Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this is silly I know, but what the hell.

My FLGS has these games on its "scratch and dent" shelf at reduced prices and I am struggling to decide which one to purchase.

Quest: A Time of Heroes
Ventura
Five Fingered Severance
Android
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game

My group tends to prefer games with player interaction over Euro-type solitaire, some theme over abstraction, fun over min/max math problems. Generally, the group is 2 -6 players.

Based on these criteria, what is YOUR recommendation and why?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Go knock a game you really want off the shelf.

Buy if from the scratch and dent shelf tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Go knock a game you really want off the shelf.

Buy if from the scratch and dent shelf tomorrow.

Wish it worked that way. The shop is an online retailer that only keeps a storefront to please a few of its suppliers. All the good stuff is kept in the warehouse in the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is the Game of Thrones card game at the store?

I love that game. Great interaction. If you are a fan of the books, this is a must have.
I really enjoyed playing it.

It fits all your criteria. We had lots of interaction. Conspired against the leader. A little math, but not much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Game of thrones won't play 6 out of the box. You will need 2 of the big box expansions to get the 5th and 6th deck, and a 2nd core set to really balance all 6 decks (from my research)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of thrones scratches the CCG itch I got from M:TG, Shadowfist, Wyvern, Netrunner, Mech Warrior, Highlander, Harry Potter, and all the others...looking back, why did I buy so many of them and never play them more than once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android's a hard to find title now-a-days, and there's no plans to reprint it in the original boardgame iteration.

If you have the time to learn and play it, it's a good game.

The issues most people have with it are that there are some scenarios that can cut off a person's entire turn -- so deck knowledge (at least of your dark/light cards) is critical to understanding the game. If you play to be surprised, don't get mad when you can't move because your cybernetic systems malfunction every time you get two hops away from Hass-Bioroid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android.

There is no other game you will play that i am aware of today that uses the same mechanics and such deep thematic story telling than this game.

What makes this game unique is the fact that your characters are not just doing X,Y and Z to solve a crime but that their own personal stories unfold based on interactions with other players. This unfolding plot for each of the characters becomes part of the game! Its truly amazing.

The narrative this creates as you play the game is more thematic than any game i have played before.

Yes, there are some fiddly elements to the game and its big and long. BUT.. if you really sit and play it you will not find another game like it anywhere.. guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Game of Thrones, if you don't mind being limited to 4 players.

The game is pretty much all player interaction. Bluffing, threatening, dealing, suggesting, cajoling, etc... to get others to do what you want. The theme is very well done (if you like the books; character abilities generally play off of plot points). It's also a lot of fun, and it's hard to min/max when you've got diplomacy to deal with (and the ability to defend other players, redirect challenges, etc...).

However, if being limited to 4 is a breaking point, then I would skip it. You can play with more, but it becomes a bit unwieldy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't recommend any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Couldn't recommend any of those.

I almost said this, then I saw Android on your list. I'm going to be the third guy that says "Get that one". I picked it up on clearance for 25$ a year ago, we played it three times and loved each game more than the last. Well worth the 25$ (and we will play it again, the problem hasn't been a lack of desire but a game group that grew too large for it and its length).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
from that selection... Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.