Subject: I couldn't find this on snopes.com. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone I know on FB linked to [url=http://www.debbieschlussel.com/52489/gore-vidal-child-molester-helped-found-was-active-in-nambla/]an article by someone named Debbie Schlussel[/ur] which claims the author Gore Vidal who just died was a pedophile, etc. The article's claims seem a bit fantastic.

Anyone know who this article's author is an if anything in this is reliable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The "young hooker" comment is true, he did say that. It's tough to verify anything NAMBLA related since it's all one big echo chamber that takes you back to her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Someone I know on FB linked to [url=http://www.debbieschlussel.com/52489/gore-vidal-child-molester-helped-found-was-active-in-nambla/]an article by someone named Debbie Schlussel[/ur] which claims the author Gore Vidal who just died was a pedophile, etc. The article's claims seem a bit fantastic.

Anyone know who this article's author is an if anything in this is reliable?

Debbie Schlussel is a loon. She sees Muslim and antisemitic conspiracies behind every door and never uses a word if there's a more inflammatory word she could use instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Debbie Schlussel is not a credible source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
Debbie Schlussel is not a credible source.

Thanks folks.

For the record, any dissenters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a compilation of Schlusselmania from a lefty site that tracks (and mocks) all the major players in the right wing commentariat/bloggistocracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how the anti-Vidal article describes him as an "anti-Semite extraordinaire", while Vidal himself makes recourse to the charge of antisemitism to explain the charges brought against Polanksi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Famous people die.

Others exploit that for their own agenda.

Nothing new to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Famous people die.

Nothing new to see.

No, but I'd think if the claim is out and out libel that the author of the article would be afraid of getting suded by the estate.

EDIT:
I'd have put this thread in Chit Chat save for the material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Famous people die.

Nothing new to see.

No, but I'd think if the claim is out and out libel that the author of the article would be afraid of getting suded by the estate.

IANAL, but I'm fairly sure that round these parts you can't libel the dead. Maybe you could fall foul of something else (most obviously libelling someone still alive as a side-effect). I would have expected the US to be solar, but that I really don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Famous people die.

Nothing new to see.

IANAL, but I'm fairly sure that round these parts you can't libel the dead. Maybe you could fall foul of something else (most obviously libelling someone still alive as a side-effect). I would have expected tje US to be solar, but that I really don't know.

Perhaps but mostly they use fossil fuels. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Halfinger wrote:
Famous people die.

Nothing new to see.

IANAL, but I'm fairly sure that round these parts you can't libel the dead. Maybe you could fall foul of something else (most obviously libelling someone still alive as a side-effect). I would have expected tje US to be solar, but that I really don't know.

Perhaps but mostly they use fossil fuels. ninja

Nice one. Of course I blame it on iThing autocorrect. It was meant to be similar. How exactly it happened (what my actual typo was) I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Nice one. Of course I blame it on iThing autocorrect. It was meant to be similar. How exactly it happened (what my actual typo was) I have no idea.

I always turn off auto-correct. Because I tend to use words that are less common, I just get more interference and mistakes when it's on. Its spelling is bad but its grammar is worse. For example, most are based on the Chicago Manual of Style which frankly included blatant errors. The most famous is the affect. effect stuff. Th sentence below is wrong supposedly according to that manual. Yet in fact it's perfectly correct:

"Johnny affects to effect changes in people's attitudes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

I always turn off auto-correct.

I always turn it off on a real keyboard. But on the small soft keyboard on an iPhone, the tradeoff is different and it does correct actual errors more often than causing them. It would be even better if I could directly edit the dictionary, into which it has learned some of my commonest typos (tje for the in particular).

And as you say, nothing wrong with that sentence. But it's not the sort of case that matters on an iPhone which is mostly word by word corrections and will just accept affect and effect as both words usable anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.