Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest gives me one group of zombies, but the are not placed on the board. Instead, Lord Merick can try to raise one once per turn. If he succeeds, he can place one minion zombie. If I have reached the group limit, no new zombies can be raised until they are off the map.

We are playing with two heroes, so I can use 2 minions and 1 master, but the master can never be placed. So is my group limit the 2 minions or do I get to replace the master with a 3rd minion since I'm not allowed to place him.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
The group limit allows for 2 minions so that's the limit as far as the rules are concerned. If they had intended you to include the master in the minion total they could have said as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Once per turn, if Lord Merrick Farrow is adjacent to
a gravestone, he may attempt to raise a zombie as an
action. He tests [knowledge] If he passes, remove the gravestone
and place 1 minion zombie in that space. Zombies
cannot activate the turn they are raised (still climbing
our of the ground!). While the zombies are at their group
limit, the overlord cannot raise more zombies.
Also, see
"Reinforcements."

emphasis added

IMHO, it was designed that way as a 'balancing' factor. If the Heroes don't sprint to the keys, this can be a very hard encounter to win, especially with only 2 heroes. This keeps the Lt from raising every zombie real fast and winning in 5 turns.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does it really matter how many zombies you can spawn?

The zombies on the right graves will be able to leave in 1 round after they are spawned, because of diagonal movement.

I just got them all to safety as soon as possible and encounter 2 was not winnable with 5 zombies beating the cardinal.

We played with 2 heroes and in my opinion this quest is just too hard with just 2 of them, because search and the altar do not scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
Does it really matter how many zombies you can spawn?

The zombies on the right graves will be able to leave in 1 round after they are spawned, because of diagonal movement.

I just got them all to safety as soon as possible and encounter 2 was not winnable with 5 zombies beating the cardinal.

We played with 2 heroes and in my opinion this quest is just too hard with just 2 of them, because search and the altar do not scale.

Also got our clocks cleaned with 3 players, even with being able to move diagonally through those red blocking tiles (found out that too late), I still don't see how it is likely to stop the zombies as long as the guy succeeds every turn in summoning one. I even had the thief with the ranged 3 search ability and still we got one 7 range shot at a zombie, which of course failed and had the OL lined up his guys better, we wouldn't have even gotten that.

If the hallway were longer that the zombies had to exit from it would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

Also got our clocks cleaned with 3 players, even with being able to move diagonally through those red blocking tiles (found out that too late), I still don't see how it is likely to stop the zombies as long as the guy succeeds every turn in summoning one. I even had the thief with the ranged 3 search ability and still we got one 7 range shot at a zombie, which of course failed and had the OL lined up his guys better, we wouldn't have even gotten that.

And how did you do on encounter 2?
With all zombies beating on the cardinal the heroes didn't even reach the first room before he was dead.

Maybe would be better to not ignore the monster limit to make it more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

And how did you do on encounter 2?
With all zombies beating on the cardinal the heroes didn't even reach the first room before he was dead.

Maybe would be better to not ignore the monster limit to make it more balanced.

I haven't done it yet, but I don't like our odds at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did it last night with two heroes (Knight and Runemaster) and was able to kill two zombies before they got away since we got the Rune Key on the first search. And that was with me playing with three minion zombies instead of two at a time.

Second Encounter, we got the Cardinal out with about 6 health left (without using the altar since both the heroes only had a Willpower of 2) since we once again got lucky and got they key on the first search. Of course, that meant the two heroes had to fight three zombies, a shadow dragon and two barghests at the same time since the doors all unlocked when we opened the Library door.

So I would say the quest is decently balanced as it is...if you get a little lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How often did the Overlord fail to raise a zombie?

I was Overlord and I failed once, so I got 4 zombies out in about 7-8 turns.

Just looked at the quest again and I think you really have to run through the rocks and go straight for the key asap, trying to reach the caravan in turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what we did. We also had Sylrean, used her Feat on the first turn so two heroes could sprint and find the key on the first turn. That allowed us to kill 2 zombies (with 3 heroes).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.