DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: No dice, no cards, my favourite combat 'variant' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
So many people have put a lot of effort into making alternative combat rules and I'm sure some of them work well, but we've never felt the need to try them out.

I think the single most important change you can ever make to play Dungeonquest is to actually physically do rock, paper, scissors for the combat.

Kids love rock, paper, scissors. Hey, everyone loves rock, paper, scissors with an added twist and purpose. You get to make eye contact, face off and just do it. No analysis paralysis, no fuss, lots of laughs and it couldn't be any faster. We keep track of the damage dealt with the spare hand to speed things up even more.

If a player 'rock' hits a monster 'scissors', the player deals 2 damage/wins twice.

If you use 3rd ed (we don't) Hugo wins on draws, Krutzbeck deals extra damage, Challara and Brightblaze lose the 2 damage ability when they have 8 or more wounds.

You get the 'skill' and the fun of facing off against another player from the card combat systems, the speed of the dice systems and the added physical feel of a fight.

I know all the above might seem too obvious to deserve a post, but I honestly don't understand why all the complex alternative systems got invented in the first place, so I thought I'd just throw this out there and see if it helps anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Guess I'm not everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's great!
but what about Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock?
a lot more variations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Guess I'm not everyone.

Which combat system do you prefer, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I like the one in the box.
Rock paper sissors even outside of dungeonquest is not something I have ever really found to be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the one in the box as well, for what it's worth It's rather fast, not prone to AP or anything, but gives the players some minimal influence on combat - even including some bluffing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well, this clearly isn't for either of you. If you're happy with the rules out of the box you don't need variants! This is for people playing with kids, all those people who find the 3rd edition combat slow and anyone who wants to improve on or use the 1st edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fowler
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk up another person that prefers the one in the box. Definitely more strategic than rolling dice or rock-paper-scissors, without being over-complicated (although the description of it in the rules can make it seem over-complicated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hey, everyone loves rock, paper, scissors with an added twist and purpose.

I think I am not part of that everyone too. RPS is a good idea, but I don't like the idea of unbalanced RPS, I think it's not fair.

I prefer using my dice variant which happens to be a dice variant of a dice variant of a dice variant.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/67888/dice-combat-vari...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
RPS is a good idea, but I don't like the idea of unbalanced RPS, I think it's not fair.

It's the original DungeonQuest combat system, not something I came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Grace
United States
Petoskey
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I'll try your combat system with my kids, thank you, such a good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay =)

I was fairly bummed by most of the responses here but it's a case of 'know your audience' I suppose. A kid-friendly suggestion with a 'hey everyone loves rock-paper-scissors' tagline in a rule variant forum was always bound to draw a bunch of nay-sayers.

Seriously though, if you want to play with kids and/or non-gamers and/or Japanese people this variant is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Grace
United States
Petoskey
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Seriously though, if you want to play with kids and/or non-gamers and/or Japanese people this variant is awesome.

yeah I bet there's NO BETTER WAY to play it with kids!
as for "and with Japanese people..." mhh I watch a lot of Anime and for some reason Japanese love playing Jan Khen Pahh (How do you say it in Japanese?
Is it true there are even Rock, paper, scissors competitions in Japan?
Domo Arigato!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
じゃんけんぽん (jya-n-ke-n-po-n) or just じゃんけん (jya-n-ke-n)

It's used to decide all sorts of things, from who should pay the bill to who starts a game. With more than 2 participants the most often used version is that any duplicates drop out and any unique (or the least prevalent) symbol goes to the next round until there's only one or two people left.

I don't watch (or own a) TV but I'm sure there are competitions... it crops up fairly regularly on variety shows and other TV programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Grace
United States
Petoskey
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry I should've read this before...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-paper-scissors
I seems the game was imported to the western world from Japan, and not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, Rock-paper-scissors was what was in the original box, and it was put there on purpose, fights were supposed to be over in less than 30 seconds. The whole idea is that once the rock-paper scissors get unbalanced, it turns into something else.

I'm personally pretty fond of the 2e combat system, which generally is rock-paper-scissors-fourthOption. With some twists on what happens if both choose the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.