brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading comprehension isn't the greatest, so I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

On that campaign sheet(which I don't have in front of me) there are five quests on it, not counting the interludes or finales.

Whoever wins the intro quest chooses which (official) quest to do first, and whoever wins that one chooses the next, and this goes on until three quests are complete...then the interlude...right?

If the heroes win, do I just hand them the quest book and they choose which one they want to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Choosing quests in campaign mode and the sheet their recorded on
brendanb wrote:
If the heroes win, do I just hand them the quest book and they choose which one they want to do?

You can. Or you can let them use whatever criteria they'd like. FFG chose not to hold your hand for this part. Make your own fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Stewart
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
We shall drink to our partnership. Do you like gin? It is my only weakness.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are Five act one quests. The side that wins the Intro gets to choose the next one. After three act one quests are done, then the winner of the most first act quests is the determination factor for the interlude (consult the book to which of the two you have to choose). Then it is act two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
brendanb wrote:

You can. Or you can let them use whatever criteria they'd like. FFG chose not to hold your hand for this part. Make your own fun.

They did, however, say that the information in the quest book was designed to be public. With my players I'm just giving them some flavor intro, but if they wanted more info about what they'd be doing on a quest, I'd give it to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the advantages of winning a quest is getting to pick the next quest. If the OL knows all the quests and the heroes do not then this is a big handicap to the heroes and a huge advantage to the OL.

Some quests are easier than others. Some quests are impossible for certain hero groups. They should know this before they pick IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the campaign, you play the Intro, 3 Act I quests, an Interlude, 3 Act II quests and the Finale. Whomever wins the current quest gets to choose the next quest, except for the Interlude and Finale.

When you're in Act II, there is a left and right side option, "follow-up" quest. If the heroes won the Act I quest, then only the left side option can be selected. The the overlord won the Act I quest, only the right side option can be selected. If neither side won (i.e. that quest was one of the 2 that wasn't played in Act I), then only the right side option can be selected.

Does that help?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much...it makes much more sense now...

My follow up question was going to be about available quests in act II, and I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of "if nobody played the quest, then the OL is assumed to have won."

That means that if the heroes have a choice, then they only have the corresponding act I quests that they have won, and the rest is from the right hand column (OL side)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendanb wrote:
That means that if the heroes have a choice, then they only have the corresponding act I quests that they have won, and the rest is from the right hand column (OL side)

Pretty much, though there might be some Act II quests on the right hand side that have a Relic the heroes might want (though I'm not sure, I haven't looked at the different rewards).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Butler
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

When you're in Act II, there is a left and right side option, "follow-up" quest. If the heroes won the Act I quest, then only the left side option can be selected. The the overlord won the Act I quest, only the right side option can be selected. If neither side won (i.e. that quest was one of the 2 that wasn't played in Act I), then only the right side option can be selected.

Good thing you posted this...
I'm getting ready to run our first "campaign" on Saturday (thus far, we've just done one shots, so the players can get a feel for the game), and, as I originally read the rules, the section:
"All Act I quests correspond with certain Act II quests, and the winner of
the Act I quest will determine which of the Act II quests are available for the players to choose during Act II of the campaign."
had me thinking that the (heroes / Overlord) would choose either the left quest or the right quest, depending...
I totally missed the next sentence about there not being any choice in the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK wait, so when choosing the quests to do in Act II, you aren't limited to the ones that correspond to the ones you did in Act I?

Rereading the rules I can see how that would be the case, but I wasn't sure. I had assumed that you had to pick from Act II quests that correspond to the Act I quests you did for story-line purposes.

Anyway, I think the wording would be more clear if, instead of saying, "If a certain Act I quest was not played during the campaign, it is considered to be won by the overlord." they said, "If the players choose an Act II quest that doesn't correspond to a quest played in Act I, they may only choose a quest listed on the right side of the log."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's unclear about the current wording? Seems perfectly clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
What's unclear about the current wording? Seems perfectly clear to me.

I'm not sure if I'd call it "unclear", but perhaps "less clear". I was confused the first few times I read it I think because the wording seems backward and passive. They are talking about choosing Act II quests, so that's the "action" that should be featured up front. Also, they make you refer back to which side you can choose when the overlord wins, rather than just specifying the side.

Of course this is all very nitpicky, and I don't want to go further down that rabbit hole. I simply find my wording more clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one took me a few readings. The issue is the multiple meanings of "choose." I think they saying, "The winner of the Act I quest determines which Act II quest..." or "decides" as which side wins makes available a specific Act II quest. There's no player choice in the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.