Almon Chu
msg tools
With the new Baratheon expansion underway my friends and I have decided that we'd try to play a three-man game of The Game of Thrones Board Game with modified rules so that some combat may be resolved within the Battles of Westeros.

Here are the rules we've initially come up with, feel free to tell me what you think:

Westeros Mega Campaign Rules.

Two phases will be played for battle:

Phase 1: The standard GoT board game combat will play out. If all units are eliminated in this phase then combat will not carry onto to the second phase (this is so that calculating plots and ploys will still have a place.)

Phase 2: The Battle of Westeros phase will start with whatever units remain from the GoT board game phase.

Battle card strengths dictate the strength of commander you're able to play. If the card strength is too low then you simply go up from the lowest number. Each piece = 1.5 units via Westeros. You may choose different units for each .5 unit, however you must complete said unit if able. Therefore with two pieces you may only field 3 different units.

It is possible to play more than one commander, but the sum of their ranks must not exceed that of the Battle card; additional commanders also must be attached to pre-existing units. These attachments will NOT upgrade the rank of said units. Commanders must be attached to viable units.

Army Sizes:
2: 4
3: 5.5
4: 7

2-3 Piece armies play until the 4th turn marker.
4 piece armies play until the 5th turn marker.
4 dice are always rolled to determine Tokens.
3 Leadership tokens are given each turn (though you may save up to two between turns)
3 Cards are drawn every turn.
The capture of an enemy commander constitutes an instant win (therefore the fielding of extra commanders can be risky.)

A captured enemy commander cannot be played again until the defeated side scores a victory against the captor army. Captured enemy commanders cannot be transferred, if for whatever reason the captor army disbands/splits up then the captured enemy commander is returned (as the enemy commander escapes under lesser guard.) Therefore the loss of 1 unit within that army (unless the unit is immediately replaced with another) will constitute an escape. In the unlikely situation that all commanders are captured then the last remaining commander is considered uncapturable.

Losing 1.5 units (regardless of deployment associations) will constitute a loss of a unit. Losing 1.5 units that are blue must constitute the loss of a knight piece.

(Commander units are added to total units, therefore if you have 2 pieces in play you'll have a total of 4 units in the battles (1.5 x 2 + 1))

Knights = Ability to call upon Blue units. One is not allowed more than 2 blue archers. Blue cav can only be deployed on a 1-1 basis to infantry (green infantry will be factored into this ratio.) However Green Cav can be deployed on a limitless basis.
Red units = only available via Hero units.

Siege Engines will spawn 2 catapults (of random strength) and 1 basic infantry unit (warhost/sentinel/lannisport guard) (green) The spawn of catapults follow standard Board Game Rules.

Battles of Westeros phase is only played through the marching/defending armies, not through supporting armies. Only armies enter the Battles of Westeros phase, therefore units of only 1 strength are not considered armies and will not trigger the Battles of Westeros phase. An attack may not be spearheaded by a non-army, though a non-army may move to occupy unoccupied territory.

Terrain set up will be dictated by the third player, the third player rolls two D6 dice (A random number generator between 1-12 is also acceptable) to determine the number of terrain pieces to put down (larger joined pieces still counting as a single piece.) Orientation of the map and deployment zones are later decided between the two players; disagreements are settled with a single round of Rock-Paper-Scissors or a coin flip.

Momentum is always in favour of the force that won the first phase of combat.

Tully Expansion units will be given to the Starks.
Tribes of the Vale units will be given to the Lannisters.
And Brotherhood without Banners units will be given to the Baratheons.
The deployment of these units will be dictated with the previously stated rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know the Game of Thrones Board game, but this sounds like a very cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do something similar,except we use A Storm of Swords and key
the BoW battles to the Raid Option:

"3.Raid Order Modification- Stark/Lannister only.If both Houses
involved in a Raid, either as Raider or Target against each
other, Set up & resolve as a BoW Skirmish.
(as FFG releases additional Houses for BoW this rule"

We chose the Raid Option as it eliminates the need to try
to match AGOT Army pieces to actual BoW Units in a set
up (we consider that AGOT Army piece be it Inf or Knights
represents a variety of other troop types,so that a small
Raiding force would have a mixture of troop types).It also
eliminates the need to try to match BoW losses back out
to the AGOT Army pieces.If the Raider wins then the Raid
results take place,if it fails the Raid Token is removed.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almon Chu
msg tools
Old Dwarf wrote:
We do something similar,except we use A Storm of Swords and key
the BoW battles to the Raid Option:

"3.Raid Order Modification- Stark/Lannister only.If both Houses
involved in a Raid, either as Raider or Target against each
other, Set up & resolve as a BoW Skirmish.
(as FFG releases additional Houses for BoW this rule"

We chose the Raid Option as it eliminates the need to try
to match AGOT Army pieces to actual BoW Units in a set
up (we consider that AGOT Army piece be it Inf or Knights
represents a variety of other troop types,so that a small
Raiding force would have a mixture of troop types).It also
eliminates the need to try to match BoW losses back out
to the AGOT Army pieces.If the Raider wins then the Raid
results take place,if it fails the Raid Token is removed.

OD

Ah interesting. We chose the BoW battles to have bearing on more of the core game, so this way we can establish more player types within the main game. So that military ability on the field can make up for your lack of plotting/scheming (not that plotting and scheming won't have a place, as the battles won't start if you're completely destroyed within the board-game phase.)To us this feels more akin to the lore, where you had people who were excellent plotters and others who were excellent warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Zombie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thoughts like this have crossed my mind. Has any one tried a game like this? What kind of time frame did it take? With Baratheon coming out you could do a three player game, and have all the armies, it would be epic.

I only have the core BoW's so I don't know that much about the expansion skirmishes, but it seems like that skirmishes might be the best way to go for battle set up. Maybe you could, instead of using the card draws for troops listed on the skirmish cards you could draw one card for each strength of force you put in the battle. Most cards in the core set have 4 units on them, so at the end of the battle you would suffer losses in GoT of one unit for each 4 units lost in the BoW round. This would be very disadvantages for the winner of the fights, as in regular GoT they lose nothing in a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almon Chu
msg tools
MrZombie wrote:
Thoughts like this have crossed my mind. Has any one tried a game like this? What kind of time frame did it take? With Baratheon coming out you could do a three player game, and have all the armies, it would be epic.

I only have the core BoW's so I don't know that much about the expansion skirmishes, but it seems like that skirmishes might be the best way to go for battle set up. Maybe you could, instead of using the card draws for troops listed on the skirmish cards you could draw one card for each strength of force you put in the battle. Most cards in the core set have 4 units on them, so at the end of the battle you would suffer losses in GoT of one unit for each 4 units lost in the BoW round. This would be very disadvantages for the winner of the fights, as in regular GoT they lose nothing in a fight.

As stated in the rules we're doing a direct translation of GoT pieces to BoW pieces , instead of Skirmish cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Stark
Australia
Kingston Beach
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have posted my version of AGOT/BOW campaign rules to BGG awaiting their approval. Hopefully they will be uploaded soon. Please see my thread for an explanation of my approach. Sorry, maybe I should have posted that here.
F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.