Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If any reader happens to have records of a complete game that they would be willing to have analyzed for the hypothesized strategy book, I would be most interested. Player anonymity can be promised. Games that go on for a fair number of terms and that are available as computer files are of particular value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Beard
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings George:

It is possible that Joe Angiolillo may be able to provide you with a sample game record or two; for my own part, I won't be able to help because I don't usually keep old game files once the matches they are recording are completed.

On the other hand, one possible source of STALINGRAD example games might be the CSW PBeM Tournament; unfortunately, because these tournament matches all use the D10 CRT for combat resolution (instead of the standard D6 Table), involve bidding for sides (virtually always for the Russians, not surprisingly), and add two game turns to the twenty-four month Turn Record Track, they may not be of much use when it comes to a project like yours.

In any case, I'm sure that someone out there has the complete record of a good, competitive game; it's just a matter of reaching the right audience (experienced players).

Best Regards, Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Phillies
United States
Worcester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Prospectus for the Project
Noting the sad fading away of players of war games, I am starting to write two short (by my standards) books, namely "Stalingrad for Beginners" and "Stalingrad for the Intermediate Player". I hope to finish them within a year. The objectives are to introduce new players to the game and bring up tactical skills. While Stalingrad is no longer in print, used copies continue to appear on eBay, and ZunTzu, Vassal, Aide de Camp, and other software packages support play by mail.

I will be using ZunTzu to generate the figures, and will be publishing via Kindle, Smashwords, or perhaps Createspace. As part of the book, I am looking for records of complete games that could be critiqued. ZunTzu records are somewhat easier to handle, but I will take what I can get. I will be happy to protect the anonymity of players, since some of you might prefer that your opponents not know that you were the one being critiqued.

The wise man or woman will ask: Can this Phillies fellow actually write a book, let alone two of them? When complete, Stalingrad for Beginners will be my 14th book, unless I finish something else first, in which case it will be my 15th or perhaps 16th book. My most recent three books, completed this summer, are

*Designing Modern Strategy Games (with Tom Vasel, Kindle, Smashwords.com)
*The One World (smashwords.com, Kindle; novel, three musketeers vs amazons)
*Mistress of the Waves( Kindle, Kindle premium; novel, her wits against starfarer ultratech)
...George Phillies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hoi George, while I have to suggest upon why don't Y-O-U use Vassal, etc. and re-create the actual "Historical Campaign" using some GAME with its components for such a depiction? In this manner and 'fashioning', then, additional further explanation OR extrapolating upon HOW any "historical outcome" would have to become obtained and accurately portrayed through a CRT of theirs, or even not be able on doing just that, due to whatever "left out-&-in" 'factorings' for every consideration(s).

-ALSO: If you would desire on including just that "HQ"-VARIANT portion I'd 'created' for this too, just let me know then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Several months later, but just got directed to this thread from the main wargames site.

Congratulations on the publication of this book, George. Just poking around on Amazon to try and see some of the other things you've written. I guess the obvious question is - do you have a website?

(Here is the link, for those who need it:

http://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-Beginners-Studies-Design-eb... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.