Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Fat Pack cardboard boxes for storing my cube? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a nice box to store my cube. I haven't bought a magic product in a long time, nor have I been in a MTG store, so I don't know what's up.

I'm talking about these: [geekurl=http://sales.starcitygames.com//spoiler/display.php?name=Card+Box&namematch=EXACT&text=&oracle=1&textmatch=AND&flavor=&flavormatch=EXACT&action=Show+Results&s_all=All&format=&c_all=All&multicolor=&colormatch=OR&ccl=0&ccu=99&t_all=All&z]starcitygames[/geekurl].

Do they have a seperate lid? I don't want a fold box.
And how many sleeved cards do they approximately hold?

Thanks!

ps: my right collarbone is broken. Pardon me if I use fewer words to explain things than I'd normally do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do have a separate lid, but I'm not sure how many sleeved cards they hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use fat pack boxes to hold my cube and I can get about 250 sleeved cards (Ultra Pro's) in each one.

Obviously if you want to use thicker sleeves you'd get fewer cards in each box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
They hold over three hundred sleeved cards. I have three commander decks in one, with room to spare!

Be careful with the lids, though. They have a tendency to bend a card on the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
Be careful with the lids, though. They have a tendency to bend a card on the end.
This.
The first fat-pack I bought back in the day, I opened the cards & stored them in the fat-pack box, then when I opened it back up I noticed the first white card (some white-weenie) was mauled from the stupid top insert they use to achieve box height. Thankfully the card wasn't anything rare or wonderful, but I was still chuffed at the bad box design.

Now the Deckbuilder's Toolkit boxes? Those are nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the deckbuilder toolkit boxes. You can store 4-5 decks comfortably and I am also able to use "toploaders" as deck seperators. I then slide a trimmed index card into the toploader with the deck name and any cards that I need for sideboard/replacement in case I use copies of a card in multiple decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
They hold over three hundred sleeved cards. I have three commander decks in one, with room to spare!

I can vouch for this. I had a couple sleeves get bent, but no cards yet. I hold 3 commander decks in mine and you can fit 5 regular decks in it.

The deckbuilder kits also hold the same and are cheaper (at least here in the US) than the fat packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
How many sleeved cards can be stored in a Deckbuilder's Toolkit box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
How many sleeved cards can be stored in a Deckbuilder's Toolkit box?

I usually fit 4-5 sleeved decks with sleeved sideboards, though 5 can get tight if you have dividers and tokens in the mix. 4 safely for sure though. They are basically the same size as a "white box" courrugated storage box that would fit 500 or so unsleeved cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
60-card decks with 15-card sideboards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
60-card decks with 15-card sideboards?

Yes. If you like, I can post pictures tonight when I get home from work. Otherwise, here is a link to a blog of someone opening one with pics:
http://negativedoubleinfinity.wordpress.com/2011/03/19/deck-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sure! I didn't see any pictures at that link that really showed the box interior or contents still in it. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I fit five 60 card decks in deckbuilder kits with thick dividers in between, so 4 decks with sideboards should fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat Packs suck for holding cards it is a really bad design. Not only do they wreck cards as mentioned above, but they HAVE to be held from the bottom. if you grab the top (which you will at some point) they bottom falls out and the cards fall on the ground. THE ONLY thing they have going for them is cool graphics.

Why are you opposed to a fold top box? They hold everything you need (various sizes) and have none of the above mentioned problems and they are cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Syvanis wrote:
Why are you opposed to a fold top box? They hold everything you need (various sizes) and have none of the above mentioned problems and they are cheap.

Are you talking to me?
DUDE...Cubing is a disease! PIMP THE CUBE (which includes the box)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was talking to the OP since he said he didn't like those. I am an artist so I just draw on mine. But there is plenty of art out there that you can put on a fold box or you can buy them with good art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here you go! It's 4 decks sleeved and sideboard, with room for some dice and tokens... or five decks without SB or extras... All 4 of these decks are 60 + 15, the one of the right looks like a bigger deck because it's kind of "fallen" forward a bit into the empty space. Otherwise the empty space is about an inch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesnt look like a fat pack? is it new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
That doesnt look like a fat pack? is it new?

No, it's a "Deckbuilders Tool Kit." See the link above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pretty big cube which I keep in here: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?fpid=Acc-UPCol...

It fits something like 800-900 sleeved cards, so I keep my lands in it as well. I had the same box with a different design for the longest time, but I finally switched to this one so I could buy the matching sleeves. Makes it very ascetically pleasing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deck builders looks like a much better solution. Glad to see Wizards is putting out something decent.

But honestly I'll still go with the fold into itself box. I have dropped them before and they always hold. I don't want to risk something that might pop open.

When I was first getting really into Magic I had a crappy box for holding my cards and my girlfriend at the time decided to pull them out of the trunk, in the winter, by a snow bank.

It fell open and a Mox Jet, Mox Emerald and a Timetwister along with 800 other cards fell into the snow. I spent the rest of the night desleeving cleaning and resleeving all of those cards.

The Power nine were not harmed. A few other cards got wrecked but it was under $20 in damage. Something that totally protects the cards is going to be better than anything that "just" looks cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
The Deck builders looks like a much better solution. Glad to see Wizards is putting out something decent.

But honestly I'll still go with the fold into itself box. I have dropped them before and they always hold. I don't want to risk something that might pop open.

When I was first getting really into Magic I had a crappy box for holding my cards and my girlfriend at the time decided to pull them out of the trunk, in the winter, by a snow bank.

It fell open and a Mox Jet, Mox Emerald and a Timetwister along with 800 other cards fell into the snow. I spent the rest of the night desleeving cleaning and resleeving all of those cards.

The Power nine were not harmed. A few other cards got wrecked but it was under $20 in damage. Something that totally protects the cards is going to be better than anything that "just" looks cool.

Double sleeving ftw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Fat Packs suck for holding cards it is a really bad design. Not only do they wreck cards as mentioned above, but they HAVE to be held from the bottom. if you grab the top (which you will at some point) they bottom falls out and the cards fall on the ground. THE ONLY thing they have going for them is cool graphics.

The following points are important to me (from very important to regular important)

1: Cool Graphics (preferably something generic, like mana symbols)
2: Holds enough cards (between 400-500)
3: Can serve a purpose during cubing (for instance, I could use the lid to store sideboards during drafting)
4: Is durable and sturdy, and will show minimal wear when transporting in a backpack. I'm also afraid that foldable boxes will show wear/damage after a while at the fold-crease. I really like the sturdy look of fatpack boxes, and foldables look less sturdy to me.

What is not important to me:

1: The lid-bottom falling issue (I puy a rubber band around everything)
2: Price (but it still must be reasonable)

But, a box like this can change my mind :
ragudaddy wrote:
I have a pretty big cube which I keep in here: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_supplies.php?fpid=Acc-UPCol...

What's this about damaging/bending cards? I'm always really neat about putting away and storing cards? Is the box really too small, or is it designed to tightly hug the cards?

Thanks all! I didn't expect all these reactions, you guys are really helpfull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

The following points are important to me (from very important to regular important)

1: Cool Graphics (preferably something generic, like mana symbols)
2: Holds enough cards (between 400-500)
3: Can serve a purpose during cubing (for instance, I could use the lid to store sideboards during drafting)
4: Is durable and sturdy, and will show minimal wear when transporting in a backpack. I'm also afraid that foldable boxes will show wear/damage after a while at the fold-crease. I really like the sturdy look of fatpack boxes, and foldables look less sturdy to me.

What is not important to me:

1: The lid-bottom falling issue (I puy a rubber band around everything)
2: Price (but it still must be reasonable)

But, a box like this can change my mind :
ragudaddy wrote:

What's this about damaging/bending cards? I'm always really neat about putting away and storing cards? Is the box really too small, or is it designed to tightly hug the cards?

Thanks all! I didn't expect all these reactions, you guys are really helpfull.

Folding cardboard boxes are very sturdy. They might get worn over time, but they hold together. My brother probably has the same ratty box I gave him twelve years ago.

The fatpack boxes have a lip at the top on the inside. It will catch a card sometimes and squish it down. Sometimes even when you're careful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have extra empty deckbuilder boxes if anyone wants them. I have both of the first and second series (none of the current 2013 version.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.