Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah is a big fan of Japanese warfare, and was very interested in Samurai Battles - thus, I was pleased to see her enter as Hendo left. I reset the battlefield, and we began her first play (and my second) of the latest in the Commands and Colours range: Samurai Battles.

My side played first, so I moved up my figures a little and let hers have it - for little effect.

So Sarah, taking affront at this, moved back and smashed my forces, causing them to retreat. My honour took a hit, and I began to wonder how I was going to survive this, based on my experiences in my first game.

The basic idea seemed to be: keep my units back, and shoot as much as possible against Sarah, hoping I could to force her to retreat. This wasn't working so well, especially as she played Dragon cards to ignore any flags I rolled!

My Honour and Fortune continued to diminish.

When in doubt: fall back and shoot some more. If only my archers and gunners could hit! It didn't help that Sarah initiated a duel between our leaders, which she won (1 sword to none). Or that my own play of the duel card - which I was feeling quite happy about with two swords - backfired on my as Sarah made an incredible counter-roll to win. Oh goody, I now had no leaders and was down two cards in hand. Limited tactical options? Oh well, let's just fire in Sarah's general direction!

The next stages of the game are as painful to relate as they were to live through, and resembled the earlier stages more than a little. Leader-inspired cavalry are DEADLY in this game, and I didn't have any. At least my Samurai were finally deigning to enter the battle.

And they died, as well. Not well - horribly.

From there, it was just a case of Sarah hunting down the last of my Ashigaru. As the battle ended, I'd lost even worse than my first game: 5-1.

Despite losing both games (and quite badly) I'd played, I very much enjoyed this version of the C&C system: the Honour and Fortune system married with the Dragon cards seemed to work really well, and the extra decision-making it permitted makes the game much more interesting.

I'm not sure if I was playing badly or if the scenario really is that unbalanced (it wouldn't be the first C&C scenario that was - there's a reason you should normally swap sides), but the superior nature of the samurai cavalry was certainly apparent.

I'm not quite sure when I'll get my next chance to play the game. I want to get through all the C&C scenarios before turning my eye to the Art of Tactic game, which looks very interesting (if fairly long to resolve).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this scenario is a bit too historically accurate. Takeda would need to be very lucky to win it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent pair of reports, Merric! Well done!

I can't wait to get my figures off the painting bench and back on the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.