Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Snoop Dogg is a rasta now.

Quote:
Rapper Snoop Dogg announced Monday that he's burying his name and old career, all because of a religious experience with Rastafari, an Afrocentric religion with origins in Jamaica

Skeptical++

Totally coincidentally (I'm sure), he also has a new single out. A Reggae single!

I somehow doubt anyone could not know who Snoop Dogg is, but on the off chance there are some old foggies here who have somehow missed him...one of the most popular Hip Hop artists, although probably known more for his producing on other Hip Hop albums, and doing background vocals with his fairly distinctive voice on...oooooh...everybody's album. He's the first voice here (La-da-da-da-dahh)...

...and doing background vocals again...

...and do I need to mention pretty famously misogynist, as well as a HUUUUUUGE fan of weed?

So...whaddya all think?

Poll: Snoop Dogg now a Rasta - for real?
SRSLY?
Yup, it's true, he's awakened and is rasta for real
Nope, marketing ploy
      35 answers
Poll created by XanderF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure either way, but I still hate reggae.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

...and do I need to mention pretty famously misogynist, as well as a HUUUUUUGE fan of weed?

I'm no expert, but in my limited understanding, being a huge fan of weed would in no way disqualify someone from going Rasta.

Anyway, many musicians have become more socially conscientious in their older years, and if that's actually the case with Snoop, then more power to him. It's just a shame I have no desire to listen to this reggae single ever again, whereas his earlier music is pretty catchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Not sure either way, but I fucking love Snoop. The way only a suburban white kid who was twelve when "The Chronic" came out can love Snoop. Gin and Juice will be on every party playlist I make from here until the end of time. Both Snoop's version and the hysterical cover by Ween.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
as well as a HUUUUUUGE fan of weed?

That's the crucial bit of info here. Before, he was breaking the law every time he did his favorite thing in the world (smoking up). Now he's engaging in a holy sacrament. Pretty clear upgrade if you ask me.

Bonus RSP question: does or does not the existence of Rastafarianism require that the USA legalize marijuana on religious freedom grounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I listened to the reggae single, and while I still love Snoop, I can't wait for him to drop the act and get back to rapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
The Next Episode got me into rap with the 'Na na na na na....' hook

Great song and 2001 (Dr Dre) is my all-time favourite album.

The late great Nate Dogg on vocals there. I love that hook too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Wha? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't care. Less hip hop and more reggae suits me just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Even dub?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
That song sucked. Snoop, go back to what you do best please.
Putting his bitch in her place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Hatah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Wha? Why?

It's the mixing of care-free, effortless, even lazy Caribbean beats and melodies with very serious subjects that doesn't gel. For some reason the music makes me angry at it's unintended irony. One reason I suspect is that drunken, stoned kids listen to it as party music without realizing what the real intent was. I blame that in equal amounts on the vapid college party atmosphere that U.S. kids flock to and the artists themselves not matching the mood of the music with the message.

So the jarring tone/message is one thing, but the simplistic music style doesn't grab me either. IMO, it's textureless and boring but insistent enough so it's hard to let fade into the background (like folk music or country can) which then makes it annoying when others are listening to it.

I can listen to and enjoy Carribean music at times, but Reggae just grates against my auditory apparatus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Even dub?

It depends, anytime you "hybridize" a form a music you are changing it's context. The more it varies from the original form, the more I can appreciate it. The point is different. It's an adventure in style at that point and the aesthetic changes. In that vein, I can listen to any cover song that makes a fundamental change to the song, even if it is Reggae or country, because it's the change that is interesting. Hayseed Dixie is a very entertaining band, even though I hate Country.

EDIT: Check this out, it is unabashedly awesome, even though the tone has changed 100%:

I know many are aware of the original, but for those who are musically challenged:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Asur wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Wha? Why?

It's the mixing of care-free, effortless, even lazy Caribbean beats and melodies with very serious subjects that doesn't gel. For some reason the music makes me angry at it's unintended irony. One reason I suspect is that drunken, stoned kids listen to it as party music without realizing what the real intent was. I blame that in equal amounts on the vapid college party atmosphere that U.S. kids flock to and the artists themselves not matching the mood of the music with the message.

So the jarring tone/message is one thing, but the simplistic music style doesn't grab me either. IMO, it's textureless and boring but insistent enough so it's hard to let fade into the background (like folk music or country can) which then makes it annoying when others are listening to it.

I can listen to and enjoy Carribean music at times, but Reggae just grates against my auditory apparatus.

Wikipedia just reminded me of a perfect example. "I shot the Sheriff" by Bob Marley: I don't feel the injustice that makes the subject want to kill the police. I don't feel the frustration and anger at the plight of the oppressed. The lyrics are a protest song, but the music is a party anthem. But, If I listen to "Cop Killer" by Body Count, I feel the anger, the injustice, the drive for revenge.

Listen to Cop Killer below and it's hard to imagine a bunch of suburban kids at a frat/sorority party swaying and dancing to it, declaring "This is my jam!". If it did come on, odds are they are going to be uncomfortable and that is a successful delivery of the message.

Cop Killer (NSFW, due to explicit language)

I Shot The Sherrif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Definitely a marketing ploy, but then again his entire career was a marketing ploy.

As a side note, for those interested in the life of Bob Marley, there is a new documentary out that I recently watched that is really good:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Definitely a marketing ploy, but then again his entire career was a marketing ploy.

You say that as if it's unusual. The man is a professional entertainer. Marketing ploys are his stock in trade. He's also one of the marketing minds behind bringing "gangsta" attitude to the suburbs and capturing some of the teenage rebellion that used to sell rock records for rap instead. It was a brilliant move, and it saved music in the early 90s from the equally calculated but immensely less enjoyable marketing ploy of grunge/alternative rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
It was a brilliant move, and it saved music in the early 90s from the equally calculated but immensely less enjoyable marketing ploy of grunge/alternative rock.

I personally prefer the melancholic grunge generation to the macho gangsta-rap generation.

I'm sorry. Grunge sucks balls. Rock died the day Kurt Cobain's whiny self-pitying ass picked up a guitar and started mumbling at a microphone. Or more specifically when someone decided they would pay him for it. Take rock 'n' roll, subtract everything fun and exciting about it and add the contents of a thirteen-year-old girl's diary, and presto! You have grunge.

The only sad thing about Cobain's suicide is that he didn't live long enough for us to see his humiliating decline, culminating with an appearance on American Idol's "Nirvana night."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

You say that as if it's unusual. The man is a professional entertainer. Marketing ploys are his stock in trade. He's also one of the marketing minds behind bringing "gangsta" attitude to the suburbs and capturing some of the teenage rebellion that used to sell rock records for rap instead. It was a brilliant move, and it saved music in the early 90s from the equally calculated but immensely less enjoyable marketing ploy of grunge/alternative rock.

I'm not blaming him, I'm saying it is what it is. I enjoyed his works in my day.

Bob Marley is a creation of his genre, Snoop is just imitating it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reggae is great but Snoop's reggae is crap. His rap in the 90s was great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
It was a brilliant move, and it saved music in the early 90s from the equally calculated but immensely less enjoyable marketing ploy of grunge/alternative rock.

I personally prefer the melancholic grunge generation to the macho gangsta-rap generation.

I'm sorry. Grunge sucks balls. Rock died the day Kurt Cobain's whiny self-pitying ass picked up a guitar and started mumbling at a microphone. Or more specifically when someone decided they would pay him for it. Take rock 'n' roll, subtract everything fun and exciting about it and add the contents of a thirteen-year-old girl's diary, and presto! You have grunge.

The only sad thing about Cobain's suicide is that he didn't live long enough for us to see his humiliating decline, culminating with an appearance on American Idol's "Nirvana night."

If I cared a little more about music I would say you're dead to me. As it is I will just say you lost some cool points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

But, but, grunge/alternative rock saved us from Hair Metal! I'd much rather hear Layne Staley sing about him being the Man In The Box than Jani Lane sing "She's my cherry pie".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Most. Overrated. Song. Ever.

Sure, but the beauty of that song was it was mocking the very people who idolized it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I will forgive you for saying:
I'm a Communist
I love Jersey Shore
Beer is gross

I won't forgive:
Well done steak is best
Alice in Chains sucks
It's my right to do 60 in the left lane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

If I cared a little more about music I would say you're dead to me. As it is I will just say you lost some cool points.

You live in Seattle, you've been brainwashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.