noticed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Small World with anywhere from 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
Overall, the 2-player game is much more thinky, strategic, and cutthroat (in a chess sort of way), and I like it better. Multiplayer is still fun, although the level of chaos makes it a bit lighter feeling. Downtime can be an issue with more players too depending on your group's AP levels.

I second Oliver's sentiments. Small World is an excellent 2p game - if you're looking for a cutthroat strategy game.

One of the things I really like about Small World is how distinct the 2p and 3p+ games feel. 2p is very much a game of chess with goofy bits while 3p (and more) is far more chaotic. As a result of the chaos players tend to be less hurt by a loss and focus more on the fun-having (and there is oft much fun to be had playing Small World).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played SW with 2 to 5, and it is wonderful always!

signed..
Fanboi

But yes, I've played it two-player many times and it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.