Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Medeiros
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I freaking love Jurassic Park. And what makes me sad is that there was never a great Jurassic Park board game. Therefore I have decided I might go and make my own. Not for publishing obviously, just for me and my friends.

The general idea is you and your fellow players are trying to keep the park in order. There will be a slew of mission types that all involve upkeep of the park (repairing fences, recovering escaped animals, etc.). Various equipment and controls will exist in different locations to be gathered and used by the players (a jeep to move along roads, animal feed to feed or lure dinosaurs, main control room to alter conditions the board, and so on).

But the real coolness will come from how the dinosaurs interact with you and their situations. This might mainly be an excuse for me to test a complex (but not complicated) matrix of reaction and situational behaviors. If the Rex is injured, sick, agitated, or hungry, it will react in different ways to different situations. The idea is that the players should feel like they are dealing with living dinosaurs, breathing life into an effective Jurassic Park simulation.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have. Also, I bought a set of miniatures from the actual Jurassic Park board game (T Rex, Raptors and Dilophosaurus). I'm hoping to have miniatures for all the major species found on Isla Nublar according to the novel. I've been hunting around on eBay but with varying results. Any idea where I can get some real quality dinosaur miniatures, about 2" tall?

Like these guys:

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill put out "Dinosaurs of the Lost World" a LONG time ago. It had mini-quests where you did stuff. You also ran around the board picking up things you needed. With the mini-quests, you landed on a square, then went to a cardstock gameboard and went through the quest.

For your situational matrix, you can just use DungeonQuest's 1E's monster reaction mechanics: Player B would draw a card for Player A without showing it. Player A would pick one of the standard three actions (run, attack, wait and see) on the card. Player B would tell him the consequences. Each card had a reaction for each monster in the game (only five of them). The cards were the randomizers, so what worked against a specific monster on the previous card draw wouldn't necessarily work on the other.

As for dino minis, eh, go to Walmart and pick up some small plastic dinos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Medeiros
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check out that game, thanks!

The situational matrix I'm imagining would probably use a combination of cards and booklet, with page and table number references. Essentially flip to the appropriate section based on the animal present (maybe even use cards as bookmarks, T Rex card when the T Rex is present, for example).

I know that book full of charts sounds a bit lame perhaps, but I'm imagining something light and friendly, so you can glance over a chart and quickly see "Oh wow, this dinosaur is agitated, there's a good chance it will charge me" and make decisions. Die rolls would determine results, and would string together to create believable behavior.

I own and love Dungeon Quest. I don't really care for that system a whole lot though, as it lacks some meaningful feedback. I much prefer the monster to act first, which alters your environment as a player and gives you a chance to figure out how you would like to respond. Then, in turn, the monster provides feedback to the player as to whether their choice was good or bad.

Maybe I'll do a follow up post once I get it workin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years since I've read the book. Which species were specifically included? Besides the three you mentioned, I specifically recall:

--the sick stegosaurus
--pterodactyls
--compsognathus (or something like that, the little chicken dinos that nibbled on Hammond after he broke his leg)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.