Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition) – Conversion Kit» Forums » General

Subject: Class cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The contents of the conversion kit doesn't list any class cards.

Does that mean that all of the 1st ed heroes are expected not to gain XP, or (worse) use the class cards from the 2nd ed heroes? Because (and I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who has only played two short games so far, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that's going to lead to some oddities and somewhat bland heroes, I would have thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Does that mean that all of the 1st ed heroes are expected not to gain XP, or (worse) use the class cards from the 2nd ed heroes? Because (and I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who has only played two short games so far, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that's going to lead to some oddities and somewhat bland heroes, I would have thought.

Err... what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

The Conversion Kit isn't adding any new content; it's merely "converting" the heroes and monsters from 1E. Since 1E didn't have classes, there's not much to convert there.

I'm guessing there will be future expansions for Descent 2E that will have more classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

Not sure what you are getting at here.

All of the heroes from the conversion kit have are assigned an archetype just like the 8 included in the base game. They are then free to choose one of the 2 classes included in the base game associated with their archetype.

I don't know why this would lead to bland characters. It's no different than choosing one of the 8 included in the game the conversion kit just gives you more options.

If your concern is that the 8 heroes in the base game are clearly supposed to be associated with a specific class, well that is just something you (and the group I played with the other day) are going to need to get over. I think it was a mistake for FFG to include heroes that were so obviously suited to a specific class thematically when their clear intention is to give you the option to choose any class within the characters archetype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm misremembering then, but I thought that 1st ed ended up with quite a lot of skill cards (which is effectively what the class cards function as). If every fighter is now choosing between beserker or knight class cards, and every mage has to be a necromancer or a rune-whatsit, is there really that much mileage in having dozens of different character cards in each archetype for what are just a handful of classes? Rightlyu or wrongly, I never got the impression with 1st ed that every magic user was either a runey or a necormancer - there seemed to be greater scope to mix and match skills as characters progressed.

Of course, the wise money is betting on FFG producing quite a lot of card-based expansions, which may well include different classes within each broad archetype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st Ed Heroes are put into one of the 4 archetypes: Warrior, Scout, Mage, Healer. The classes for these archetypes are in the base set (Berserker/Knight, Thief/Wildlander, Runemaster/Necromance, Disciple/Spiritspeaker respectively), and the 1st Ed heroes pick a class from their archetype just like the 2nd Ed heroes.

Not sure why you think that's a bad thing. Most likely when expansions are made, new classes will be introduced for the Archetypes, and the 1st Ed heroes will be able to use those right away...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Perhaps I'm misremembering then, but I thought that 1st ed ended up with quite a lot of skill cards (which is effectively what the class cards function as). If every fighter is now choosing between beserker or knight class cards, and every mage has to be a necromancer or a rune-whatsit, is there really that much mileage in having dozens of different character cards in each archetype for what are just a handful of classes? Rightlyu or wrongly, I never got the impression with 1st ed that every magic user was either a runey or a necormancer - there seemed to be greater scope to mix and match skills as characters progressed.

Of course, the wise money is betting on FFG producing quite a lot of card-based expansions, which may well include different classes within each broad archetype.

The problem was that skill selection in 1st edition was random. While there were more combinations there was less choice and the odds of a coherent theme forming decreased as expansions were added. I think that this approach deepens choice through restriction. Though you could always houserule something like out of class skills being available for 2 extra XP or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
vonpenguin wrote:
Though you could always houserule something like out of class skills being available for 2 extra XP or something.

One of the scenarios in the campaign I'm working on allows the heroes to purchase an out of class skill card if they win. Probably create chaos with broken combos but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
If every fighter is now choosing between beserker or knight class cards, and every mage has to be a necromancer or a rune-whatsit, is there really that much mileage in having dozens of different character cards in each archetype for what are just a handful of classes?

There's definitely more mileage in having 14 heroes to choose from for each class instead of 2; each heroes special abilities and stats will interact with the class deck in different ways.

Also, if I'm not mistaken (I'll be getting my copy of the game today), there are multiple options for upgrading within each class deck, so there could be two knights with significantly different class skills. Hero choice (greatly multiplied by the conversion kit) will influence these choices.

Yes, there are fewer possible builds when the heroes are limited to certain archetypes, and the archetypes are limited to two class decks. But the possibilities are still abundant; even if we consider each hero+class combination as a different play experience, and ignore the difference between the differing in-class builds, you're still looking at 112 distinct combinations, with a level of customization in each of those combinations.

And hopefully, what the hero options loose in raw potential combinations, they gain in cohesion and balance.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
vonpenguin wrote:
Though you could always houserule something like out of class skills being available for 2 extra XP or something.

One of the scenarios in the campaign I'm working on allows the heroes to purchase an out of class skill card if they win. Probably create chaos with broken combos but we'll see.

That's actually pretty cool. I can imagine some of the choices wouldn't work (i.e. if you grab the Disciple skill that lets your heal also remove conditions, it won't accomplish much), but there's enough cool stuff to make that a very worthwhile reward. Do they have to spend normal XP to buy it, and do they have to buy it right away (as opposed to having the option later in the campaign)? Personally I think it would be too good if they got it for free.

Going back to the original topic, there's no reason a character has to be a specific archetype. You never had an issue with Silhouette grabbing, say, a crossbow and a shield instead of daggers, right? Or any of the heroes with a shield in the art/figure deciding to use a two-handed weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sethala wrote:
Incarnadyne wrote:

That's actually pretty cool. I can imagine some of the choices wouldn't work (i.e. if you grab the Disciple skill that lets your heal also remove conditions, it won't accomplish much), but there's enough cool stuff to make that a very worthwhile reward. Do they have to spend normal XP to buy it, and do they have to buy it right away (as opposed to having the option later in the campaign)? Personally I think it would be too good if they got it for free.

I thought spend normal XP straightaway to keep it simple but put it in Act II so players might have some decent options. The same scenario has players test Willpower/Lore to avoid temporarily losing and/or exchanging skill cards so I might link the bonus to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My players spent their three xp last night. And I may look through the other skill cards and see if choosing a berserker skill as a knight would be bad or add flavor to the players characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.