Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm launching my my first game at a local convention this weekend, and wanted to see if anyone here has any advice on what I can do to make sure it's a positive experience for everyone there (including me!).

Here are my current plans:
- Giving out promo cards.
- Holding a drawing for a 'deluxe' version of the game.
- Actively demoing the game for at least a couple hours.
- Bringing a couple extra copies of the game to potentially sell, as well as a few accessories.

I'm hoping to play other games at the convention as well, but I'll certainly play my game anytime someone asks.

I doubt this game will ever really make money, but I want to make the most of this opportunity to share something I've worked on for a long time, and really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - a few things that helped us when we debuted at a con were making signage, having a sign up sheet for sending more info, wearing shirts with the game's name on it, having sign up sheets with time slots for your demo sessions.

Best wishes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be any publishers at the convention? It might be worth your while to bring a few professional-looking print outs that explain the nuts and bolts of the game--game name, playing time, target audience, main mechanics, and the game's "hook."

PS, I had no idea that your game was available on The Game Crafter. When did that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
senfoonglim wrote:
Hey - a few things that helped us when we debuted at a con were making signage, having a sign up sheet for sending more info, wearing shirts with the game's name on it, having sign up sheets with time slots for your demo sessions.

I actually do have a banner and a matching shirt, but I hadn't thought about the sign up sheets.

How did you setup the times? Did you leave enough time to play a whole game, or enough to get people started? My game takes about 45-60 minutes to learn and play the first time through, so I'm wondering how I'd setup the slots.

kurthl33t wrote:
Will there be any publishers at the convention? It might be worth your while to bring a few professional-looking print outs that explain the nuts and bolts of the game--game name, playing time, target audience, main mechanics, and the game's "hook."

PS, I had no idea that your game was available on The Game Crafter. When did that happen?

They aren't expecting any publishers there this year that I know of, but I've got a website set up just in case.

The game has technically been for sale for a little while so my playtesters and any 'early adopters' could buy it at a discount prior to the launch, but I haven't officially 'published' it on the site yet. I'm going to be doing that very soon, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start a demo program. See who in your demos are the most enthusiastic about your game and ask them if they have any experience teaching games and what public events they go to (eg. Meetup). Prepare a flyer how to contact you for the program. Most demo volunteers, however, expect free product in return for service. You don't have to do this all at the con, of course. Meetup is your friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there - at one convention, we actually just did 15 minute "speed rounds" for a few hours, and then had full game slots available later in the day / weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
senfoonglim wrote:
Hey there - at one convention, we actually just did 15 minute "speed rounds" for a few hours, and then had full game slots available later in the day / weekend.

That may have worked better.

I ended up scheduling for the time the game usually takes, and consequently had three games going simultaneously at one point - people showed up late, extra people showed up, etc. It was hectic, but I think it worked out ok; I even sold the extra couple of copies that I brought.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This local convention wouldn't happen to be Space City Con would it? If so I'll be sure to stop by for a demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
This local convention wouldn't happen to be Space City Con would it? If so I'll be sure to stop by for a demo.

Erik...he's gonna be in Austin.

Come to the launch of 'The Expanse' at the Austin Board Game Bash!

EDIT: "was" in Austin whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.