Hide
2 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mansions of Madness Event Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S S
msg tools
So, I am a huge fan of Mansions of Madness and a a fan of the Lovecraft mythos. I have enjoyed the base game and print on demand expansions of MoM with a great gaming group. Owning the game, I play as the keeper. In a way it has taken me back 25-30 years to the old RPG days when I was the DM using box sets of basic and advanced D&D.

However, since those days long ago (100+ board games since) I have played and enjoyed many cooperative RPG-influenced games that do not require a player to play singularly as the opposition in the game. My favorites would be Warhammer Quest/Heroquest and its sci-fi counterpart the fan-created Rogue Trader 40K (not to be confused with the recent Fantasy Flight/Games Workshop tradeoff).

During the most recent Mansions of Madness game session, I felt the first inclination in the year and a half that I have owned the game to do some conversions to gameplay. Maybe just to create play value beyond the variables presented in the standard system, which I enjoy anyway.

I have enjoyed reviewing the forum posts and files related to eliminating the Keeper, but I never thought it was necessary. I still don't feel it needs to happen, but I am curious about the possibilities a different type of gameplay might bring to the table.

So the short of it is that I am creating random events (a chart at first and eventually a deck) and some simple monster action rules to use most of the existing MoM components to create a Keeper-less experience. Most scenario-based elements would be in play, events, objectives, etc. A few rules will inevitably be tweaked. Right now I am not worried too much about translating existing rules and scenarios as much as I am wanting to expand the use of these great Lovecraft elements.

Based on my experience with this game, I imagine that an event deck with relatively the same flavor as Keeper action and mythos cards will prove to be quite nasty and unforgiving to the players facing it. Perhaps I will factor in some type of threat counter triggering system that tells you which deck to choose from. I already see a need for location specific decks. Regardless, players will need to work together to survive.

Anyway, I am going to play around a bit. I just picked up a reprinted, revised Forbidden Alchemy, so I will be distracted a bit by standard gameplay.

ss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i like this idea, i would love to see random old ones added to play as well, sort of certain actions and events that play out will lead to a particular old one being revealed which would have an effect on play in some way, prehaps certain items found. No idea how this could really be pulled off but it has to be possibel to bring the old ones mechanic into MOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.