Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
Variant: I suggest playing the game using a DGT CU3E 4-person game clock, put in 30 seconds "move time+save" mode. If you make a quick turn, (grabbing a cube and nothing else), you have the remaining seconds saved to the following turns. If the clock times out, you loose a VP.

I have a friend with whom I always argue because he's always preparing next round of resources (cards, cubes or wathever element we are playing with) when people are still doing their previous round. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not a fight against the clock.

AP is horrible, but being in a hurry during gaming is as bad as AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:

Amen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF hates playing games slowly and bearing this in mind we knocked out a 2p Village game in 45 minutes if that two nights ago. And this was only our second game of it. So it can be quite quick. Final scores were 50-45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:
sthrjo wrote:
Variant: I suggest playing the game using a DGT CU3E 4-person game clock, put in 30 seconds "move time+save" mode. If you make a quick turn, (grabbing a cube and nothing else), you have the remaining seconds saved to the following turns. If the clock times out, you loose a VP.

I have a friend with whom I always argue because he's always preparing next round of resources (cards, cubes or wathever element we are playing with) when people are still doing their previous round. Games are meant to be enjoyed, not a fight against the clock.

Why argue when someone takes a pro-active approach to house keeping? He isn't prodding you in the arm to speed up, he is just minimising down time between rounds. Henrik suggested the timer as a variant, either embrace it or reject it.

In my experience people who are prone to AP can't be hurried unless they agree to timed turns and even then I've had players turn the clock off mid game (on their turn) or even hidden it in another room.

Unchecked AP destroys the atmosphere of a game. The record for a single game turn where I was an unfortunate player was for many years 15 minutes in a game of Planet Steam until last month when a single player's turn in Mage Knight took 27 minutes during which time I took a comfort break, suggested a round of tea, made the tea, delivered it and drank it, all punctuated by long pauses.

What amazes me with AP prone players is their oblivious attitude to the time they are taking and in some cases they seriously believe that they aren't slow at all. To a man they resist the use of a clock or timer. If someone is taking excessive time to take a turn that IS bad ettiquette and there is nothing remiss in asking them to pick the pace up. Such an action is only a response to AP and in no way as big a crime as the AP itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who gets the bits ready for the next round, it has nothing to do with hurrying people. More using down time productively and saving having a large gap in between rounds. No one has negatively commented and it makes sure all players are aware the round end is getting near (especially with newcomers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Unchecked AP destroys the atmosphere of a game. The record for a single game turn where I was an unfortunate player was for many years 15 minutes in a game of Planet Steam until last month when a single player's turn in Mage Knight took 27 minutes during which time I took a comfort break, suggested a round of tea, made the tea, delivered it and drank it, all punctuated by long pauses.

You're a better man than me; I would have gone home! (And if it were in my home already, I would have kicked the other guy out.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
blondebunbun wrote:
As someone who gets the bits ready for the next round, it has nothing to do with hurrying people. More using down time productively and saving having a large gap in between rounds. No one has negatively commented and it makes sure all players are aware the round end is getting near (especially with newcomers).

Village is great example of a game that allows for this. While the last player takes his action, another player starts prepping the cubes in the bag while another player prepares for mass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of my friend I can assure you that he does it to hurry people up to the point that, for example he turns his cards face up in Dungeon Lords when we are still figuring out what to do. Result: Second time we tell him to wait for us with no success we start using the info about his cards on our advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Unchecked AP destroys the atmosphere of a game.

Agreed.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
The record for a single game turn where I was an unfortunate player was for many years

Wow - now that IS bad ...

Big Bad Lex wrote:
If someone is taking excessive time to take a turn that IS bad ettiquette

Again - agreed - 100%

Big Bad Lex wrote:
there is nothing remiss in asking them to pick the pace up. Such an action is only a response to AP and in no way as big a crime as the AP itself.

I agree - with the small caveat that we're all different and what one person might consider normal pace another might consider hurried. It may be that it's just best for certain players not to be in the same game together. But personally I applaud attempts to shake up the excessively AP-prone, who have ruined a games night for me more than a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lochi wrote:
In the case of my friend I can assure you that he does it to hurry people up to the point that, for example he turns his cards face up in Dungeon Lords when we are still figuring out what to do. Result: Second time we tell him to wait for us with no success we start using the info about his cards on our advantage.

He's probably the guy who's somehow 3 turns ahead in 7 wonders too.

But yeah, if someone is just preparing next rounds bits like in power grid or agricola off the board, it's ok. If he's literally putting stuff on the board before next round has started, that's different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Lochi wrote:

He's probably the guy who's somehow 3 turns ahead in 7 wonders too.

But yeah, if someone is just preparing next rounds bits like in power grid or agricola off the board, it's ok. If he's literally putting stuff on the board before next round has started, that's different.
Our guy in 7 Wonders just says "one two three flip" really quickly about 15 seconds after he's been passed cards in order to move everyone along. I think 25 seconds is about right for thinking in that game...anything longer is too much, but I find that guy's forcing the issue to be pretty annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
The game ends with 18/15/10 graves filled.

I think your numbers are a bit off. Theoretically, a four player game *could* last for 19/16/11 deaths (that's all but one of the book spaces filled, and all the anonymous graves filled) ... but I doubt that happens very often at all. The opposite - and equally unlikely - edge case is that the game could end as soon as 7/4/4 deaths have occurred. The actual number is much more likely somewhere between these two extremes.

Quote:
...I estimate that a Time Unit is consumed in a slightly lower rate than the player turns.

I'm not sure that's true of the games I've played either - I'm guessing the stables/smithy death-rush isn't a common tactic in your particular game group?

The box quote of 60-90 minutes seems like a pretty fair estimate to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.